Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-09-2006, 12:07 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Basecamp as a real Airstream? Thats a good one...

Maybe I'm too much a purist- I'm not a fan of the Beatrice Foodstreams, or the Thorstreams. I think based on history of Byam, Hawley Bowlus, and Curtis Wright- clubs that mention their names and follow their dreams should be more in line with what their visions were- but in a modern form, of course. I don't think any envisioned trailers that weighed double as theirs, or corporate beancounters designing the future of travel trailers by worry about the P+L...

Just my stupid opinion- please continue with the task of deciding the issue at hand...
millionairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 11:08 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
But then again, maybe not ...

A few weeks ago I received the following email from Wayne Moore, VAC President, replying to an inquiry whether a 1930s Bowlus trailer would be admitted into the WBCCI. Here is an excerpt from his reply:

"I went through this exercise of asking what is and is not acceptable when I was VAC 3rd VP. I got a piece of paper from the Board showing the trailers which are accepted. All Trailers Manufactured by Airstream since 1932, including any kit trailers still in existence, like Dr Holman's 1935 Torpedo and the square-stream styled Mid Fifties, Holiday. The 1946 Curtis Wright, not the 47 or 48 just the 46, because Airstream started back up in 47. This also removes the 49 which transitioned to Silver Streak later that year. Silver streaks are not allowed as they are a different manufacturer altogether. So.......the short answer to the Bowlus question is no."

The qualification "still in existence" suggests that any newly built Torpedo might not be acceptable, although the Torpedo was not the focus of the inquiry and was only mentioned in passing. Airstream was manufacturing trailers when Dr. Holman Sr. built his Torpedo in 1935, so it is not a question of home built [not kit built] Airstreams exisiting wholly and only before Airstream first began manufacturing trailers. Factory and home built Airstreams were contemporaries during the early and mid 1930s. Are the only acceptable Torpedos those existing at the time the Club was formed, or perhaps at a later date when the constitution was last amended, and therefore grandfathered in? Or would the Club take a fresh look at a newly built Torpedo? I can't say, and due to it being so unlikely to arise, the issue was probably not given much consideration by the Club when it replied to Wayne a few years ago. Nevertheless, the suggestion is there that any newly built Torpedo might not be acceptable as the sole basis for membership. But I hope it is still an open issue that has not been directly and finally addressed. If a new Basecamp becomes acceptable, it seems a new Torpedo should likewise be acceptable as a matter of policy. But until somebody builds one, we're ruminating on the number of Airstreams that can fit on the head of a pin.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 11:53 AM   #23

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
Stephanie,

It would be a great home build project. The design is really quite genius in its simplicity. Its efficient use of material and ease of assembly makes it a very attractive DIY project.
It's very tempting. Before I bought the AS I was seriously looking into building a teardrop. I have quite a collection of plans from old magazines and some modern plans I bought. I might think about this as a future project. I have my hands full with a Mustang right now, but I have sworn this will be my last Mustang, so after that the garage will be free for other projects.

Fred, that sounds like they have already researched the issue, and makes it pretty clear. Good find. Whatever the WBCCI's opinion, I know it will be welcome at a Forum rally!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 04:58 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
With all of those restrictions one
the problem isn't restrictions, it is the exceptions.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 08:52 PM   #25
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
I have to agree with you. My new unit just voted. No for the name change and No for the base camp. Some feel that it is Thor product, not an airstream. If they go with that reasoning then my 06 Classic 31 is a Thor product as well and should not be allowed into WBCCI.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 10:50 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
More Photos Please!!!

Carol -

LOVE the photos of Dr. Holman's trailer. PLEASE will you and anyone else that has any - interior, exterior, all! PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE post them.

Maybe another thread is needed here - sorry mods!

I really LOVE the idea of a home built trailer. Something like that is really tickling my 3 1/2 braincells into serious activity! The photos really get it all going!

Any ideas on what all the "jinglie janglies" hanging from the ceiling are? Is that center vent/AC? something that 'pops' up?? Any other thoughts on locations of this, that and the other? All input here is really valued!

Thanks for the brain food, Carol!

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 11:32 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverToy
Carol -

Any ideas on what all the "jinglie janglies" hanging from the ceiling are? Is that center vent/AC? something that 'pops' up??

Axel
Dr. Holman modified his Torpedo continuously. The jinglie janglies are part of an arrangement to put up a shower stall. The AC lowers for travel (reducing drag) and raises when parked.
Old 06-10-2006, 12:33 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Raises/ lowers - How?

Forrest -

Thanks for the reply. Any idea how the AC unit raises/ lowers? Any other photos to add???????

Do you know of any other interior details. I think that there might be several others that would also be interested in any and all details...!

That goes for all you 'seen if in person' folks!!! ALL PHOTOS GREEDILY AND GRATEFULLY AWAITED!!!

Axel
Old 06-10-2006, 08:39 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I've seen tons of pictures of that trailer, but hardly ever have I seen interior pictures. Its really a cool trailer as I've been in it - really nice woodwork.

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 08:45 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
there's a picture of Dr. Holman on his trailer at Boise in '98 at
http://sierranevadaairstreams.org/me...e/gallery.html
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 10:57 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
A/C & shower

Here's some photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shower pan.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	22190   Click image for larger version

Name:	shower hookup.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	22191  

Name:	Shower curtain rigging & AC interior.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	22192   Click image for larger version

Name:	AC unit, rear.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	22193  

Old 06-10-2006, 11:02 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
The first photo is the shower pan that gets connected to a drain in the floor. The second (going clockwise) is the "shower head", the third is the rigging for the shower curtain, with the interior portion of the A/C (notice how little of it protrudes through the ceiling). The forth is the A/C exterior from the rear, notice the angle iron track. I failed to make a note of how the A/C is raised and lowered. Don't know if it is cranked up by a means of gears or hydraulics..
Old 06-10-2006, 11:10 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
More...

Here's a photo of the bedding arrangement. To me the Torpedo has been "improved" just a bit too much. I felt more like I was in Inspector Gadget's lab than in a homey trailer. The shower is quite involved. I'd probably opt for a sponge bath rather than go to all the trouble of getting the shower set up. The bedding is tight because of the way the rear slopes down and up to a point.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bedding.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	22194  
Old 06-11-2006, 12:12 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

Attorneys-

Probably forced "Dr" Holman to pay so much malpractice insurance that he couldn't afford the new Thorstream he was dreaming of- so he had to adapt his old trailer to fit his lifestyle- hence the Professor Gadget look...

I don't see any cranks or hydraulics for the AC- it was probably just shoved up. I like that idea- I see AC covers on the side of the road everyday and things like this are a welcome change to having that big ugly box on our roofs. I can envision making one from a new low profile AC- discard the outside and utilize the guts. It needs a vented panel on the sides though, made from polished aluminum to pretty it up when its raised.
Old 06-11-2006, 12:26 AM   #35

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I think it is a trait of people who lived through the depression to be constantly tinkering to make things better or make things do. My husband tells me how his granddad was forever tinkering and improving things until he had pull cords everywhere, and all sorts of strange riggings and contraptions to do simple tasks that you could have just as well done yourself. Maybe it was the inventive spirit of the time? But I agree, the trailer does look a bit overdone and cluttered inside. I hate to see all that shower stuff mounted on that beautiful woodwork (though I'm sure whoever did that was very proud of their engineering skills). I'd rather see it open and as spacious as a tiny trailer like that can be, and go with the sponge baths, or setup an outdoor shower and stick the hose out the window!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 01:03 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

Hose shower-

When you talk about the hose out the window, it reminds me of my dad, who insisted we always have hot showers. Our HWH was broken in our trailer on a camping trip and he coiled a 100' of green garden hose up on the roof- in direct sunlight. It got nice and hot- almost too hot. I still remember smelling that rubber from the water which came out of it, but we had enough hot water from the 100' of hose to have a warm shower at 10AM and by 12 it was scorching. It usually took an hour or so to warm the water.

I love outdoor showers- I'm thinking about rigging up a hot and cold tap with a quick connect fitting for a shower massage in my rear storage, and have a way to shower out back when the possibility arises- really nice under the stars at night...

I certainly agree people were more resourceful then- it seems like today they just shop for the cheapest way to do something, at Wal Mart...
Old 06-11-2006, 01:40 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Agreed!!!

The "Get it NOW" scurge at "Whatever-mart" is aboninable!

Wish there was more of the "make it do, wear it out, or do without" mentality in todays world. Ingenuity, and practicality, have a place as well!

Tilting at windmills....

Axel
Old 06-11-2006, 01:57 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member

Tilting at windmills? Don Quixote de la Mancha? Now thats practicality in todays world- makes more sense than it ever did...
Old 06-12-2006, 10:40 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraBreeze
What a suprize to see my grandparents as an avatar.
Diane that is a great vintage Airstream family photo! Thanks for posting it. How wonderful to be a multigenerational family who Airstreams. I love it, they simply epitomize the joy of travel. Can you tell us something about this picture? It looks like it's from a Mexico caravan? I wonder if they are in some of the pictures or video in the AS books and DVD. I will keep my eye out for the number!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hrsn_mextrip1.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	22238  

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 04:02 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Long Beach , California
Ok, interesting thread about membership. I have the same question. Does a Curtis Wright trailer qualify? After all, the original design of a Curtis Wright was Wally Byam's.
cuyeda is offline   Reply With Quote