Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Squarestream > All Squarestream Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-22-2017, 11:12 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Neptune Beach , Florida
1986 AS Argosy 29' value if Fair?

Hey all, I've been quietly reading and researching and got brace today as a newbie and registered. I'm looking at a 86 Argosy 29' and in condition I am not sure if value. If anyone out there in Squarestream land can help? The trailer is about 3 hours away and I'm just do nervous and excited a big lie bundle of nerves.. it's just me so I felt the cool supportive vibe on here as I read posts and I love how supportive the community is.
Thank you for reaching back I can't share the link as I guess I'm too new. But I have the info to share.
In gratitude
Amy in Neptune FL
Amstrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 12:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Welcome to the Forums.

One thing you want to do for sure is get the "Trailer Inspector's checklist" (downloadable from the Portal page), and use it to do a thorough inspection of the trailer. There is also an interface on the right hand side of the portal screen that will help you locate volunteer inspectors.

Out of curiosity, are you looking specifically for a squarstream, or is this just what happens to be available?

As far as value goes, it depends a lot on condition, and how much actual work has already been done to turn back the hands of time. The trailer you are interested in is ~30 years old, so expect all of the scary things that any vintage owner sees (ie., floor rot, frame disintegration, critter infestation, sagging axles, etc.). Also, the longer trailers are typically in less demand than the shorter ones, and the Argosys are in less demand than the shiny Airstreams. One source if "truth" is to look on Ebay and see what comparable trailers are actually selling for (though these values tend to be a little inflated).

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 04:37 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Neptune Beach , Florida
Smile

Oh thank you so much for the suggestions. I will look for the inspectors list. I did read that these are not as in demand then read the thread on Squaredtreams. I actually do like the layout and spaciousness of this model. I would love the classic shaped airstream the flying cloud is a nice layout also but well beyond my tiny budget. I am still waiting to hear back from the seller today as I asked him a good many questions on the flooring, the brakes/tires, wiring,lights the tanks for all plumbing, and the towability. The pics looked nice yet lacking a few.

I just hope I can find something if this isn't it. i need to go with a model that's not in demand. Eventually I do want to find a long term free spot so I can save.
I do have done physical challenges and I find this idea ideal. I'm reading and watching YouTube videos on how things are done now. Quite different that 25 years ago!

Thank you so much for replying today. I'm grateful for the insight.
Amy
Old 05-24-2017, 08:34 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Land Yacht
St. Catharines , Ontario
I have a Squarestream and have had a good look at an Argosy. They are virtually the same. You can even see the beige paint that they used on the Argosy on my Squarestream under the belt trim. My trailer has all the issues that were stated above, less the sagging axles. The trailer originally came from Florida, then to Canada and spent winters in Arizona, so it's seen plenty of different climates. I'm doing a complete shell off restore, and I believe most of the problems stem from leaking windows. That moisture eventually finds its way into the belly pan and soaks the pink insulation and 30lbs of mouse/squirrel poop and 30lbs of walnuts and never dries out. The outriggers then rot, and need to be replaced. I would have a good look under the trailer and if you see galvanic corrosion on the belly pan, you're probably going to have rotted out outriggers too. Other than the outriggers, the rest of the chassis is in real good shape...I just dropped it off for sandblasting today. I can't say if all Squarestreams would be in this condition...mine is the only one I've seen and the Argosy I saw last fall. There is a 5th wheel Square and 5th wheel Argosy for sale up here in Hamilton that I would like to see someday, both are pretty rare. I don't don't think I would attempt a shell off restore one of those though.
ktmkirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 11:13 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Neptune Beach , Florida
@ktmkirby

Thank you so much for the detailed info. I still can't get the owners of the Squarestream listed to return my messages. Maybe they have sold it already? I noticed a price reduction on the day I reached out to them. It's on Craigslist in SC near Charleston. It did have water stain on the newer flooring but he ad said that the leak was fixed. Now that I read all you have to say, it may be in worse shape than implied.? I asked many questions of them in my email and never got a reply text or anything. After several attempts I'm thinking this one probably just isn't for me. I sure liked the floor plan and the rarity of it.
I'm still looking !!!
I so appreciate the great details shared and I will keep in mind if I ever get to see this trailer. you are a wealth of good information. Many thanks!
Old 05-25-2017, 11:48 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Neptune Beach , Florida
A different Argosy option?

https://daytona.craigslist.org/rvs/6106934803.html

If this link goes through this is an Argosy ( not Squarestream) in Daytona.
Thoughts? I like the updated items but unsure of price - yet again. The exterior needs a clean & not sure if it has a canopy - sounds like it was used with no problems.
Maybe I should learn more before I shop. Rather than ask on every find.
I willl keep learning looking. I have 3 yrs to do this..
So much info on here . It's amazing!!
Old 05-25-2017, 01:24 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Land Yacht
St. Catharines , Ontario
You really need to get a look behind the belly pan at the chassis. One easy way to tell if there's going to be chassis damage is to look at the cross member that the rear bumper is attached to, and the outriggers on either side of the wheel wells.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:33 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Land Yacht
St. Catharines , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amstrix View Post
https://daytona.craigslist.org/rvs/6106934803.html

If this link goes through this is an Argosy ( not Squarestream) in Daytona.
Thoughts? I like the updated items but unsure of price - yet again. The exterior needs a clean & not sure if it has a canopy - sounds like it was used with no problems.
Maybe I should learn more before I shop. Rather than ask on every find.
I willl keep learning looking. I have 3 yrs to do this..
So much info on here . It's amazing!!
I like it, but I don't think I'd pay that price for it. I'm not an expert though.
Old 05-26-2017, 01:33 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 24
Gilbert , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmkirby View Post
I like it, but I don't think I'd pay that price for it. I'm not an expert though.
I this condition worth maybe $4500

1977 24ft Argosy - sold.
Picinisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 12:23 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Neptune Beach , Florida
It is still available and I may go down and look. I really appreciate the input as well as education. I've now looked at videos of the shell off restoration and the outrigger frame chassis issues. I'm learning..

And now I've run across another Squarestream !!
I'm obsessed late at night I guess. This one is far far away I'd have to get someone to look but the did include underneath photos unlike most on craigslist.
This one looks so much better but still...

I have some saved and my mom is willing to help with about 3-4K
The length of the Squarestream is nice but now I'm getting concerned about the maneuverability - I am no expert at long trailer pulling & access in & out of places..
Personal divulgence here-
I am just determined though to prove to myself that no physical muscle disease is going to stop me from living my airstream dream once my teen goes to college. ( if not she's loading up ) Lol!! I so miss meeting new folks, nature and I'm in such a time war with my body and my dream.
So here is this other Squarestream
I like this one for being parked- boondocked! Maybe It has some of same issues as other one as it is priced at 4999. But resale was less these don't pop up often so I'm sharing here.. in this thread ..
Still dreaming ...
https://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/rvs/6124114929.html
Old 06-06-2017, 06:09 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Nice to see you are getting lots of good info and help.Not much to add other I am not a Graigslist fan.Be careful.
Good luck and I hope you find a nice Squarestream.We love ours.
Old 06-06-2017, 06:23 PM   #12
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

One key thing to be aware of: Can you tow it in it's current condition? If not, can you get it into that condition easily? Burned out bulbs and a new battery are easy, replacing the axles ... not so much. You only have to get it home, no need to go overboard. If putting a temporary plate on it requires an inspection, focus on the inspection items.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote