Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2016, 05:02 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Carriere , Mississippi
1st Trip, 1st Day, 1st Mistake

I have had my 25' FC for a year and this is our first trip. After driving for an hour or so, I stopped and checked on things. When I went inside, the kitchen faucet was gurgling. I had left the water pump on and the trailer vibration caused the kitchen sink faucet to turn on. Fresh water went from 100% to 0% and grey water went to 100%. First lesson booked.

Towards the end of the drive, thought I could make it to the next exit before the fuel alarm light came on. Didn't make it. I pulled over on the side of I59 and got my 5 gallon spare container of diesel out and poured it in. Not sure what happens to a Duramax if you run out of diesel (probably not good). I was not interested in trying to purge the air out of a diesel on the side of I59.

We are camped out in Fort Payne,AL and headed to Nova Scotia via Wilkes Barre,PA, Norwitch, CT (King Arthur Flour),and Freeport,ME (LLBean 24-7). Expect to be in Marion,VA tonight.

Joel and Jane
BirdDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 05:08 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Just be grateful it all went down the drain and not all over the inside of the trailer!
Old 07-11-2016, 05:26 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
And this is how we learn.

Have a great trip!

Maggie
Old 07-11-2016, 05:41 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
At least you didn't accidentally connect the city water hose to the black water flush connection.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:47 AM   #5
Luminous

1983 27' Excella
Vesuvius , Virginia
Are you staying at Hungry Mother SP in Marion? Nice place.
LY007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 05:57 AM   #6
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
We all make mistakes. Speaking for myself, that's probably the most effective way I learn. Luckily, my learning hasn't resulted in much destruction, smoke, or sparks.

I would guess that your AS owner's manual has a lot of good information in it, including some kind of check list or at least a sequence of events described that will cover the entire "going somewhere" sequence. I would suggest reading that thoroughly. There will be a TON of information, but it is most likely good information. Condense it down if needed to a line-by-line check list and follow it. Eventually, it will get imprinted in your mind, but it is always good to review the list before you hit the road.

Another good idea is to find an experienced member in your area that would not mind helping you. 99.9% of experienced RV'ers would be more than happy to help someone else get down the road safely and uneventfully.

I don't like making "problem" memories part of our travelling experience if it can be avoided.

Good luck on your future travels. Sounds like a great trip you have planned!
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 11:09 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
Not too bad for the first trip! These are all good reminders for the whole community!
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 11:12 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Never, ever, never get lower than 1/4 tank in your Duramax!
It is hard on the primer and the injector pump and fuel filter!
The is now fuel pump on these as in ordinary gas engines- only the injector pump.
The fuel just basically flows from the tank to the injector pump by gravity.
The big primer button is for when you do run out of fuel or change the fuel filter.
Running it empty puts lots of stress on the primer and could cause it to develop leaks and try to suck air causing your truck to go into limp home mode. When this happens he only solution is replace the entire primer assembly or install an aftermarket inline electric fuel pump.
At any rate, running a Duramax out of fuel drastically reduces the life of many components.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 11:13 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Indianapolis , Indiana
I am a newbie also. I am learning, the only way to learn is for things to happen. I was pulling out for our first trip and pulled all the piping off the bottom of my 22FB Sport. We went any way and used the campground facilities. Expensive mistake but will not do THAT again ha ha! Enjoy.
Jim Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 11:15 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Yes, "Mistakes" are the Great Teachers, and we've all had our share of them, trust me... Afterwards you say, "Well, I won't do THAT again!" And for the most part that's true.

