Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-26-2015, 09:55 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
z , North Carolina
16 States in 16 Days, what a blast!

We took off on our first real road trip on the 8th, and just got back y-day. Where do I start? We got chased by a tornado in Arkansas, had one 70 miles behind us again while in OK. We took RT 40 W, and then RT 70 E on the way home.
Bought my dawg Bailey a 20oz steak @ the BigTexan in Amarillo. She appreciated that very much. Fell in love with AZ. Stayed for 3 days @ the Lost Dutchman SP in Apache Junction. What a wonderful CG. Beautiful! Sedona...oh Sedona..wow...what a town. Gorgeous!!

Went to Moab UT, and visited Dead Horse State Park, then drove thru the Canyonlands with our truck in the NP below. Some awfully tight switchbacks on that trail! I backed the truck up, overlooking a cliff and we ate lunch on the tailgate while watching the whitewater rafters heading down the CO river. Just beautiful.
Took the scenic route 128 out of Moab after having gone thru a sleet storm @ 5000ft in Arches NP. It follows the CO river. Drop dead gorgeous. Climbed over the Rockies to the tune of almost 12k feet. Much snow still on the ground. They closed RT70 just hours after we crossed as yet another snow storm plowed thru there. Stopped in Denver to see friends, and hit the Denver Beer Company.
Pretty weird to see marijuana being sold out of stores. Whateva! Not me cup of tea, THANK YOU!!
How could I have forgotten our visit to the S rim of the Grand Canyon??
Kay's sister, a HS history teacher stayed with us after we left Phoenix as she wanted to see the GC. Fuel was $3.89 gal for gas, and propane was $5.08 lb around the GCNP. Come with deep pockets. the GC was all fogged in when we got there. Could barely see 100 ft in front of you. A big disappointment. the Ranger said it had been like that for the last 3 days. He suggested to be in the park by 5am the next morning as it was supposed to clear up. God smiled on us, and we entered the park at 4:58am with the sunrise at 5:23. There is NOTHING in this world more beautiful than to watch the sunrise over the GC. There was only about 40 folks there when we arrived, so we easily got some great views. I have never had my breathe taken away like that before. EVER. All three of us were in tears at the amazing beauty, and overwhelmingly powerful grace of what lied before us. EVERY U.S. citizen should witness that beauty. I could take a zillion pictures, but they would never equate to the powerful feeling of just how tiny you really are on this great planet, we call earth.
I'll keep it short and sweet. We had a blast. Our trailer & truck performed flawlessly. Not one issue. I just wish we had had more time to explore. 5555.4 miles driven, and my total fuel bill was $1409.10.
It was truly amazing for us to watch the beauty of this great country un-fold right in front of our eyes. From the Mississippi river, to the rolling hills of Arkansas, the grassy fileds in OK, the flatlands of TX, the sands in NM, to the gorgeous state of AZ. Not to mention the beauty of UT, and the Colorado Rockies. Sorry Kansas folks, don't take it personal, but there aint much to see in KS!

This truly is the greatest country on earth. We are very lucky people to have the privilege to live in this great nation. I am honored to be a veteran and very proud to have served this great nation. We saw first hand, the beauty of what it means to be an American. I never met one camper on the road that wouldn't bend over backwards to help you if you needed it. We are a great community of people, and one very strong nation indeed.
Sea ya down the road,
Gavin, Kay & Bailey
FishinHatteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:09 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Sounds like a great trip with changing landscapes and beauty. Nice post on the highlights. Yes, it is still a breathtaking country. Having lived and traveled abroad those places are equally amazing. Now that we have our trailer we are looking forward to seeing more of this country from the comforts of our roving motel.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:16 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Well said Gavin. Glad you had such an awesome time and are using your Airstream the way it was meant to be used. It truly is a wonderful country out there and thank you for your service to help keep it great. Now you can plan your next adventure!
Old 05-26-2015, 10:20 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
z , North Carolina
I Forgot To Say

What I learned. I learned to trust my wife more than I ever have. Being so mobile everyday, she came up with some awesome places for us to stay.
I grew closer to my wife of 26 years than I ever have. We experienced sounds & colors that we will never forget. She is my BFF, my wife, and mother to three great kids. I'll keep her thank you! I apppreciate her much more now. We are a pretty tight unit, and we camp well together. We formed a routine now, and that really helps when 'Streaming.

