www.streamingairheads.com

Gettysburg , Pennsylvania
following....great tips so far!

Old 06-13-2016, 09:32 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Madison , Alabama
Fueling is a big issue for me. Most fuel stations are difficult with trailer in tow, & out west often are far apart. Usually all pumps have lines of waiting vehicles. I may disconnect @ night & fuel so tank is already full to start the new day. With 44 gallons, I can run 350 miles & have 5 gallons in reserve. DO NOT run out of fuel when towing. I did one time & coasted to a fuel pump "dead stick". Used up my good luck on that one ! 350 miles in one day is a long day when towing. I may refuel & run some more. I like it better to run 1 tank per day & then prep for tomorrow.
Let's Roll ! Wolf

Wolf Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 12:37 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
We frequently travel on trips greater than six weeks to several months.
Recently departed late May for "all summer long" trip and purchased
these neat silicone "Pack ToGo" Bento lunch boxes- https://www.amazon.com/PackTOGO-Bent.../dp/B015GGBP3I
I pack these with healthy, nutritious lunches either consumed at rest stops or in the car during long travel days. The compartments are leak proof, no need for sandwich bags or plastic wrap.
They are small enough to fit in Airstream frig or just add small reusable frozen ice freezie.
They have been a great addition to our camp gear for quick on the go healthy eating.
We really prefer not to eat out ( saves time, healthy home cooking, less expensive)... Prepare NW pot meals ( homemade soup, hot open face sandwiches, chef salads) for dinners. Use paper plates, bowls to reduce clean up and limit water use.

Agree with others on camping at easy access sites near travel route ( limit campgrounds, Super Walmarts within 10 miles or less to travel route. We rarely travel with advance reservations but we generally know each morning approximately how many miles we plan to travel and then plan our start/stop time accordingly. We rely on AllStays App almost exclusively and Campedium for choosing campsites. Always travel with empty gray tank and minimally 1/2 fresh water. Empty black tank only as needed. Stock your frig and freezer well and just buy ice for chilling beverages. I can pack nearly a months worth of food in our 20'....just adding dairy and fresh fruits and vegetables as needed. This really saves time during extended travel?
Have a great trip and safe travels,
FCloud9

(Currently camped at White Rock Visitors Center RV Parking....self check in kiosk....with electric, water and dump....free WiFi and just 20 steps from free shuttle to Bandolier NP, New Mexico)!
Old 06-14-2016, 01:49 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, lots of good ideas. Many that we use too. One big exception is that we NEVER make reservations. When I'm done driving, we find a place to stay. And we always find a place. I might feel like driving longer or shorter and being tied to a campground reservation could cost me a few hours per day. Due to weather, traffic, or how I'm feeling, I can't plan stops ahead of time.

Our two biggest trips;

Alaska trip was for 50 days and over 10,000 miles. [No reservations]

Our cross country trip, last year. 3 1/2 months and over 13,000 miles. [No reservations.

Eleven years of traveling. [No reservations.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 03:59 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
I am 73 and said I would never do a "fast trip again", but did one this spring. We find "meal bars" to be great and as said by others "safety first, stop every hour to 2 hours and walk around. At night we just find a safe fairly flat place and crawl in a go to sleep.

If at all possible I will never do it again, we ran 4 days "flat out" with no trouble, made out appointment, got the job done, but never again.
Old 06-14-2016, 04:45 AM   #34
www.streamingairheads.com

Gettysburg , Pennsylvania
Curious....and I know there is probably a thread on this, but this is a related question. It seems that some travel with the fridge running on propane. Is that the norm?
Old 06-14-2016, 05:57 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Most do it. Here are the search results for "fridge running propane:"

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=011403...ane&gsc.page=1

Recent threads:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f287...ng-118593.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f425...ing-76220.html

PS welcome to the forum!
Old 06-14-2016, 06:17 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
Ok we have never needed to run our fridge on propane. We have the small fridge in the 22 sport. Any idea how much propane this will use?

I think we have decided we are going to drag the AS home on the morning of departure, and then leave after work that day. So it should have some time to cool down.

Just don't want to run out of gas, so to speak.

