Old 06-13-2016, 12:49 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Excellent one-stop advice!

At the risk of TMI --

Be sure to unplug the trailer's electric umbilical cord to the tow vehicle overnight, to isolate the TV batteries. Other experienced ASers will disagree with the need to do this, but it is good insurance IMO.

Take your time departing safely in the morning, and check all systems: tire pressures, hitch bolts, lug nuts/bolts on the wheels, TV tire pressures, steps, awnings, antennas, and so forth. Mistakes happen when we rush. Don't ask how I know . . .

Plug electrical umbilical cord to TV, and check all trailer running lights, brake, turn signals.

Pull forward slowly and manually apply trailer brakes. Pull forward and check combined brake system.

Yes, this is all standard operating procedure, but I have found that sometimes we skip steps in our rush to get on the road again.

Have fun!

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 01:00 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
Most important, is the Scotch or Wine.

After all that driving you will need a drink or two.

David & Nancy Ames
WBCCI # 9403 -- AIR # 95597
2015 FC 25' RB
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 01:14 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member
2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
You didn't mention your ages. I think that makes a real difference. When I was younger, I felt like I could drive forever. We went from Nashville to Leadville CO with two kids and a dog in the car and spent only two nights on the road. I won't mention my age, but suffice it to say, those long days now take a toll! I see lots of good advice here, but just don't ask your body to do things it can't. Fatigue leads to poor judgement which leads to accidents. Arrive alive!
Gneiss Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 01:42 PM   #18
2005 25' International CCD
Everywhere , North America
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
We still do this

Biggest day was over 900 miles, from Sulphur LA to north of Charlotte NC. Didn't plan it, a Gulf of Mexico storm pushed us with threat of snow. If we stopped,mtge storm could have trapped us and we instead slowly and steadily outran it by keeping on.

We never hook up on one night overnights. We can easily make a week on tanks, even more with campground showers and highway rest stops. Saves a bunch of time. If the traile is level enough and long enough we don't unhitch. Usually we disconnect the breakaway and power. Like otra's suggestion of brake check in the morning -great suggestion!

We don't make any reservations unless a holiday or long weekend. Instead, plot a Cabelas or Cracker Barrel, and have a plan "B". Plan "A" Hasn't failed us yet, but takes some anxiety away.

A liter of water on the console, a bag of snack bars, some red and black licorice, some fruit (fresh and dried), some almonds on hand. Senior coffee at McDonalds (they asked if we wanted Sr coffee. "How old do we have to be?" "Do ya have grandchildren?")

And yes on combining gas, pee and walk breaks. Helps a lot that we both like towing, can split the driving.

Good luck.
Jim N5RTG & Deb N4RTG
WBCCI #4822 - SKP #094415
find us here
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 02:07 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member
2014 27' Flying Cloud
Stowe , Vermont
I think AldeanFan (above) has some great advice. 2 hours+ or so and fuel and stretch. We keep breakfast to hand foods Oatmeal squares, raisins, nuts, veggies etc. while driving (limited traffic). I drive - my wife navigates. At lunch/fuel stop, my wife makes small sandwiches while I get 20 minute power nap. Don't put a lot of food in your stomach or you will catch a case of the zzzzzz. We travel from VT to the Rockies (US & Canada) almost yearly. Average driving days well over 600+ miles. We spend many nights at Walmarts and Cracker Barrels. We never disconnect. We hit campgrounds on nights that we need to empty tanks. Baby wipes are great to do a quick body wash if you want to save water. Ohio Turnpike has RV parking with electric hookups at their service plazas. Note from my doctor - start taking 325mg aspirin 3 days prior to trip, during the trip and 3 days after. Blood clots can kill.
VT Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 02:17 PM   #20
Rivet Master
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
We eat at Cracker Barrel quite often because they have RV parking and they are generally near the exit.
We eat in the trailer sometimes if the weather is mild an we do not need the air conditioner.
We sometimes overnight at campgrounds close to the highway.
We have taken the trailer to Hardee's, McDonald's, Popeye's Chicken, Red Lobster, and others depending on the layout of their parking lot.
2013 Classic 30 Limited
2007 Silver Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited 5.7 iForce
2006 Vivid Black Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 02:36 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member
2006 25' Safari
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Great stuff here! The older I get the more I appreciate breaks about every two hours. Usually they will coincide with interstate rest stops or fuel stops. As Protagonist said trail mix is good for keeping up energy levels, ant the protein in them gives you stamina. We, too, prepare lunch ahead, and breakfast is usually a breakfast bar and fruit.

