Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-17-2009, 03:58 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Let us know if we can help.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:47 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Bullhead City , Arizona
Hello, I am about 60 miles away from Las Vegas about 60 miles outside of Kingman.If I am close to where you are and can give you some help let me know.
Jo
Old 11-17-2009, 07:14 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Reading another thread reminded me: did you get a sway bar installed? Are you in Beatty?
Old 11-17-2009, 08:45 AM   #24
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
great adventure and good fortune

well, each mile in nevada got 34 foot longer! The west always gets longer when you leave...best of all to you.
ol' bill
wmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:01 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Parkdale , Oregon
Steve and I have found that we don't travel as far or as fast pulling the trailer as we did when just driving in the car. Hope everything is going well on this first adventure.

Anne Marie
darlingbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:06 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
I wish they'd check in, but methinks they have bigger issues.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:09 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
If it gets serious, I can help get the outfit back to DFW.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:31 PM   #28
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
No better tow rig than the CTD. Hope yours is also the 305/555 motor. Mine is a 2WD with NV-5600 and 3.73's on stock 265/70-R17 MICHELIN LTX A/S. I solo or tow at 1,750 to 1,850 rpm to keep vibrations to a minimum (more on that), fuel mileage high, and peripheral vision/braking distances maximized.

Don't believe ANYONE that a weight-distributing hitch with anti-sway is not needed. Skill won't matter at the crucial moments. Fifth wheel is NOT as stable as a well-sorted bumper-pull hitch rig. Only good hitches worth having are the Pro-Pride, Hensley Arrow and Pull-Rite. The price seems high, but you'll never see anyone go back to an inferior type. Flip a coin on the price "problem" and you will daily and weekly travel farther and easier with the best hitch type. A hint on which one to choose is a contributor at this site, 2Air who -- while it's true he drives a Ferd -- has more miles with a big trailer and one of these hitches than anyone else I know of . . . and he switched after 70,000 miles to a Pro-Pride.

Let's see: I'm a lifelong Dallasite (until two years ago); had a 34' trailer behind a Dodge CTD/6-speed; have driven OTR intermittently the past dozen years(flatbed, steel/pipe/ you-name-it); have been seriously injured and given a terminal medical diagnosis; moved house six times in five years including a full-timing stint of seven months while we decided what to do next. Any of this sounding familiar? (Okay, we only have a cat). The comments above relate to that (and some now-educated common sense) for making good, safe travel daily & weekly. Trip planning I know. What follows are suggestions as to how to think about this equipment and why you may want it at some point. Some of this I have done, the rest is only a matter of $$.

I know you've got more miles than me, you've been haulin' horses and doggies, BUT I've been beat-to-heck BEFORE I bought the trailer, and I hope the following is useful to you. Travel-trailerin' is all about 300 miles or 3 o'clock, so bear with me a little.

50 mph is still a good number for Interstate planning. 58-63 mph is a good range for road speed. BUT, 300-400 miles per day is the old 600 miles per day in a big truck. Sad to say, but true. Get the good hitch (and work the numbers on the CAT Scale from threads on this site to perfect hitch rigging [axle loading; your new bridge law]), continue to work each departure loading as you did in the truck and you'll be pleased with the problem solving.

The trailer will benefit greatly from these things: disc brakes, CENTRAMATIC balancers (in Alvarado, TX), (check axle height and shock absorbers according to InlandRV directions); change marker and tail lamps to LED units. If not discs, then self-adjusting units (see new thread). HAVE AXLE ALIGNMENT DONE. There are more arguments than you can shake a stick at about tires, so read and read on that. Age is a problem. Tire pressure monitors are a good idea as blown tire damage is more than the trailer is worth sometimes.

The best brake controllers (ask any hotshotter) are BRAKESMART (Dr. Performancein Mineral Wells), or MAXBRAKE (Southwest Wheel, also in D-FW). Settle for nothing less, as with the hitch.

If you have the best hitch, best trailer brakes, best brake controller, the rest is pie. You already have the best road-performance trailer.

As to the truck: BILSTEIN shocks (the yellow/blue or the 5100's); a HELWIG rear anti-roll bar (install it and the front with polyurethane bushings) and, IMO, NOT the factory hitch receiver. TORKLIFT makes the stoutest one I've seen. Replace all exterior lamps if three years old. As you know, factory headlights are a joke, so all new lamps will help.

The 4WD's tend to wear out the balljoints quickly, and there are some super-stout aftermarket pieces available (CARLI). As well, the steering sector shaft tends to ream at the lower end; a new fastener or new shaft may be advisable:

Steering Shaft
Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums - View Single Post - Slop in Steering Shaft

Now, to vibration-reduction. Being older, more easily tired and weaker, I still wanted to be able to put in a full day of backroads or long Interstate days when I wanted (not when I could). I believe that in any TV a good ride is mandatory, so the NVH reduction is crucial (Noise - Vibration - Harmonics). It would entail time and $$.

