Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-18-2003, 06:21 PM   #41
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Maurice

How right you are about buying anything video right now. I see alot of 35" tvs going out the door at Best Buy, etc. and wonder how many people are going to scream in 3 years.

But I bought a Samsung 150MP anyway. I had a G3 Powerbook that the hinge clutches died on, propped it for awhile then the inverter went. I used it for my Delorme GPS, so that hurt. I also put a rear view camera on my motorhome. Now I run both of these through the LCD, switch back and forth. I did have to think about this because the 16:9 on that small a screen isn't really great, but the GPS and camera will still (hopefully) be around after the change so I justified it.

It has a good picture, 12 volt native, and I had the same space consideration as DTBW, a 24 ft. motorhome is basically a Bambi with an engine.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 08:26 AM   #42
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
2002 19' Bambi
Allen , Texas
Maurice,
You obviously have taken the plunge into HDTV home theater (as have I) or planning such. I made the big decision almost 3 years ago as the DFW area ATSC OTA became a reality. At the time there was not much HD content, but the over the air (OTA) 480P signal was vastly superior to NTSC or DBS. Over those three years, the HD content situation has improved to where I long for a TIVO unit that will record both OTA and DBS HD (rumors abound that such a unit is forthcoming). I agree that component video (YPbPr) inputs seem the safest bet for current sets, but Hollywood is DEMANDING an end to YPbPr as they can't use digital encryption on the it since it is analog. I agree that they will probably have NO choice but to grandfather all of us with those inputs, but the problem is that Hollywood wants ALL settop boxes to ONLY have digital outputs and new sets to have ONLY digital inputs, so our YPbPr analog inputs may become useless for HD in the not too distant future (ie, buy our outboard YPbPr components before they disappear). I wonder how long the YPbPr inputs will remain even though they have duty as input for progressive-scan DVD players (those too could be move to digital connections). As you stated, the proposed copyright protection schemes require std DVI inputs (ie those without HDCP) to be downcoverted to 480P, but the fat lady has not yet appeared on stage and the battle is far from over (I do admit that Hollywood will probably win some kind of draconian copyright protection method though). With my Cornea System LCD TV in the A/S, I should, at the very least, be able to buy a DVI output, ATSC OTA outboard tuner and connect it with a much better picture result than if I ran that signal in as s-video or composite.

On the mandated summer 2006 end to NTSC...that is as full of holes as swiss cheese. The mandate calls for the beginning of the end starting in 2006 and only in those area where something like 80% of the viewing area OWNS equipment that can receive ATSC (ie none of the HD-ready NTSC sets count...they lack ATSC tuners). This is why the FCC recently changed the rules slightly to REQUIRE all sets over 36" in screen size to have integrated ATSC receivers starting next year, regardless of whether they can display HD resolution or only 480i (the miminum ATSC resolution). Over the next few years, ALL new sets will be required to have integrated ATSC tuners, so the FCC has put the process in motion to negate the need for NTSC. The FCC does NOT appear to be cutting the local broadcasters ANY slack on meeting their timelines for ATSC broadcasts (they all had 10 years notice that it was coming and hardware has been commercially available for over 5 years). I know that when Congress was INTERESTED in balancing the budget, the resale of the reclaimed NTSC bandwidth was a big political incentive(est revenue in the 100s of billions), but now deficits are back in vogue and there are some pushing for a change in the law to relax the mandate. I am willing to bet that not a single marketplace will find NTSC turned off in 2006, but I also am willing to bet that it is only a matter of time before NTSC vanishes. The other side of the equation that is pushing NTSC out is that the broadcasters can transmit several non-HD programs over the ATSC bandwidth and that means MORE potential advertising income (the current thought is to do multiple programs during non-primetime and then switch to a single HD program format during primetime). As more and more stations are finally bringing their new ATSC transmitters online and the quality of even 480i over NTSC (lack of ghosts, color purity, no interference) makes it worth my while to tune ATSC over NTSC, so as I said, I will be watching the ATSC settop market for an outboard tuner for the A/S.
Air Forums # 2159
Past President Heart of Texas Camping Unit
WBCCI # 7548
dtbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 10:44 AM   #43
2 Rivet Member

Another option

We take along a Dell laptop with DVD player and a set of external PC speakers. It's a pretty big screen on this model and the picture is very good. I also bought a cig lighter power adapter from Dell so PC battery level is not an issue. The local library loans DVDs for a week at a time, which is nice for longer trips (OK not the very latest, but the price is right). And sometimes there's a nearby video store that has more contemporary DVDs. No TV with this setup, but a movie before bed is nice now and then.

Mike
mcostanzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 12:32 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
The loophole is whether 80% of the major markets are served by ATSC broadcasts, not when 80% of the viewers have ATSC equipment, like I also used to think.

The reason the FCC mandated tuners in new TVs is to counter the broadcasters arguement that there's no audience to view the commercials that fund their operation. That, and to reduce the backlash when NTSC is turned off.

That being said, until ATSC add-on tuners for NTSC TVs are $29.95, it would be political suicide to shut off Ma and Pa Kettle's $150 27" generic Wal-Mart TV. There'll be hell to pay in the next election.

What most folks also don't realize is that ATSC paves the way for pay-per-view and premium channel broadcast TV. Rather than one HDTV-quality channel, stations may decide to transmit several standard definition channels, some of which carry a conditional access system encoding, like those in premium and pay per view satellite and cable systems. ATSC Standard A/70 describes how this will be done.

I've decided to stay out of HDTV until things solidify a lot more. HDTV will die if YPbPr component inputs are no longer supported and most all of the HDTVs in existance become obsolete. No one will invest in the technology after that. It's wishful thinking, but I'd like to see DVI-HDCP totally replaced by Firewire/5C.