I know most of you don't like KOA's, but let me tell you about Carbondale, CO. Man oh man. What a KOA. The stargazing views were incredible. There were so many stars, planets & constellations, that I struggled to find the Big Dipper. Great staff too. If you're near there, STOP. You camp @ the base of a snow covered mountain, and you back up to the Crystal River. Totally re-modeled CG. Bailey had a blast swimming in the river. Worth every penny!

I also learned that I want to give up IT & retire. Not old enough....yet! Soon tho..
Old 05-26-2015, 10:50 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
1984 31' Excella
Springfield , Missouri
Wow, what a trip! And you did in 16 days!

Regina and I did almost the same thing except we took 5 months!
Jim Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:53 AM   #6
Debbstr

2005 25' International CCD
Four Oaks , North Carolina
Glad you had such a great trip

We are looking forward to one day just going on the road as well, but it is too soon, still have to work. I'm not sure why so many do not like KOA's, the only one we have been to (twice) is the one in Boone, NC and we love it. The staff is great and it is beautiful up there, a great place to explore from.
Debbstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 11:44 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
We drove the 310 out to Colorado last month, had a ball. We took US 36 through Kansas and man what a difference than driving I70 or I80. I was soooo surprised by the beautiful rolling landscape in Kansas. I couldnt believe it. Ive made the drive west from Il many times but always on the interstates. US36 is the way to go. Great road conditions, no traffic, very pretty. I had always thought the same as you, "not too much to see in KS", give US36 a try. Ill never take the interstate again traveling west to CO.

Mike
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 11:57 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Westport , Connecticut
Totally inspiring to read this. Thank you SO much for sharing!

We leave on a year long journey in 8 weeks. So, to read this reinvigorated my own enthusiasm.

Happy travels.
Best, Kira
KiraR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 01:32 PM   #9

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Great report on a great Airstream Adventure. We would love to see some pictures.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:26 PM   #10
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Old 05-26-2015, 06:21 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB International
Bryant , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinHatteras View Post
We took off on our first real road trip on the 8th, and just got back y-day. Where do I start? We got chased by a tornado in Arkansas, had one 70 miles behind us again while in OK. We took RT 40 W, and then RT 70 E on the way home.

Bought my dawg Bailey a 20oz steak @ the BigTexan in Amarillo. She appreciated that very much. Fell in love with AZ. Stayed for 3 days @ the Lost Dutchman SP in Apache Junction. What a wonderful CG. Beautiful! Sedona...oh Sedona..wow...what a town. Gorgeous!!

Went to Moab UT, and visited Dead Horse State Park, then drove thru the Canyonlands with our truck in the NP below. Some awfully tight switchbacks on that trail! I backed the truck up, overlooking a cliff and we ate lunch on the tailgate while watching the whitewater rafters heading down the CO river. Just beautiful.

Took the scenic route 128 out of Moab after having gone thru a sleet storm @ 5000ft in Arches NP. It follows the CO river. Drop dead gorgeous. Climbed over the Rockies to the tune of almost 12k feet. Much snow still on the ground. They closed RT70 just hours after we crossed as yet another snow storm plowed thru there. Stopped in Denver to see friends, and hit the Denver Beer Company.

Pretty weird to see marijuana being sold out of stores. Whateva! Not me cup of tea, THANK YOU!!

How could I have forgotten our visit to the S rim of the Grand Canyon??

