Old 08-01-2012, 05:09 PM   #15
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeppi View Post
I own a1989 Avion 32 S and it has been a dream to tow, live in, and renovate. The quality that the manufacturers originally installed is second to none. Many replacement parts can be found at a good hardware store as well. If you can find one in good shape, and many still are, do whatever you can to own it if you are planning for the long term as you won't be disappointed.

Jeppi
Hope you'll choose to share more. Pictures are always great, and any Vintage Kin threads on "How To" are welcomed by the fair sized crowd of us who own these other brands.

Welcome!!

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:18 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
grants pass , Oregon
Avion 32S

Hi everyone

I bought my 1987 Avion 32S I year ago today (Aug 1st 2011)

I have been working on the interior all year.

I have yet to take it camping,but will do very soon.

Its close to done.

Pics coming soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG3942.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	475.1 KB
ID:	164462  

1987 Avion 34X

1985 Avion 30R
Airline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:54 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Mesa , Arizona
Airline, any photos to post yet?

~jerry
Old 10-29-2012, 11:20 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Dallas , Texas
I have two 34 footers, one is an early 80s with the center full sized bed, the other an '89 basement model with center bath and rear queen bed. The older trailer has a single 15K Carrier A/C and does just fine in the summertime here in Dallas, although she sits under shade trees. Runs on a standard 20 amp household outlet and with the exception of one overheated plug which was cured by sanding clean the plug lugs, there haven't been any problems running on that current. Some of the later units used gray plastic plumbing with crimped steel bands at elbows and tees. Those are somewhat notorious for leaking. That's the only serious problem that I've had with fittings or appliances in either trailer, except for a worn out refrigerator (more in a sec). Both have slight roof leaks and need a thorough cleaning and new eternabonding. In addition, the '89 has developed a leak around the entry door frame which has damaged the floor on the hinge side of the door. And after thirty years in the older trailer, the cooling unit on the reefer has finally sprung a leak. Considering the age and the fact that I kept that refrigerator in operation almost all the time, I think that longevity is evidence of reliability rather than of a weak link.

I tow the later, heavier basement model and have noticed no problems with the higher profile. I use a 3/4 ton Chevy with the 5.7L V-8 which is really undersized for a 10,600 pound trailer, but I just drive the motor, not the speedometer. In my experience, smaller tow vehicles can do a competent job if the driver pays attention to the feedback they give him and drive them accordingly. Yes, they'll not give you as high an average speed, but as my wife asks, "What's time to a pig?" Why not drive a little more slowly and enjoy the scenery? But there's not really a noticeable difference between the two behind the same tow vehicle. Either will tow beautifully at 60-70 mph on level ground and I have to admit that I once looked down and saw 90+ on the speedo on a long straight down grade on US 70 just east of Las Cruces. WHOA!! But she felt solid as could be, so much so that I had no idea so much speed had built up in just a few seconds of inattention. They feel stable in curves as well, although I tend to take turns quite slowly.

I just wish I had weathered the last two or three decades as well as these two old ladies.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:24 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1988 Argosy 32
Lomita , California
Thumbs up

Hi, have a hard look at flor, loked at one mice had got into not nice.
they are well bilt and age well- Wolfe