I was reading an article a while back by Bruce Mallinson of Pittsbugh Power who turns up Detroits, Cummins and Cats. He had a firm make for him a fluid-filled crank damper that, (his words) could give you another couple of hours on the road. Vibration reduction. FLUIDAMPER makes one for our trucks:

Cummins® Performance Dampers by Fluidampr®

Another item is a driveshaft vibration reducer:

Balance Masters: Driveshafts

Add some CENTRAMATICS on the TV and you've covered that aspect. Now, as to noise:

ATP
Quiet Your CTD With ATP! - TDR Roundtable

There is a TSB on DODGE door seals. Check dodgeram.org for the number.

Air ride conversion for DODGE seats:

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/d....html?t=145241

Seat cushions:
AIRHAWK Pro Truck Cushion FAQs - The ROHO Store

Seating posture is a big thing; properly, the shoulder blades should always touch the seat back; feet should rest on the upper floorboard so that backs-of-the-thighs aren't pressured (for full clutch or brake extension) and I should be "centered" behind the steering wheel. I prefer trousers over pants as there is more room to squooch around.

Some other stuff:

ENKAY Mudflaps are the ticket for many to keep the trailer from any further damage. Also:

Wheelwell Liner and mudflap:
Combination Mudflap/Wheel Well Liner Install - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

Rest up a little and realize that trailerin' is just as wearing as truckin' . . . and it's even slower. That's just not a choice most of the time. So modify the TV and TT to get the best, easiest (most comfortable) performance and you'll find that the groove is LOT's easier to get back into than if you're out of the [big] truck for two weeks.

And -- I solemnly promise -- if you tell anyone that day you've been a truck driver for X-years . . . forget being able to back'er in smoothly that afternoon. One day penalty.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 03:59 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
These people have physical problems; we're not talking about air pressure here, dimwit.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:22 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Who the hell is REDNAX? And how did he/she miss the point?
Old 11-17-2009, 04:27 PM   #31
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Might could say the same about you, sir.

I tracked down all this lady's posts -- every one -- and decided to "speak" in this fashion, on this thread, on these subjects. I apologize for lacking that introduction above.

I'm someone who's been around here several years, been an OTR driver, been seriously injured and seriously ill, and lived as a full timer in a 34' for the better part of a year afterwards. (My family has been pulling aluminum trailers since the Eisenhower years).

I was speaking to another truck driver, beat up, ill and wondering if this would work. We can all run out of road.

Yes, it can work. Optimize the rig as best possible for result was the message.
These two already have the rest (as regards being on the road).

You see, what a four-wheeler doesn't understand about being a truck driver is that: the truck IS the job. It takes a lot of work to make that happen; one has to do it to understand this. The level of detail takes more room to write than this site can handle.

A pair of folks, at the side of the road, might find it of interest on how-to-think-about-this versus dwelling on problems. No "problem" of truck or trailer hasn't already been addressed here or on other forums. I chained a scary load (flatbed) in wet snow one time, and, afterwards, I was all ears at the coffeshop counter when other drivers picked up that subject. It drove the tiredness right out of me.

Tonight, in this country, there will be more than 750,000 truck drivers more than 300-miles from home. Sounds like nothing. Doing it is another matter. (And don't be sick or tired).

Sabe?

You want another take on me, then here's a post from earlier on another thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/772465-post1.html
Old 11-17-2009, 04:30 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
Sabe?
Comprende.....
Old 11-17-2009, 05:27 PM   #33
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I tried to PM you, Mike_Leary but I was unable. Check your profile comments.

Forgot some stuff about NOISE:

If you've done the "tone ring mod", then reverse it. And you can lose the Cold Air Intake. Even an 11,000-lb Airstream won't need it running any grade any where you choose. Baker, Raton, the Gorge, irrelevant. If you have a tuner, you don't need it either. EGT's won't change enough to matter. The stock box is quieter, and I have yet to see anyone prove better numbers.

After all, an Airstream needs 20% less power to yank around the countryside. There's guys doing it (no joke) with Jeep Wranglers (JK model; some of our Canuck friends). Cadillacs, other-stuff-you-wouldn't-believe. The (deleted) pulling wood-framed square boxes probably need more help than the latest "go fast" gizmo can give them.

As to the other end of the horse, the stock exhaust is fine; or, a 51" DONALDSON is said to be good. I'm running a resonator AND a ROKKTECH "Silent Might" on mine. Xero, zero, nada drone.

Quiet is a state of blessedness.

Lot's of folks looking to hear from you. (Check the number of views this thread has had).
Old 11-17-2009, 06:21 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Bullhead City , Arizona
Has anybody heard from Victorialhq?
Old 11-17-2009, 06:32 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy Jo View Post
Has anybody heard from Victorialhq?
No, I'm worried.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:39 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Bullhead City , Arizona
Also worried .I pm'd with phone # this a.m.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:48 PM   #37
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
We could be there in 12 hours. I know where they are, and it's a good spot.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:55 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Bullhead City , Arizona
If they are 100 miles from Las vegas I'm only 160 from them I don't know what kind of problems they are having but I might be able to help if we would here from them.
If he is not feeling well they might have holed up until he is better.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:58 PM   #39
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
It's health problems; I don't know if there is a full-on medical facility in Beatty.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:07 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Bullhead City , Arizona
they do have a clinic I don't know maybe a small hospital .Nothing fancy everybody usually goes to vegas.