Kay's sister, a HS history teacher stayed with us after we left Phoenix as she wanted to see the GC. Fuel was $3.89 gal for gas, and propane was $5.08 lb around the GCNP. Come with deep pockets. the GC was all fogged in when we got there. Could barely see 100 ft in front of you. A big disappointment. the Ranger said it had been like that for the last 3 days. He suggested to be in the park by 5am the next morning as it was supposed to clear up. God smiled on us, and we entered the park at 4:58am with the sunrise at 5:23. There is NOTHING in this world more beautiful than to watch the sunrise over the GC. There was only about 40 folks there when we arrived, so we easily got some great views. I have never had my breathe taken away like that before. EVER. All three of us were in tears at the amazing beauty, and overwhelmingly powerful grace of what lied before us. EVERY U.S. citizen should witness that beauty. I could take a zillion pictures, but they would never equate to the powerful feeling of just how tiny you really are on this great planet, we call earth.

I'll keep it short and sweet. We had a blast. Our trailer & truck performed flawlessly. Not one issue. I just wish we had had more time to explore. 5555.4 miles driven, and my total fuel bill was $1409.10.

It was truly amazing for us to watch the beauty of this great country un-fold right in front of our eyes. From the Mississippi river, to the rolling hills of Arkansas, the grassy fileds in OK, the flatlands of TX, the sands in NM, to the gorgeous state of AZ. Not to mention the beauty of UT, and the Colorado Rockies. Sorry Kansas folks, don't take it personal, but there aint much to see in KS!

This truly is the greatest country on earth. We are very lucky people to have the privilege to live in this great nation. I am honored to be a veteran and very proud to have served this great nation. We saw first hand, the beauty of what it means to be an American. I never met one camper on the road that wouldn't bend over backwards to help you if you needed it. We are a great community of people, and one very strong nation indeed.

Sea ya down the road,

Gavin, Kay & Bailey

We are taking a similar trip in June. 17 days. Little Rock, Omaha, Mount Rushmore, Jackson, Yellowstone, salt lake, Denver, little rock.

Sounds like you all had a blast. Sorry about the tornados in Arkansas! Ha
StreamAholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:15 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
z , North Carolina
Okay!

Some Pics included. And I didn't mean to talk harshly about KS. It is the nations breadbasket. So much farming is done there. Growing up on a farm in VA, I certainly loved seeing all the John Deere tractors and equipment. We saw 4 new combines headed E for delivery. SOMEBODY spent some serious money!
Some of the better pictures..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1882.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	339.8 KB
ID:	239323   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1929.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	239324  

Name:	IMG_1959.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	428.3 KB
ID:	239325   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2002.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	252.7 KB
ID:	239327  

Old 05-27-2015, 05:24 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yep, in those early days you want to see it all, and as fast as you can.

We put 30,000 miles on the Interstate one year.

Sounds like a great trip.

Keep on, keepin' on.

Maggie
Old 05-27-2015, 06:25 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
z , North Carolina
Pics

Thank you Maggie. It was too much driving, and not enough exploring, but our time was limited.

Bless you!

Some of the shots that I really want to include continue to post sideways or upside down here on AF. Frustrating! I have run out of time. I will throw them up on Flickr and make a photo album as soon as I can.

My wife's iPhone 6 plus took some amazing photos.
I'm not much on selfies, but had to include it. My wife's sister Penny is in the middle. She is a history major, and has a passion for teaching kids, that is un-matched IMHO. She gives so much to her students, and they really learn from her, by how deeply she feels towards them. Not just to make them better students, but better citizens. She is an awesome mom to three, and a very cool SIL!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1333.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	288.7 KB
ID:	239364   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2051.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	385.8 KB
ID:	239365  

Name:	IMG_1330.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	239368   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1803.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	201.1 KB
ID:	239370  

Old 05-27-2015, 06:29 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have had great success cropping pictures down to post here, as the size seems to be the issue.

Works every time.....now.

Maggie
Old 05-27-2015, 07:27 AM   #16

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Great pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 05-28-2015, 08:59 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Texas
Thanks for the great recap of your trip. I applaud you for taking on such a trip in a short amount of time, but you did it! As someone else said, this is what Airstreaming is all about! We have done 3, 4-5-week trips and it is a great experience and we can't wait to do it again going east this time. Safe travels everyone!
okiedebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:53 AM   #18

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
These trip reports are great. They help get us going and give us ideas on where to go.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)