Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-04-2012, 06:33 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
Very cool trailer !

I'm pretty sure this is a 1930's Bowles trailer. I'm told it belongs to some wealthy Asian guy in Japan that's having it stored at a guys place here in El Paso. What a cool piece of history.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2161251976.png
Views:	497
Size:	834.6 KB
ID:	148301   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3769472340.png
Views:	426
Size:	786.5 KB
ID:	148302  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2872308065.png
Views:	1297
Size:	779.6 KB
ID:	148303  
desertair27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:46 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Yeah baby! That's a very stylish can there. Wouldn't it be fantastic to see that restored? Love it.
redwoodguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:56 PM   #3
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
I like it too. I can be there in nine hours.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Denver , Colorado
Wow

That is really nice. So was Bowles a style of AS or another mfg? The cone shaped end looks like the rear end I would guess because I can't see the hitch.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:31 PM   #5
Certifiable

. , .
Bowlus

Hawley Bowlus designed the first aluminum trailers.

Bowlus Trailers
Old 01-04-2012, 07:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreamRollin View Post
That is really nice. So was Bowles a style of AS or another mfg?
If you don't know about William Hawley Bowlus and his connection to Airstreams, you're missing out on a lot of rich history. Bowlus's name is writ large on the early history of aviation. He designed several record setting sailplanes in the early days of aviation, and he was in charge of building Charles Lindburgh's Spirit of Saint Louis. Here's an introduction:

William Hawley Bowlus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bowlus wanted a travel trailer to take out into the desert where they were flying his sailplanes, so designed the first Bowlus trailer for his own use. Wally Byam came along and helped build them. They were not commercially successful--even in the Depression they were too labor-intensive to build--but when Bowlus went out of business, Wally modified the design into what became the Airstream Clipper.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:57 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Denver , Colorado
Thanks I will check it out.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:00 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Columbia , South Carolina
Cool history!
Old 01-05-2012, 09:36 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
When we were contemplating buying an AS my wife gave me this for my b'day: Silver Palaces A fun and beautiful book on the history of aluminum trailers. Lotsa fun.
redwoodguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:56 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top
If only it was for sale! I'm keeping my eye on it.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:16 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

I thought I would jump in on this thread about Bowlus and Airstream history. On the Bowlus side I have done a fair amount of research from searching the LA Law Library, LA Times archives, interviews with lots of the Bowlus family including Bob Bowlus who worked in the factory in 1935 as well as reading the Bowlus production journals. The results of this research is in an article in Airstream Life magazine and in a book I published called "Bowlus, Origin of the Species".

Here is a capsule of my findings. Bowlus produced the first riveted aluminum trailer in the fall of 1934 and geared up for production during 1935. Byam had visited the Bowlus factory a few times according the Ruth Bowlus (Hawley's 2nd wife) and Paul Casper (an employee of Bowlus). Byam was somehow involved in sales of the new Bowlus trailers. I am presuming it was on his retail trailer lot in LA but have no documented proof. Bowlus had cash flow problems in July of 1935 and that is when Mr. Teller from Chicago came in to invest in the Bowlus company, he increased sales and marketing efforts and paid off a portion of the creditors. Teller left in the late fall of 1935 which resulted in another financial problem and the short shutdown of Bowlus trailer manufacturing. In February 1936 the company was reconstituted with two new investors and went into production again from Feburary until Sept 1936 when it was shut down. Production continued on a single 1937 unit and I have a photo of a single 1947 trailer that was produced to order.

On the Airstream side the aluminum riveted Clipper was launched on January 17th of 1936 and during 1936 both the Clipper and Bowlus Road Chief were available for sale. The two companies were competitors. The Airstream Clipper (pre-war) and the Bowlus Road Chief were similar sizes and construction methods but clearly the Clipper was not a duplicate of the Road Chief, but inspired by it. The Clipper's steel frame is quite different, no panels were similar, the door is on the side and windows are roll down. It is my believe that the Clipper must have been developed in the latter half of 1935 to be launched in January. The Clipper was a radical departure from what Wally Byam was producing in 1935.

Hawley built, for the most part, Road Chiefs for stock while Byam build them only to order. Both trailers were expensive and really didn't sell very well compared to Covered Wagon and other traditional trailers. Bowlus built around 80 while Airstream built perhaps 30-40 of them based on the survival rates. Airstream ended production in December of 1937 and sold off production equipment according to a auction announcement in the LA Times.

That sums up the pre-war history of the riveted aluminum trailers. Both companies produced riveted aluminum trailer for about two years each.

You seem to read alot on the internet about Byam buying Bowlus or simply buying Bowlus's metalworking equipment and hiring employees. Based upon my research, I do not believe this is the case since the sheriff sale of Bowlus equipment happened after (Feb 1936) the Clipper was launched. After the reconstitution of the Bowlus company in 1936 production started again with the new midkitchen design. I think both Bowlus and a year later Airstream figured that there was very little market for an advanced super aerodyanamic lightweight trailer that cost about double what a normal masonite wood construction trailer was. Of course Byam continued to sell his wooden masonite trailers all during this period and probably were the bulk of what he produced.

The trailer pictured above is an early 1936 model with a front galley.

John Long
Bowlus #149
Bowlus149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:07 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
akron , Ohio
Amazing history, thanks for posting it.

Its encouraging to see someone take the initiative to study so much about it all. I've read in various places about the Bowlus trailers and am amazed by them and his true aircraft history, which is not the case with WB. Seems a lot more knowledge behind the trailers in the Bowlus line.

Where is the 1947 you speak of? That would be interesting- is it identical to the older ones?

Thanks again. Heather
AirHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:47 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowlus#149
I thought I would jump in on this thread about Bowlus and Airstream history. On the Bowlus side I have done a fair amount of research from searching the LA Law Library, LA Times archives, interviews with lots of the Bowlus family including Bob Bowlus who worked in the factory in 1935 as well as reading the Bowlus production journals. The results of this research is in an article in Airstream Life magazine and in a book I published called "Bowlus, Origin of the Species".

Here is a capsule of my findings. Bowlus produced the first riveted aluminum trailer in the fall of 1934 and geared up for production during 1935. Byam had visited the Bowlus factory a few times according the Ruth Bowlus (Hawley's 2nd wife) and Paul Casper (an employee of Bowlus). Byam was somehow involved in sales of the new Bowlus trailers. I am presuming it was on his retail trailer lot in LA but have no documented proof. Bowlus had cash flow problems in July of 1935 and that is when Mr. Teller from Chicago came in to invest in the Bowlus company, he increased sales and marketing efforts and paid off a portion of the creditors. Teller left in the late fall of 1935 which resulted in another financial problem and the short shutdown of Bowlus trailer manufacturing. In February 1936 the company was reconstituted with two new investors and went into production again from Feburary until Sept 1936 when it was shut down. Production continued on a single 1937 unit and I have a photo of a single 1947 trailer that was produced to order.

On the Airstream side the aluminum riveted Clipper was launched on January 17th of 1936 and during 1936 both the Clipper and Bowlus Road Chief were available for sale. The two companies were competitors. The Airstream Clipper (pre-war) and the Bowlus Road Chief were similar sizes and construction methods but clearly the Clipper was not a duplicate of the Road Chief, but inspired by it. The Clipper's steel frame is quite different, no panels were similar, the door is on the side and windows are roll down. It is my believe that the Clipper must have been developed in the latter half of 1935 to be launched in January. The Clipper was a radical departure from what Wally Byam was producing in 1935.

Hawley built, for the most part, Road Chiefs for stock while Byam build them only to order. Both trailers were expensive and really didn't sell very well compared to Covered Wagon and other traditional trailers. Bowlus built around 80 while Airstream built perhaps 30-40 of them based on the survival rates. Airstream ended production in December of 1937 and sold off production equipment according to a auction announcement in the LA Times.

That sums up the pre-war history of the riveted aluminum trailers. Both companies produced riveted aluminum trailer for about two years each.

You seem to read alot on the internet about Byam buying Bowlus or simply buying Bowlus's metalworking equipment and hiring employees. Based upon my research, I do not believe this is the case since the sheriff sale of Bowlus equipment happened after (Feb 1936) the Clipper was launched. After the reconstitution of the Bowlus company in 1936 production started again with the new midkitchen design. I think both Bowlus and a year later Airstream figured that there was very little market for an advanced super aerodyanamic lightweight trailer that cost about double what a normal masonite wood construction trailer was. Of course Byam continued to sell his wooden masonite trailers all during this period and probably were the bulk of what he produced.

The trailer pictured above is an early 1936 model with a front galley.

John Long
Bowlus #149
Hey John
Thank you so much for all the amazing information.where can I get a copy of your book?
Old 01-17-2012, 07:53 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
Sorry, Top!! Beat you to it. I'm already here. I'll just hook on on my way back-I Wish!!
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:18 PM   #15

Road Chiefs Are Back On The Road!

Somebody on the forums must have seen this? If there's already a discussion, point me in the right direction. For $110,000 you can buy yourself a brand new Bowlus Road Chief. A company out Oxnard is building new trailers from the original Bowlus designs. I'd love to hear what Airstreamers have to say. Seems to me like a hefty price tag for a whole lot of " cool" and not much usable space. But you have to give them credit for keeping these cool trailers alive. You can check it out here. Overview - Bowlus Road Chief
dgbern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 07:16 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Portland , Oregon
Recently as I was tracking down someone to fab a frame for my Silver Streak Clipper, I went to a local Airstream restoration place and while getting the grand tour, back in a corner was an original Bowles. Very much like my project it had seen better days. Yes, a frame off restoration was planned.
bikeukeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 03:15 PM   #17
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire

Name:   image.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  10.1 KB
1935 bowlus on ebay right now.

1935 Bowlus Road Chief Vintage Travel Trailer | eBay

The seller also has some serious eye candy up for sale including a 1936 Drayer and Hanson, a 1956 bubble, and a 1941 Howard Hughes trailer that's gorgeous
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 03:38 PM   #18
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Interesting that they disclaim it to be an Airstream and do not mention the AS connection.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 04:54 PM   #19
JDS
2014 Bowlus Road Chief

Cumming , Iowa
I have the good fortune to have the first new Bowlus Road Chief delivered to a customer. As a former AS owner (2011 23' Int'l Serenity FB) I am in a good position to comment. I've posted a comparison but this time I's like to say that the construction quality of the Bowlus Road Chief that John Long is producing is bullet proof. My youngest son has already put in for our Road Chief when the time comes and I have no doubt that it will be as solid as it is now.

John S.