As for which monitor to buy, you can watch 16:9 (1.78:1) material on a 4:3 monitor with black bars on the top and bottom. We do this all the time with widescreen DVDs. With 1.85:1 and 2.35:1 movies, the bars get even larger. One can also watch 4:3 material on a 16:9 TV (widescreen computer monitors are usually 16:10) with black bars on the sides. And with 1.85:1 and 2.35:1 movies, even a 16:9 TV will have black bars top and bottom. A buyer needs to decide what they watch the most of when picking an aspect ratio.

Here's a handy Screen Comparison Calculator. It shows for example that watching 4:3 material on a 15" 16:9 screen is like watching a 12.3" 4:3 TV. And that watching 16:9 material on a 15" 4:3 TV is like watching a 13.8" 16:9 TV.

I may wind up with a cheap LCD panel myself because the 9" CRT isn't cutting it, and it's almost impossible to find a 15-17" CRT. I also want 12V power on it. But we'll wait for now.

I suspect there are VERY few of us who know much about ATSC and HDTV at all.
Old 06-19-2003, 01:59 PM   #45
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Fascinating discussion. Unfortunately, (or fortunately I suppose) I'm just the average consumer who occasionally watches a show on DirecTV.

I can say with a high degree of certainty that if and when NTSC gets turned off, I may never buy another TV. To hell with them! When I was a kid in Sioux City, Iowa we got three channels, two VHF and (later) one UHF. There was seldom anything on worth watching. I now have DirecTV and get over a hundred channels with seldom anything on worth watching.

I confess that I would miss the History Channel, National Geographic, Discovery & SciFi, but not enough to go out and spend thousands, or even hundreds of dollars on new TVs.

I may be a little out there on this, but I wonder how many other folks in our general population would live without TV video, particularly as digital internet video technology is really blossoming?

<soapbox off>

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 03:08 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
I can honestly say about the only time I watch broadcast TV is when a NASCAR race isn't on satellite, and for the local weather... and I can get that on the net. Once I go fulltime, I'll sign DirecTVs RV only waiver and get the East/West feeds of the broadcast networks. Won't care if they broadcast locally with ATSC.
Old 07-02-2003, 03:20 PM   #47
2 Rivet Member

We have a 13" RCA 120 volt TV purchased at Wal*Mart for around $75.00. When away from shore power, it is powered from the 12 volt DC system of the trailer via 500 watt inverter that just plugs into the available cigar-lighter outlets in the trailer. The inverter also powers the satellite receiver. Inverter cost about $35.00 (picked up at Flying J).

I also run a 2nd 13" RCA TV in the sleeper of our truck via the same, small (fits in the palm of your hand), inverter.

Can also power two electric blankets on those cold nights while boondocking - plus it can run the coffee maker as well.

*Note* not everything on at once <grin>

If the truck is connected to the trailer, there is no battery problem: 2 batteries in the trailer; 4 in the truck.

Works for us.

don
Old 07-01-2008, 06:03 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1977 31' Sovereign
1977 Argosy 24
Cincinnati , Ohio
We bought a Poloroid LCD TV at Circuit City. It is HD, has analog & digital tuners, composite in, S-Video in, Component A/V in, VGA computer in, HDMI in, a USB port for memory sticks (plays MP4 video files) and has a DVD player.

All that for $300 for a 19" unit. There is also a 15" unit as well.

It doesn't advertise the fact that it runs on 12V DC, but it has an external power supply and guess what the output from that power supply is??? 12V DC!

I just made a direct cigarette lighter to TV cable (used the DC plug off of an old power brick I had, but you should also be able to buy them at Radio Shack). Works great!

My only complaint is that channel scan is Slowwwwww.

You can see the 19" unit at Circuit City's Web site.

Dave
Old 07-01-2008, 08:23 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I have a 15"Magnavox flat lcd thats 12v in the Overlander. The problem I have is I cant find a 12v cord for it.
Roger
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 07:45 AM   #50
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
12 v Flat Panel TV / DVD

I originally bought a flat panel Akai TV/ DVD from E Cost cheap. It turned out to be a remanufactured unit, didn't work and I returned it. I then bought an Audiovox which works fine. Since Audiovox is lower end the strore recomended I buy a service contract. It did not come with a 12v jack. I bought a 12v jack from Radio Shack. There are other TVs out there that basicaly work on 12v stepped down from 110, but some run on about 19. Check the specs, the salesman in the store probably won't know. It's important to check the 12v polarity in your trailer matches the polarity output of the factory 110 to 12v trasformer which you can do with a simple volt meter.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:12 AM   #51
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
From a marine mail order house I have a heavy duty 12 volt LCD digital/analog Jensen tv that came with a 110 volt converter cord. Picture's great! Works fine! It's on its second season. From the mountains I can pick up Denver 100 miles away.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:44 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
Wow, another old thread resurrected!

With the change-over to HDTV this February, there are many HD options being made available, both 12 volt and 110 AC.

This topic has been explored in at least two recent threads:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f317/hd-television-trailer-43071.html and
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450/flat-panel-tvs-3892.html if you care for more reading . . .
GetOutDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 02:16 PM   #53
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up What he said..

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
John

I bought an RCA (p/n E13345) 13" AC/DC color TV on the net from Island Electronic Dist. Corp @ 1.800.221.6532 for $155.00.
Great set-no problems. Comes with both power cords.
John
Used the same set in the Safari.

Nice "little" TV , never had a problem.

Still use it once in awhile in the Classic when dock'n.

Tags
12 volt