Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2016, 02:47 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Howell , Michigan
1st. Time Airstream Rental

My wife and I are in our late 50s and are renting a 2011 23' International the last week of September. We will be driving from Metro Detroit to pick it up just outside of Dayton OH. We are doing this to see if we will like it before we retire in a few years and buy one of our own. We are think of going to Land Between The Lakes in western Kentucky for the week. My wife is concerned it may be to hot that time of year, it looks like the high of 80 is normal in late September. We love nature and don't really want to be camped close to others. We also don't want to be on the road very much. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
jcrango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 04:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Late September could be hot in the day but cools of at night. My suggestion is to not worry and just do it.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 04:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Get an AAA camping book or other directory, and try several locations and types of places while on the trip, even if driving a few extra miles.. Some like private/commercial RV parks with swimming pools, amenities, and stores/restaurants, while others enjoy more space and quiet in state or county or federal parks. Still others enjoy "boondocking" (no hookups at all) staying on BLM or other government lands, relying on battery power and stored water and propane and food.. If you plan to retire and make large investment, you should try to see what each feels like, to see how you'll really use your new RV.. One lesson we learned is that life without air conditioning can be rough for my wife, so we tend to end up in RV parks with at least 30A electrical hookups in the summer.

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:32 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Southeastern , Pennsylvania
We have been investigating the rental option to "try it out". However, the only one we found was Airstreams 2go which charges about $1,000/day for the Airstream and tow vehicle. Where are you renting from and could you share the cost. It so happens we are looking at a 23 foot Int'l Signature to purchase but we would love to try one for a week without incurring a huge rental fee. We live in eastern PA. Thank you.
phil1ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 06:34 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2021 16' Bambi
2021 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
North Port , Florida
I'm also interested I where you rented from.
cliffcharb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:03 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Howell , Michigan
Where we rented Airstream

We rented from www.airstream-getaway.com Just outside of Dayton OH. Small company with fair pricing ($1,300 for a week out the door with our own tow vehicle after September 1st.). They will provide a TV or tell you where to rent one if you don't have your own. Very easy to work with and very quick to answer your questions. They even let you bring your pet for a small fee. Family owned with only 2 Airstreams and some other brand of trailer available.
jcrango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:42 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Southeastern , Pennsylvania
Thank you. Just spoke with Kerry. This is an excellent option for us to "give it a try".
phil1ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 10:10 AM   #8
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrango View Post
We love nature and don't really want to be camped close to others.
"Close" is a relative term. State parks and Corps of Engineers campgrounds usually (but not always) tend to have plenty of green space between you and your neighbors. I shoot for a campsite density of about 4 campsites per acre or less; that usually puts your neighbors about 75-100 feet away. Campsites that are irregularly angled instead of exactly parallel to each other can help block line of sight as well.

When you decide on a campground, look it up on Google Maps or Google Earth's Satellite views. This will give you an idea of how close together the campsites are, and what kind of tree cover you'll have. The best sites, in my opinion, are the ones where you can't even see the campsites on the Google satellite views for all the trees. Folks who feel obligated to hook up their satellite dishes so they can watch TV tend to prefer less tree cover, but I'm not them.

For newbies, you may want to look for a campground that has pull-through sites for your first outing. That way, backing your trailer into the site doesn't need to be the first lesson learned. Few CoE campgrounds have pull-throughs, but more State parks do.

Try to find a campground that takes reservations for specific campsites, and make a reservation before you pick up the trailer. For State and National parks, try ReserveAmerica, for Corps of Engineers and BLM sites, try Reservations.gov. Campgrounds that offer reservations but assign you a site when you arrive mean that you don't necessarily get the site you want. Campgrounds that are strictly first-come, first-served should be avoided lest you arrive only to find out there's no room for you. When you're retired and own your own RV first-come, first-served is less of a vacation-breaker if you end up having to go elsewhere, but in my opinion working people with limited time off should always have site-specific reservations to minimize unpleasant surprises. That was certainly the case when I was still working!