A check list is a good idea especially if you are new to RVing in general or there are long periods between trips. Don't be afraid to create one of your own... We have one and use if for EVERY trip as we prepare to travel ... it's mostly about what we want to talk, but you can also have another for the technical/mechanical stuff you need to remember...disconnecting the shore power, putting the TV antenna down, shutting the vents, putting up the stabilizers, turning off the water pump, locking the outdoor compartment doors, etc, etc. We also do a final walk-through & walk-around when we are ready, and check the lights to make sure they are working before we move the trailer an inch.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 11:34 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mount Angel , Oregon
The word "mistake" can convey such a negative connotation. I tried to raise my kids with mistakes are simply "opportunities to learn".
duncans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 11:40 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Arnold View Post
I am a newbie also. I am learning, the only way to learn is for things to happen. I was pulling out for our first trip and pulled all the piping off the bottom of my 22FB Sport. We went any way and used the campground facilities. Expensive mistake but will not do THAT again ha ha! Enjoy.
Wowa..... how'd you do that?
Old 07-11-2016, 11:50 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
Birddog
I'm afraid I have more bad news....at this rate you'll get to Nova Scotia by mid-2017!
On a more constructive note, make sure you head up to Cape Breton and camp a couple of days at either of two campgrounds where the road runs out: Cape North or Meat Cove. You should be getting there (if nothing else happens) at the height of blueberry and crab season. Safe travels. jon
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 12:25 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Keene , New Hampshire
King Arthur

Be sure to go to Norwich Vermont to find King Arthur, not Noreich Connecticut
phowe46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 01:14 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
McDonough , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
At least you didn't accidentally connect the city water hose to the black water flush connection.
Ummm, my almost-late husband did exactly that on our first stop on a 2-week trip. And it wasn't his first time connecting the water - he did it right when we took the AS on a 1-night shakedown cruise a week before doing the longer trip. I was in the bedroom, heard the toilet gurgling, thought he'd used it and the flap was stuck, so went in and hit the flush - FOOM!!!! Water in face. And on ceiling. (OTOH, the flush probably released the pressure & saved our tank, since it had just barely started gurgling.)

Only 2 things kept him out of a very deep doghouse that day: (1) it was our very first stop, nothing in the black tank except some dish liquid & a drop-in deodorant pack, and of course about 39 gals of water; (2) no damage to the black tank - no leaks, no bulging; everything worked fine rest of trip.
Kittycatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 01:17 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Lenoir City , Tennessee
We've had our AS since 12/30/08. When things started to need fixing we relied on our dear friends in our WBCCI unit to teach us. Each time we said, "Okay, now we know what to do," naively thinking we were all educated up. In 8 years we have only had one issue happen more than once - battery issues. Everything else (and, stuff happens on a regular basis just through use, wear and tear, and whatever) is a new issue and we have to learn what to do. Most recent thing was replacing the wall thermostat. Some day I'm guessing we'll know how to fix just about everything!
WBCCI - #4335
2005 Diesel Excursion
2008 31' Custom Classic "Moonshine"
2016 Interstate "BugOut"
kfrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 01:46 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Water is THE biggest learning experience. I installed residential sprinkler systems for a summer job when I was in high school and college. Thought I knew everything about plumbing. But a self contained unit.....that's another thing entirely.

Make sure you get all the air out of the system when you fill up the fresh water tank before you leave. I start by connecting the city water line at home, open every faucet (both hot and cold) one at a time. Run them until all the air is gone and you have a steady stream. Then fill your fresh tank, and turn off the water pump every time you travel or even leave the trailer.

Glad you are finally getting to take that first trip! Way different than me, waiting that long would have drove me nuts.
Old 07-11-2016, 02:34 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
Well, I am not quite as easy one you as the others. I would stop, read my Newbyes book, make check lists and use them. I have spent a lot of money fixing things I should not of had to. Because I did not read the books I should have and used the check lists. It really messes up a vacatation. For what it is worth in 1968 I sat along a road way out in the country in the cold because I tried to change a plugged fuel filter. It was a long night.

Good luck and I can tell you from experience, following the "rules" will save you a lot of ???
larryglarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 02:34 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2022 30' Classic
Granville , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Actually I did this first trip out. VERY fortunate that the black tank hadn't been used yet as it overflowed into the trailer.
Roadhoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 03:04 PM   #20
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdDog View Post

Towards the end of the drive, thought I could make it to the next exit before the fuel alarm light came on. Didn't make it. I pulled over on the side of I59 and got my 5 gallon spare container of diesel out and poured it in. Not sure what happens to a Duramax if you run out of diesel (probably not good). I was not interested in trying to purge the air out of a diesel on the side of I59.

Joel and Jane
My rule of thumb when making a road trip is to fill up at half tank. I panic when I am at 1/3 and start sweating when I am at 1/4. Make it a habit.
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote