Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Squarestream > All Squarestream Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-21-2004, 08:15 AM   #1

Land Yacht "Squarestream"

Hello all, I'm new to forums here and I think I have found the right place. Many years ago I bought a 1989, 35' Land Yacht. Some call it the "Squarstream". It does have the fiberglass sides.
I want to restore it but wonder if I wll have more $$ in it than it is worth. Any help will be appreciated.
Al R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 08:23 AM   #2
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
MH or trailer?

Good to have you on the forum, Welcome

Is that Motorhome or trailer?

If so, just FYI, typically on this forum we call a square trailer (Airstream) a "squarestream"

I have a MH 33 footer, 1990 model. It is a Landyacht. There are about ten LY owners on the forum. Lots of help repairing your unit here.

Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 11:45 AM   #3
qqq
4 Rivet Member

Lightbulb

A trailer
qqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 12:34 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings Al R.!

Welcome to the Forums!

Quote:
Many years ago I bought a 1989, 35' Land Yacht. Some call it the "Squarstream". It does have the fiberglass sides. I want to restore it but wonder if I wll have more $$ in it than it is worth. Any help will be appreciated.
You are asking a question that I asked myself when I purchased my '64 Overlander in 1995. At that time anything over about 22' was considered somewhat less valuable from the standpoint of collectability. In the intervening years, the larger trailers have caught on and their values are catching up to the smaller coaches (still lag beghind, but not to the degree of nearly a decade ago). It wasn't too many years ago that there was a tremendous value difference between an Airstream and a similar vintage Argosy - - today, that gap is narrowing as well. It is difficult to forecast future values, but it seems that any Airstream product holds its value far better than most if not all of its contemporaries.

My suggestion would be to approach your coach from a similar viewpoint that I did with my Overlander. Assess your situation - - do you anticipate keeping the coach well into the future? If your answer is "yes"; then the question becomes one of prioritizing your needs and wants within the coach. Once you have completed an assessment; you can establish a budget and begin work on the restoration. If your experience with your '89 Land Yacht is like mine with the '64 Overlander, you will find that you have more than its resale value invested in it initially - - but when you consider two other factors it becomes a little less disconcerting - - (1) What could you have purchased in a New Airstream for the amount invested in your current Airstream? (2) Would you be as truly pleased and satisfied with a new or newer coach with a similar amount of monetary investment?

I know that when the restoration on my Overlander was fiished, I had no regrets despite having somewhat more than its resale value invested - - part of the reason for this is that 90% or more of the retoration was professionally done. I am enjoying my '64 Overlander far more than I would a new Airstream with similar investment, at least in part, due to the fact that it has a floorplan that is no longer available in a new Airstream. I also have a personal connection to the coach as it belonged to friends' of my family who purchased it new in '64 and took me on my first camping trip in the trailer when it was nearly new and I was five years old.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 07:47 AM   #5

Hello. We recently purchaces a '89 29' "squarestream". We initially were looking for a regular shaped Airstream trailer but then found this one, after missing out on a heck of a deal on a '95 25' Safari. Our "Squarestream" is really growing on me though, and I haven't seen any other than ours yet. Would anyone know where to get a new outer door or have ours repaired, it seems to be sprung a bit. Thanks.
Bizzells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 07:57 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings Bizzells!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Airstream Ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizzells
Hello. We recently purchaces a '89 29' "squarestream". We initially were looking for a regular shaped Airstream trailer but then found this one, after missing out on a heck of a deal on a '95 25' Safari. Our "Squarestream" is really growing on me though, and I haven't seen any other than ours yet. Would anyone know where to get a new outer door or have ours repaired, it seems to be sprung a bit. Thanks.
While I don't have direct experience with the doors on the "squarestream" coaches, if the doors are similar to those on the riveted coaches, a repair will likely be possible and at significantly less cost. Both of my coaches had door issues as the result of doors that had likely been blown open in-transit. In both cases, my dealer (Ace Fogdall RV, Cedar Falls, IA) was able to successfully repair the doors. I am sure that other Forum Members in Texas can refer you to a reputable dealer in Texas who could assist you with this repair.

Good luck with your coach!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote