Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Squarestream > All Squarestream Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-27-2012, 02:30 PM   #1
Be Calm, Have a Cupcake

Vintage Kin Owner
Houston , Texas
Question About Avions

We have just sold our beloved 1998 34' Excella 1000 and are looking for a new trailer.

We are considering an Avion 34V (Rear Bath, Twin Beds) because:
- It has so much more room than the Excella
- The frame is 6" steel and has 6 wheel independent suspension
- Has Rear Bath (lots more bathroom)
- Has Twin Beds (much easier to get around and make-up, not so good for cuddling)
- Single A/C can cool the entire trailer due to its open floor plan vs. Excella that requires 2 A/Cs in hot weather.
- They seem to be built way better than Airstreams

Does anyone know any horrible bad reason that we should NOT be considering the Avion (OK, other than that it is NOT an Airstream)? We'd like to hear all the bad about the Avions before we invest.

Thanks for your best efforts to warn us about anything structurally, technically or for any other reason.

Would you rather have a mansion full of money or a trailer full of love?
Secguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:53 PM   #2
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
They are heavier and sit a little higher, so they ask more of the tow vehicle.

In general, parts availability is not as good as for Airstream trailers of the same era.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I had a 1983 34' 3 axle Avion for a place to stay when I visited some friends with property. I only towed it once, about 100 miles, which went fine. It was a very very nice trailer with these two exceptions:

Like Airstreams of the same era, when they cut a hole through the floor to run a drain pipe, or a water line they left huge gaps around it, and the mice just loved it. It took me forever to find all the places that Avion did not seal up and mice could come in.

The black water tank drain on mine had several bends in it and was too flat. I is the only trailer I ever owned that had build up of stuff in the tank between dumps and it was exceptionally difficult to clean out properly. Mine had the same rear bathroom as the one you are looking at.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:19 PM   #4
Be Calm, Have a Cupcake

Vintage Kin Owner
Houston , Texas
Thanks. This is exactly the kind of feedback we are hoping to get.

More please!!!

Old 06-27-2012, 04:15 PM   #5

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I've never known anyone to fault the general construction of an Avion, but I caution you against thinking that there's too much magic in the "open layout." Cooling an entire 34' aluminum trailer in a Texas summer with 1 AC will be a challenge.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:12 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Just two comments:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secguru View Post
...has 6 wheel independent suspension
Airstream's torsion axles also provide independent suspension. Should be a wash there. Avion's design in the 1989 brochure I found and attached looks about the same. (Hope you enjoy the brochure)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secguru View Post
- Single A/C can cool the entire trailer due to its open floor plan vs. Excella that requires 2 A/Cs in hot weather.
My experience with cooling a 34' trailer indicates to me that the open design would be a disadvantage. In really hot weather, like this week, I can close off the back half and cool the living area down. It's just a lot of poorly insulated skin exposed to the sun to cool with a single AC. As far as poorly insulated goes, there is just so much you can do in two inches.

The Avions I have seen have been very nice. The extra storage would be nice, the basement models especially.

Keep us informed.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Avion 1989_brochure.pdf (5.11 MB, 101 views)
Old 06-27-2012, 05:35 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I forgot to mention that my 34' Avion with one AC unit was not very good at keeping cool when it got above 95. I tried not to visit there when it was hot.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:43 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
grants pass , Oregon
Avion trailers

Avions are excellent trailers.Very high quality.Buy It !
Old 06-27-2012, 06:45 PM   #9
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
You will want [2] A/C units (15k & 13.5K) and an upgrade to 50A service for Texas weather. AL-KO stocks a slightly "weightier" torsion axle now than the originals (really, good for about 15-years, then . . . . ).

TXIceman, here, and (especially) on IRV2 bought an '89 34V my wife and I looked at a few years ago. His careful work (renovations and upgrades, as above) make him a good source for you. They recently sold it to get a large 5'er for retirement (too many dogs or something).

Roof sealing is a question to answer among others. The YAHOO Avion Owners Group has plenty of participants and a worthwhile archive (I've read there extensively).

No question that the electrocoat finish on the '89 & '90 stands up in appearance. But exterior locker doors and other lower plastic cladding may need some help.

The earlier trailers, with the Adjust-A-Ride suspension is a semi independent suspension for which the stub axles have to be built by custom order (according to a recent thread where the owner found this out the hard way while on the road and wound up converting to conventional leaf-spring axles.)

Not appealing to me. I'd definitely take apart the complete suspension, down to leaf disassembly, then put it back together with some JBarca style upgrades (on Woodalls) and better than stock shock absorbers. The 7.00X15 on 15x6 rims they used back then is less worrisome (use YOKOHAMA RY-215 today).

CAYO still has some parts. There are also several knowledgeable owners around here (see JimGolden, IIRC).

Hard to go wrong with. A cabinet re-finish really perks up the interior, too, by the way.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:52 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
grants pass , Oregon
Avion AC

There is a very good chance that Avion 34 is already wired for the second AC unit.There will be a blank plate on the ceiling in the rear,the decal denoting 2nd ac unit or something may even still be intact.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:25 AM   #11
Be Calm, Have a Cupcake

Vintage Kin Owner
Houston , Texas
Again, thanks so very much. We are mostly interested in an 87-89 34V model.

I looked at the 34VB (basement) model, but it seems that it would present a larger towing wind load and has less cargo weight capacity than the 34, so one has to ask what is the use of all that extra cargo space if it has less cargo weight capacity?

Good info on the A/C issue. The A/C is in the kitchen area, just forward of center of coach. The Avion is sectionalized with folding doors such that one can cordon off the living room when sleeping or the bedroom when occupying the living room, thus making a much smaller area to be cooled in extremely hot weather. (see page 8 of the brochure for the 34V floor plan - thanks vswingfield!)

We really like the rear bath/twin bead layout. On our Excella 1000 we got so tired of wedging our way around the double bed at night and my wife hated making it. She also hated the tiny AS bathroom. The Avion has a relatively huge bath and lots of easy walkway. The 6" frame means no rear-sag issues. I'll miss the mouse-fur wall covering on our AS though.

This is all great info you are offering, and thanks very much. We'd like to hear as much pro and con as possible before making our final decision. Keep the comments coming.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:46 AM   #12
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Comments from others on A/C are spot on. I have dual A/C in my 30' Airstream and am far from satisfied with its performance. It's good for keeping the trailer cool on hot nights but not much else. On a hot humid summer day with no shade except what the awnings provide it will keep the front of the interior about 15-20 degrees below the outside temperature provided there's no cooking going on and the door is kept close (almost impossible with kids and dogs). The bedroom cools somewhat better since there are fewer windows.

I would hate to imagine what it would be like with only one A/C unit.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:42 AM   #13
Be Calm, Have a Cupcake

Vintage Kin Owner
Houston , Texas
We had dual A/Cs in our 1998 34' Excella 1000 and found that the trick is to keep all awnings out on hot days even though all windows are closed. The added shade is just enough to keep the AS within its comfort zone. We set the bedroom A/C to 88 degrees and the main A/C to 82. The bedroom A/C almost never turned on. At night we reversed the set points.

Of course, we retracted the main awning whenever we left the coach to avoid wind damage.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:55 AM   #14
1989 AVION 32S

Vintage Kin Owner
Westminster , Maryland
I own a1989 Avion 32 S and it has been a dream to tow, live in, and renovate. The quality that the manufacturers originally installed is second to none. Many replacement parts can be found at a good hardware store as well. If you can find one in good shape, and many still are, do whatever you can to own it if you are planning for the long term as you won't be disappointed.

Jeppi
Jeppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:09 PM   #15
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeppi View Post
I own a1989 Avion 32 S and it has been a dream to tow, live in, and renovate. The quality that the manufacturers originally installed is second to none. Many replacement parts can be found at a good hardware store as well. If you can find one in good shape, and many still are, do whatever you can to own it if you are planning for the long term as you won't be disappointed.

Jeppi
Hope you'll choose to share more. Pictures are always great, and any Vintage Kin threads on "How To" are welcomed by the fair sized crowd of us who own these other brands.

Welcome!!
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:18 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
grants pass , Oregon
Avion 32S

Hi everyone

I bought my 1987 Avion 32S I year ago today (Aug 1st 2011)

I have been working on the interior all year.

I have yet to take it camping,but will do very soon.

Its close to done.

Pics coming soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG3942.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	475.1 KB
ID:	164462  
Old 10-08-2012, 10:54 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Mesa , Arizona
Airline, any photos to post yet?

~jerry
jerryahyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:20 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Dallas , Texas
I have two 34 footers, one is an early 80s with the center full sized bed, the other an '89 basement model with center bath and rear queen bed. The older trailer has a single 15K Carrier A/C and does just fine in the summertime here in Dallas, although she sits under shade trees. Runs on a standard 20 amp household outlet and with the exception of one overheated plug which was cured by sanding clean the plug lugs, there haven't been any problems running on that current. Some of the later units used gray plastic plumbing with crimped steel bands at elbows and tees. Those are somewhat notorious for leaking. That's the only serious problem that I've had with fittings or appliances in either trailer, except for a worn out refrigerator (more in a sec). Both have slight roof leaks and need a thorough cleaning and new eternabonding. In addition, the '89 has developed a leak around the entry door frame which has damaged the floor on the hinge side of the door. And after thirty years in the older trailer, the cooling unit on the reefer has finally sprung a leak. Considering the age and the fact that I kept that refrigerator in operation almost all the time, I think that longevity is evidence of reliability rather than of a weak link.

I tow the later, heavier basement model and have noticed no problems with the higher profile. I use a 3/4 ton Chevy with the 5.7L V-8 which is really undersized for a 10,600 pound trailer, but I just drive the motor, not the speedometer. In my experience, smaller tow vehicles can do a competent job if the driver pays attention to the feedback they give him and drive them accordingly. Yes, they'll not give you as high an average speed, but as my wife asks, "What's time to a pig?" Why not drive a little more slowly and enjoy the scenery? But there's not really a noticeable difference between the two behind the same tow vehicle. Either will tow beautifully at 60-70 mph on level ground and I have to admit that I once looked down and saw 90+ on the speedo on a long straight down grade on US 70 just east of Las Cruces. WHOA!! But she felt solid as could be, so much so that I had no idea so much speed had built up in just a few seconds of inattention. They feel stable in curves as well, although I tend to take turns quite slowly.

I just wish I had weathered the last two or three decades as well as these two old ladies.
Doodle6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:24 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1988 Argosy 32
Lomita , California
Thumbs up

Hi, have a hard look at flor, loked at one mice had got into not nice.
they are well bilt and age well- Wolfe
Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote