Old 04-08-2012, 06:51 PM   #1

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
1st trip of the year - mildew!

Friday we decided to be very spontaneous and after work we grabbed some clothes and the dogs, hooked up the trailer, and headed to the beach - pretty much with no more preparation than that! Hadn't even de-winterized! I was appalled to discover when I went inside that there was mildew all over the cabinets and fiberglass in the kitchen/bath area! Also, two of the kitchen cabinet panels had de-laminated, one completely.

This is our 9th year with the trailer. Every year previous I have left a small space heater running in it all winter, and a dri-z-air unit which I empty occasionally. This year I decided to just winterize with antifreeze and skip the heater. I still used a dri-z-air unit and emptied it several times during the winter. Well, this is the first year I've seen any mildew or de-lamination! I'm sure I can fix the panels, and the mildew cleaned up pretty easily.

Otherwise we had a nice trip. We went to Fort Stevens in Oregon. Arrived about 10pm Friday but the rangers were still there checking folks in. At first they put us in a loop that was the life of the party, and the party appeared to be right where our spot was supposed to be! So we went back and asked for something quieter and he put us next to the tent area. Very quiet and perfect for us. So we had a nice weekend, took the dogs to the beach, and lazed around the camper and relaxed.

When we got home we gave the trailer a nice bath, and now I've got a few things on my chores list to fix, and the de-winterizing to do. I'm hoping we'll get to take more of these 'spur of the moment' trips this summer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_5760.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	212.1 KB
ID:	155300  

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Lovely story. Not about the mildew, of course, but about the spontaneous trip; it's what Airstreaming is all about.

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:58 PM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Oh, and I almost forgot, i saw several Airstreams - including a BASECAMP! I was very excited, first time I've seen one of those 'in the wild'

Old 04-08-2012, 07:07 PM   #4

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Sounds like fun (not the mildew) but we went on our first trip of the year as well! Beautiful weather and camped with my Mother and her friends. I can't wait until our next trip! Oh and I love the dog biting the water!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2269906573.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	344.2 KB
ID:	155301   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2560114623.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	387.1 KB
ID:	155302  

blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Where was that, Brad?

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
Friday we decided to be very spontaneous and after work we grabbed some clothes and the dogs, hooked up the trailer, and headed to the beach - pretty much with no more preparation than that! Hadn't even de-winterized! I was appalled to discover when I went inside that there was mildew all over the cabinets and fiberglass in the kitchen/bath area! Also, two of the kitchen cabinet panels had de-laminated, one completely.

This is our 9th year with the trailer. Every year previous I have left a small space heater running in it all winter, and a dri-z-air unit which I empty occasionally. This year I decided to just winterize with antifreeze and skip the heater. I still used a dri-z-air unit and emptied it several times during the winter. Well, this is the first year I've seen any mildew or de-lamination! I'm sure I can fix the panels, and the mildew cleaned up pretty easily.

Otherwise we had a nice trip. We went to Fort Stevens in Oregon. Arrived about 10pm Friday but the rangers were still there checking folks in. At first they put us in a loop that was the life of the party, and the party appeared to be right where our spot was supposed to be! So we went back and asked for something quieter and he put us next to the tent area. Very quiet and perfect for us. So we had a nice weekend, took the dogs to the beach, and lazed around the camper and relaxed.

When we got home we gave the trailer a nice bath, and now I've got a few things on my chores list to fix, and the de-winterizing to do. I'm hoping we'll get to take more of these 'spur of the moment' trips this summer.
Sounds like our boat! Every year I find mildew after winter storage. We do not run a heater in New England as that would be difficult but we do deal with mildew! I find that bleach kills the little buggers but the thing that I wonder about are the spaces you can't get to...
Good luck!
Bruce
Old 04-08-2012, 07:40 PM   #7

Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad
Where was that, Brad?
Melvern Outlet Lake KS. About an hour and half South from Kansas City, full hook ups right on the water! It's full most of the year but we booked in January.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:44 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmitch5 View Post
Melvern Outlet Lake KS. About an hour and half South from Kansas City, full hook ups right on the water! It's full most of the year but we booked in January.
I can see why it is full most of the year!
You even got an Easter basket....
Bruce
Old 04-08-2012, 07:51 PM   #9

Olathe , Kansas
My Mom dropped it of this morning. I also got some Airstream awning lights! Here is a pic after the fog lifted.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3834939261.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	719.4 KB
ID:	155318  
Old 04-08-2012, 08:04 PM   #10

1968 17' Caravel
Brad, that is lovely! I'd like to find a place around here that was right on the water like that!

Old 04-08-2012, 09:01 PM   #11

Olathe , Kansas
Thanks! For flat Kansas it isn't bad.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:53 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
mildew

We live i Gig Harbor and justgot our trailer in November. I left a small 1500 watt elec space heater in it all winter. I'ts new and I know I'm being fussy but maybe not. It added about 17.00 a month to our electric bill. We used it a total of four times this winter all to the ocean, Long Beach, Moclips, Kalaloch and Lincoln City.For the extra cost I think I will keep it heated. Hope to see you on the road.
Dan
Old 04-08-2012, 11:37 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
Brad, I'm glad you and Zell had a wonderful weekend. The weather was perfect. Love the pictures and the Easter Basket

Drew