Old 10-19-2016, 03:01 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Excella
Western Springs , Illinois
Last year we towed our 25ft Excella (7300lbs) with our Toyota Tundra from Denver to Grand Junction and had no problems . Just stay in the right lane and keep your trans in a gear that keeps the engine around 3k and enjoy the ride

Old 10-19-2016, 04:30 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
Remember what goes up goes down. Low gear and save the brakes on those 6-7 degree descents. That would of more concern than how long/speed of getting to the top....

ProPride
NōVPN
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 04:47 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
You will find a lot of folks here that think you are under-powered unless you can zip over the highest passes at 70 mph. I drive through the Rockies nearly every summer with a gas burner and I just go as fast as the grade allows. Most highways, even if two-landed, have frequent passing zones and if not, I simply find a place to pullover and let people by, if I see several behind me. Most of my driving is not in the high country, so I don't see the need for a diesel. I kept my last truck for 14 years and it only had 104,000miles on it, so the longevity of a diesel means nothing to me. You probably didn't drive more than a few miles at 35mph, so don't worry about it.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:30 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari S/O
Indianapolis , Indiana
Just returned from our first long adventure on I70 W through the mountains from Indianapolis to St. George, Utah with our 2005
Safari 28' S/O 7800# TV is a 2010 Tundra We slowed only on
the steepest grades usually after coming up on a slower Semi
always stayed in the right lane The combo towed like a dream and
we thoroughly enjoyed the journey - Grand Canyon, Zion, and Bryce Canyon NP We are flatlanders and usually camp in Indiana State
Parks - which are wonderful - we don't often see other AS's in camp
It was a real joy to get out west and see all the other AS's out there
we saw so many we lost count - now it is clear Airstreams are built
to be on the highway Can't wait to plan our next adventure
Be Safe - Stay within your comfort zone - Enjoy the ride!
Old 10-19-2016, 07:41 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
I took a video while going east to the Johnson/Eisnehower tunnel.

KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 08:09 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
Mesa , Arizona
KJ that looked like a nice smooth ascent. Minus the car guy on the phone there for a few seconds. IE the sudden unnecessary slowdown on his behalf.

So in the beginning you say you are in 4th gear. Are you driving a stick or what do you mean when you say 4th gear. Does a Tundra have a D,4,3,2,1 versus a D,3,2,1

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 08:52 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Note that the folks cruising over the top at high speeds towing have a massive truck or something with a lot of power, not a small sedan. And Please, go slow on the way down, don't let that Excella push your car around trying to be the first thing down.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 10:33 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
KJ that looked like a nice smooth ascent. Minus the car guy on the phone there for a few seconds. IE the sudden unnecessary slowdown on his behalf.

So in the beginning you say you are in 4th gear. Are you driving a stick or what do you mean when you say 4th gear. Does a Tundra have a D,4,3,2,1 versus a D,3,2,1

Tundra has sports shift option for 6 gears.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 10:36 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PovIndy View Post
Just returned from our first long adventure on I70 W through the mountains from Indianapolis to St. George, Utah with our 2005
Safari 28' S/O 7800# TV is a 2010 Tundra We slowed only on
the steepest grades usually after coming up on a slower Semi
always stayed in the right lane The combo towed like a dream and
we thoroughly enjoyed the journey - Grand Canyon, Zion, and Bryce Canyon NP We are flatlanders and usually camp in Indiana State
Parks - which are wonderful - we don't often see other AS's in camp
It was a real joy to get out west and see all the other AS's out there
we saw so many we lost count - now it is clear Airstreams are built
to be on the highway Can't wait to plan our next adventure
Be Safe - Stay within your comfort zone - Enjoy the ride!

Thanks for posting. Sounds like my 2011 Tundra and 2006 Safari 23 should work just fine

Dana

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 07:14 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Charlevoix , Michigan
Well, we did it! Even with the pedal to the metal we were bogged down to about 35 or 40 mph at some points, but that never lasted very long. Glad we did it, both for the views (which were amazing) and for the knowledge of the limits of our rig (can't tow at 70mph up steep grades, but can make it at lower speeds). Mountain driving isn't our normal gig, so I'm not put off by this "limitation".

Thanks for the advice everyone!
Old 10-20-2016, 10:32 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
Why are you guys in such a hurry?

There is no reason you have to drive the speed limit. No reason at all. The states that have laws forbidding holding up lines of traffic usually have generous pullouts, wide spots, and allow shoulder driving to keep traffic flowing around you if you choose to go slow. Highways that post minimum speed limits allow traffic 30-40 mph slower than the maximum.

As long as Iím driving legally and courteously itís none of my business what other drivers think of me. The only way to insure nobody hates the way you drive is to stay home.

I have NEVER EVER put pedal to metal when towing. I have no desire to thrash my truck; none at all. The specs say my truck has 401 ft lbs torque, but I donít really know what that means because I will never push it that hard. All I need to know is that my truck as sufficient.

Last week we towed all over Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming, and the week before we were also in Oregon, Washington, and Utah. In all of that, there was only one incline that I couldnít keep the truck above 40 mph without flooring it, so I put on my flashers and took it slow. Even at 32 mph I passed a semi.

If I felt I needed to travel at maximum speed, I may need to reconsider why Iím pulling a trailer in the first place. There are much faster ways to travel. Perhaps if I were towing a Bambi I would drive the speed limit. But Iím pulling the weight of THREE Bambis. So Iíll take it easy, and enjoy the road.
Alluminati is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 05:06 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Salem , Oregon
bogged down

hi there, we have a 34'AS. When we are on 6% inclines we are at about 40mph. we could go faster is we put it all they way down. we are definitely in overdrive but we turn the overdrive switch off when towing. we have an automatic F250 gas. There is no red line and we are told we can roll up on 6000 rpms but that just seems excessive to me in terms of wear and stress on everything. So we try to keep it closer to 4500. we have crossed the rockies in the US and Canada. you will see in the mountain states that it is common and at times posted to put on your flashers if you are going slow. we generally will pass the fully loaded semi's but the empty ones will pass us going up these hills.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:52 PM   #27
2016 FC 27FB -truck TBA-

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Lauderdale , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to Vitaver
"Why are you guys in such a hurry? Last week we towed all over Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming, and the week before we were also in Oregon, Washington, and Utah."

Who is in a hurry? Sorry, somebody had to say it . Actually I am 'speaking' out of envy, I would love to be making the trip you are, sounds fantastic. I want to do that too.

Tonight I drove from Silverthorne to Denver on I70, not a mile over (or under) 50 and I was passed by everybody. I am normally the one doing the passing, it is a whole new feeling for me... not sure I like it, but made it safe. Tomorrow to Windish shop for some work on my AS. I am still towing with the LR4, the F350 sprang a leak on the cooling system so they delay the delivery and I could not wait, I fly out tomorrow. I'lol get the F350 on my return. Stuff happens...
BTW tonite I drove that road on manual, third gear, 3,000 RPM, 50 mph constant. Gas? On uphill about 4 mpg
Old 10-20-2016, 11:01 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
[QUOTE=Vitaver;1867110]"Why are you guys in such a hurry? Last week we towed all over Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming, and the week before we were also in Oregon, Washington, and Utah."

You can drive in parts of Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana in a day...Or you can see three states at a time on top of certain hills.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote