Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-21-2012, 07:52 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
What is this camper?

This was my granddad's but we can't figure out what year make or model. Any ideas? Amy help is truly appreciated. We thought it was home made but it's too nice of a job. It has a rear door, awning, matching vintage stove and ice box, fold down table and bunk bed.
Robbie in Alabama
Attached Images

Kittypuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:00 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Looks like a converted horse trailer.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:48 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
It's not..................
Old 03-21-2012, 08:58 AM   #4
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
It could have been made by a company that made horse trailers and campers. Where's the door—rear? (Like a horse trailer.)

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:27 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
Would pull like a huge brick on a windy day..

Sodbust
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:30 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
It's not a horse trailer......the frame is all aluminum strips, not built to withstand a horse. It has as a small rear locking door with window the same as the front. I think it may have been a Kit type camper. I will add higher def pictures of the inside and out, shoulda done that before I posted. It has the hand pump sink and cover, fresh water tank, et.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:09 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Robbie

I don't have a clue what it is, but it makes sense that it may have been a kit trailer. There were kits for everything back in the 40's, 50's and 60's. A lot of the tear drop trailers were made from kits. It would be interesting to take a look at a Popular Mechanics magazine from the 50's and see all the kits that were advertised. Sorry I can't help.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:36 AM   #8
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Robbie, I know it is not a horse trailer, but if a company that made them decided they had the technology to make trailers, it would look like this. They might use aluminum because that was a common thing with travel trailers when this was made. If it is a kit, maybe a company that made horse trailer kits decided to make travel trailer kits. It could even be made by a company that made bad horse trailers with aluminum.

I will be glad to see the interior photos. Whatever it is, it is a cool part of history. Every once in a while we find some old trailers in a transportation museum and they are always fun to see—often creative and idiosyncretic.

RV's are one of those industries that has resisted consolidation into a few big, big companies. These old ones are fascinating and part of that resistance.

The avatars are usually too small to figure out. I see yours looks like a hot dog, but may be more related to your Forum name for all I know—which is pretty gutsy considering all the fun that can be made of it. Kudos for a gutsy name.

Gene
Old 03-21-2012, 11:34 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene
Robbie, I know it is not a horse trailer, but if a company that made them decided they had the technology to make trailers, it would look like this. They might use aluminum because that was a common thing with travel trailers when this was made. If it is a kit, maybe a company that made horse trailer kits decided to make travel trailer kits. It could even be made by a company that made bad horse trailers with aluminum.

I will be glad to see the interior photos. Whatever it is, it is a cool part of history. Every once in a while we find some old trailers in a transportation museum and they are always fun to see—often creative and idiosyncretic.

RV's are one of those industries that has resisted consolidation into a few big, big companies. These old ones are fascinating and part of that resistance.

The avatars are usually too small to figure out. I see yours looks like a hot dog, but may be more related to your Forum name for all I know—which is pretty gutsy considering all the fun that can be made of it. Kudos for a gutsy name.

Gene
Thanks Gene, when I went to pick it up it was sitting on old rotten tires. I remember my grandad had a habit (like most grandparents) that he would remove the nice red rims and tires and replace them with the old ones to "winterize" it. So they still look new and not a crack in them, Original GoodYear tires. When I pick it up Saturday I will post a ton of pictures on Flickr so maybe you can get a better look at it. I think it's pretty neat, and whom ever made it obviously had no gas worries back in the day, but it is so lite I can move it around by hand. What's really cool is I found that there is a "porch" that pulls out from under neath that you can only put two small chairs ( they are still in the camper) and a fabric awning that attaches to the top for shade. The water tank removes and it looks like (but isn't) a old military gas can. It has shore and a round 4 plug tow power on the front, side running lights. Inside it has a sofa that folds open half way ( like it was made for a camper) it has bunk beds and one folds into the wall, as well as the kitchen table. The stove and ice chest are made by the same manufacturer, and the sink has the hand pump style to it. All in all it needs sum luv'n, and I plan on polishing and restoring it to what it was. I will add a link to Flickr so anyone interested in how it comes along can watch the progress. I appreciate the kind remarks, I have read other posts on other forums and see a lot of mean spirited people. Apparently asking a question to an answered post really aggravates some.
As far as the profile name KittyPuke, have you ever looked up to connect to WiFi and the names are always like "bobswifi, maryshouse, guest wifi, wireless network........I named mine KittyPuke because I figured somewhere in my neighborhood it would make someone smile at least once in their day. The HotDog avatar was just a neat picture, and I figured the one I use on my Craigslist personal ad wouldn't fly very well on here Kidding of course!
Again thanks and Saturday I will ad better pix.

Robbie in Bama
Old 03-21-2012, 11:40 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan
Robbie

I don't have a clue what it is, but it makes sense that it may have been a kit trailer. There were kits for everything back in the 40's, 50's and 60's. A lot of the tear drop trailers were made from kits. It would be interesting to take a look at a Popular Mechanics magazine from the 50's and see all the kits that were advertised. Sorry I can't help.

Dan
Thanks Dan, I will check out PM if they have anything online, Robbie
Old 03-21-2012, 12:05 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Robbie

Sounds like the design was reasonably well thought out with the "pull out" porch, awning and bunk beds.

It certainly has withstood the test of time.

Make sure you replace the tires with new ones.

Once you clean it up you may think about adding a Fantastic vent fan in the roof to add ventilation and provide more light for the interior. That would mean adding a battery, if it does not have one, so that may be more than you want to do in the interest of keeping it light and simple.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:08 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittypuke View Post
Thanks Dan, I will check out PM if they have anything online, Robbie
It's easier than you think - they have the issues on Google Books.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:16 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan
Robbie

Sounds like the design was reasonably well thought out with the "pull out" porch, awning and bunk beds.

It certainly has withstood the test of time.

Make sure you replace the tires with new ones.

Once you clean it up you may think about adding a Fantastic vent fan in the roof to add ventilation and provide more light for the interior. That would mean adding a battery, if it does not have one, so that may be more than you want to do in the interest of keeping it light and simple.

Dan
Yup, I think they actually make Solar powered ones now but I haven't read any reviews on them yet. Do you think adding a roof dual heat/AC unit would detract from its character? Other than that and some hidden upgrades I want to keep it as original as possible. Not sure if the structure could handle it tho. I would love to turn the closet into a bath/shower but I'm not sure if it's a good idea. Some people love 100% original and I don't want to be asked wTF did you do???
Old 03-21-2012, 12:19 PM   #14
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Robbie, the name made me laugh so it works. The appointments seem cool and well thought out. The pull out "porch" is fascinating. Has it rusted?

Gene
Old 03-21-2012, 12:22 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittypuke
This was my granddad's but we can't figure out what year make or model. Any ideas? Amy help is truly appreciated. We thought it was home made but it's too nice of a job. It has a rear door, awning, matching vintage stove and ice box, fold down table and bunk bed.
Robbie in Alabama
This will be where I add updated pictures as well as I restore it if anyone's interested. My GMC Coach is on there too.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30929748@N04/
Old 03-21-2012, 12:29 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene
Robbie, the name made me laugh so it works. The appointments seem cool and well thought out. The pull out "porch" is fascinating. Has it rusted?

Gene
Grandad believed in two things, Jesus is coming and you better have WD40. He maintained it pretty well, but even in the barn there's mice and moisture. It works but needs a sanding and painted. It's the same concept as the moving trucks, where the ramp pulls out, it rests on a lip that locks it in place when stored, and two legs that fold down to stabilize it. It has a thin frame with wooden strips as the flooring, it's kinda neat. When I camped before I hated trying to take my wet shoes off, hopping on one foot then sitting on the door frame. This way no worries.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:33 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Cool, I look forward to seeing the inside pictures. I rather doubt that a bath would fit and leave room for living. Plus with a shower you'll want a water heater and...and ...and ...and it never ends!

A porta-potty that stores in the closet perhaps (or the drywall bucket with kitty litter if you want a super inexpensive alternative.).

May I suggest that the pull out porch could probably easily accommodate a shower curtain. A couple of small buckets of warm water and there's your bath with no worries about gray water storage. You'll be able to take this one far off the beaten path where the water police won't see it, and even if you're in an area where dumping gray isn't allowed, just get a plastic evaporator pan and let sunshine take care of the used shower water.

Pictures PLEASE
Old 03-21-2012, 12:44 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again
Cool, I look forward to seeing the inside pictures. I rather doubt that a bath would fit and leave room for living. Plus with a shower you'll want a water heater and...and ...and ...and it never ends!

A porta-potty that stores in the closet perhaps (or the drywall bucket with kitty litter if you want a super inexpensive alternative.).

May I suggest that the pull out porch could probably easily accommodate a shower curtain. A couple of small buckets of warm water and there's your bath with no worries about gray water storage. You'll be able to take this one far off the beaten path where the water police won't see it, and even if you're in an area where dumping gray isn't allowed, just get a plastic evaporator pan and let sunshine take care of the used shower water.

Pictures PLEASE
Ha I work Summers in Teton National Park and luv camping for free in the National Forest. One thing I HATE is using the bathroom at night knowing grizzlies are wanting a better look at what I'm up to at 2am. Since the windows are to high a porta is def. gonna happen even if I have to convert the sofa to hide it
Old 03-21-2012, 03:27 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I know, I know ... wiggles in seat, waves hand in the air. It is Wally's prototype for the Base Camp series of Airstreams.

Do I get the gold star (or silver)?
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:55 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater

It's easier than you think - they have the issues on Google Books.
Thnx