(We are unable to plug into electric at home)

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 06:22 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
If you load the fridge with only cold/frozen items it will get cold quickly. You can add frozen blue ice from home too, and leave it at home when you depart. Carrying a cooler with ice in the tow vehicle allows the pre-chilling of store-bought items. Best never to put warm items in the fridge, especially in summer. AS fridges are really to keep things cold, not to chill them. Takes a calibration of the human biomass cranial biocomputer . . .

Have fun!

Peter

PS the fridge does not use much propane. You should be fine on this trip, assuming tanks are full.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:40 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Vista , California
Fill your water just so you can wash up. We forgot to and finding a place along the hwy with potable water was near impossible. All our nightspots were in rest areas because they are free. We use their bathrooms. But we clean up in our own bathroom. We use the genny for microwaving the prepackaged meals we sealed in boil bags ourselves. Lunches are sandwiches, breakfast is toast and coffee or granola bars. Snacks are pork rinds or tortilla chips or whatever might strike our fancy at a gas stop. Yesterday we had hagen daz ice cream bars! We drove from San Diego Sunday night and we made it to Boerne, TX here a few hours ago. We do this the same way every summer.

(19 recently revised from 20, revised from 23, revised from 22. Even the VA is a work in process)
PammieSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 06:46 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
Thanks for the tips on the refrigerator. It will be nice to leave from home instead of the storage place. I will be able to pack at leisure pace, and then shower at home before leaving. (one of the true bummers when leaving from the storage place is how hot you can get in the few minutes it takes to install the hitch, remove the chocks, hitch up, do safety checks, and go.)

Filling up the fresh tank at home will also be much simpler than pouring it in from a jerrycan.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 06:45 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
I find it helps quite a bit to have a non-distracting activity to break up the monotony - this is essential if I'm the only one driving on longer trips. I bring many, many tunes and I sing. I'm not good at it, but I enjoy it and it keeps oxygen flowing to the brain.

Also audio books on CD. Our Interstate is older and still has its original CD player.

I never leave without a Yeti 30 oz full of cold drink and a separate thermos full of hot green or white tea within reach. A two-fisted drinker. It's easy to get dehydrated on long trips, especially in the south, which worsens fatigue.

Most of the advice above recommends stopping to eat, but I tend to eat behind the wheel and then do higher-quality movement-oriented activities when I stop (such as dash around for a quick walk, hike, or trot through a shopping area), in part because eating tends to keep me alert. I usually start the journey wearing a disposable apron (Amazon: Disposable White Poly Aprons 28-inch x 46-inch, 1.0 mil (100)) and with the grub within reach. After eating I tear off he apron and use it to ball up whatever waste was generated. If someone is traveling with me, that's a bonus because I can hand off the trash to them.

I find that the hardest times are when the known trip will be long and the weather is bad and/or the roads are rough. Sometimes it gets unpleasant and the psychological burden is knowing that it's not going to improve for many hours to come. I don't have as many anti-fatigue countermeasures for those scenarios as I would like.
Old 06-18-2016, 06:55 AM   #41
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Port Dover , Ontario
I stop when my fuel tank reaches 1/4 for fuel / bio-breaks (in my Jeep I find that my fuel and bladder need tending about the same time.) Also, when ever I cross a state/province line I like hunt for a Geocache to add to my state tally.
WBCCI #6497

“One test is worth a thousand 'expert' opinions”
Sign at Boeing headquarters, posted by test pilot Alvin “Tex” Johnston, c1948
Adventure.AS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 07:30 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
PB you might want to check your owner's manual, and/or fridge operating manual, and know ahead of time how to adjust the thermostat for the fridge. Each model AS fridge is different. Our FC20 has only a little plastic slide on a cooling fin at the top of the fridge inside.

If you have this also, I can point you to threads about adjusting the temp on the road. Better to know now, rather than freeze/spoil food OTRA.

Happy Trails!

Peter

PS -- Re: earlier comment about filling water tanks with known good water at home -- our trailers re designed to have some water loaded. Some say the ride is better with a full water tank. Depends on you loading of other items IMO and availability of good potable water on the road and at your destination. An empty tank does not make sense to these eyes.