We had to do an emergency run home from Maine as Lou's arthritis had flared up. The cold, damp weather just made it awful. We did something over 1400 miles in 3 days. Overnights were at Walmarts and Cracker Barrels. No unhooking except for the umbilical chord. No checking in or out. Plus takeout food is usually near by if not at a Cracker Barrel. 4 to 500 miles per day is doable, but not really the way I like to travel.

Enjoy your adventure.
Don and Lou----Don posting
'06 Safari 25 LS
'97 Chevy Suburban K2500 Diesel
TN, Greenest State in the Land of the Free
" America is not a place;it is a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 03:10 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Renton , Washington
Good thread. We're also doing our first long trip this fall with longer than normal driving days. Thanks for the tips, all!
orange kayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 04:34 PM   #23
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Full water, empty holding, no campgrounds. Rest every couple of hours. Safety check every stop. No driving at night at day's end. No extreme planning since it just causes stress. We try to avoid restaurants and consume small amounts of food in the Airstream. Most ablutions in the Airstream. Fridge and HWH on propane. We watch the local news on TV after stopping. Asleep by 8:30, up at 5.30. We travel at 102 k/hr normally but go with the flow around cities. Jim
Jim Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 04:56 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
Mesa , Arizona
Lots of good advice with very clear agreement of ideas.

That doesn't often happen when someone asks a question here on forums.

You will enjoy, let us know how your trip goes and which ideas worked out for you.

Hittenstiehl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 05:07 PM   #25
2006 19' International CCD
Denville , New Jersey
My longest day was 800 plus, coming home from KY. I drove 100 feet of it. My husband can not back in, I can. He is great driver, we follow what everyone has said. Our big day had perfect weather, dry roads and it was a Saturday.

I have been known to cut a day very short due to really bad storms and wind. I got caught in Ohio once during a tornado. Do not ever want that again, I am a Jerseygirl, I know hurricanes, not Tornadoes while pulling.

Enjoy your trip, sounds wonderful.
2006 Bambi CCD ("EireStream!!")
2010 Funfinder
2005 T@B
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 05:33 PM   #26
Rivet Master
2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
When making time on long cross country trips, we always try to plan our overnight stays at Flying J truck stops.

They welcome you to sleep overnight and most have RV spots out front. (You don't park with the 18 wheelers - separate lots.)

You can stop any time in the evening, no time waste checking in, no unhooking, Denny's restaurant inside showers if you want them, grab a quick coffee and a bite in the am, fuel up, and hit the road again as early as you like.

Their website shows all locations. I generally check them out on the satellite view on google maps because there are a couple that do not have RV parking - one is in Albuquerque or Amarillo if I remember correctly. The vast majority do have RV double spots for pull through use.

We have used them for the last 18 years or so and not encountered any issues.

Often, our first stop has beenW. Memphis - about 950 miles from our home near Toronto! More recently I a slowing down a bit in my old age though!

We did make it once from home to San Diego in 3-1/2 days, stopping each night at a FJ.

It helps a bit that you save a few nights campground fees too en route, but of course we aways eat and fuel up at the FJ's - only right!

The main reason we use them is ease and convenience when we don't want to waste time.

Brian & Connie Mitchell

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 06:05 PM   #27
Rivet Master
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
My longest pull was from Jackson Center, OH back to Mississippi.
Long days are possible with many restroom breaks.
I probably stop at nearly all rest areas.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
2013 Classic 30 Limited
2007 Silver Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited 5.7 iForce
2006 Vivid Black Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 06:13 PM   #28
Rivet Master
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
Wow, home from work and so many great replies already to this thread!

So it sounds like the general consensus is that a break every 2 hours is about right.

We are in our early 50s, and won't be with pets on this trip. Our 2 adult daughters will be on the trip. One with us the whole way, then sister joining us mid-way through day 2. So at that point we will have 2 vehicles and just send them on their way. We will tell them to eat dinner out and amuse themselves until we make it on into the campground for the night.

We are traveling over 4th of July, so have made reservations just because it will be a very crowded time to travel. And on day 1 in Nebraska we will need to plug in to run the AC at night, making a rest area or walmart a non-option.

I really like the idea of the driver taking a catnap over lunch while the navigator fixes lunch. That would be a good idea for sure.

I also do appreciate the advice to not shortcut on the departure morning checklists just because it is not a full unzip. Definitely don't want to forget to hook up or put away something.

And we do have satellite radio in our vehicle. Driver gets to pick the music.

Thanks for all of the tips, and keep them coming.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote