Old 05-17-2006, 02:26 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
arcata , California
value of a 73 streamline 22 foot

here is the ad

Body in excellent condition, flooring has some soft spots, and appliances need going through. Must go! Dual axle, looks like an Airstream.

i drove by the lot its in to look and it does indeed look like an airstream, very nice looking no noticable defects from about 100 ft away

what is the potential value of this thing? what should i look for that cant be easily repaired?

do you think my tow vehicle can at least move it? dodge b250 318 engine 89.

ive never owned a trailer. ive towed my car as a dingy though. give me some advice im going to try to look at it closer

the owner says he would need to get the title from the oregon dmv also. what sort of difficulty will i have trying to buy and register it here in california
thanks for your help

Old 05-17-2006, 03:03 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
In my search for just the right Airstream I found a gorgeous little Silver Streak. Similar history to Streamline - the fellow who started SL was once a partner in Silver Streak but felt he had a better idea. My understanding is that part of that better idea included building a unit with structural additions that added weight. Not sure how much but folks I'd spoken to felt it was noticeable over Airstreams and Silver Streaks so something to consider.

Soft flooring is not something to take lightly. Getting to it and replacing it can be a big job and what you feel is only where it's really bad, since you can't see it the area could be larger and likely is around the actual soft spot. And also, what caused the soft spot - a leak? That will need to be found and fixed or the problem will reoccur soon enough.

The floor was pretty solid on the Silver Streak when we bought it and we put a sub floor on top to give one solid platform to work on, then due to health and other reasons it sat for three years, one of them on a grassy area. The belly pan was long gone and in that one year the original floor seemed to sponge in all the moisture off the grass and the folks who bought it have had to completely gut the flooring. A major job but he's quite a craftsperson and has a real take charge attitude - you may need to have the same attitude if your floor softspots are larger than you can feel.

As for regi, etc, I've got to leave that to others with experience in that area.

In my opinion from looking at a lot of units if you want a project this might be fine, but given you already know something has caused the floor to go soft, and you don't know the extent of the rot, if you are looking for a unit that needs minimal effort I'd be looking at other trailers.

Good luck with your search.
Barry

Old 05-17-2006, 03:09 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
arcata , California
the asking price is $750 and i will offer less because the owner is in duress

provided i can make it legally mine

if that adds anything new to the equation

what would this thing go for basically as is in your opinion?

I could show you pictures of streamlines, but they look exactly like airstreams to me although they had models that looked like a more standard trailer as well.

in theory this thing would even be quite rare although ive never seen the value of these be as high as airstreams. they went out of business in 1973. im not certain but i believe this model is the duchess. streamlines seemed to make smaller trailers as opposed to the large ones.

perhaps when i do a close up look i will even take some digital pictures for you?

what would this thing be worth if i didnt really fix it up too much?
I mean it looks quite nice even has some shine.

this thing was stored in an open lot for quite some time, this is a rainy northern california climate and its from even rainier oregon

towing capacity on my camper van is 5000 but i dont really want to get to close to that

what sort of brakes are on a 73 airstream? will it be ready to go right from the lot to the city streets across town while i think about what to do with it/
Old 05-17-2006, 03:16 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
arcata , California

here is an example

it does not look that shiny but shinier than i thought it would considering the ad. looks very nice from a distance.
Old 05-17-2006, 03:33 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
arcata , California
what material is a floor made of and how do you replace it?

is the underside not aluminum then?
Old 05-17-2006, 10:55 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamar
what material is a floor made of and how do you replace it?

is the underside not aluminum then?
While Streamline Trailers are similar in appearance to Airstreams, they really are quite different in the details. You may want to ask some of your specific questions to folks more familiar to Streamline Trailers. I know Tom Patterson has a Streamline and he is involved with others and may be able to give you some pointers. Also a google search may help turn up some other resources...not that you aren't welcome here, it's just most folks here on the AirstreamForums know most about Airstream trailers. The more you look at them the more differences you will see ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty | 1946 Curtis Wright Model 2
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 11:18 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
fort wayne , Indiana
streamline

if the camper is decent and all it really needs is floor repair, 750.00 sounds good. you are probably going to have to do brakes and bearings and some wiring. if the body and exterior are fairly solid and wont need much it is a good deal. you have to be handy and do the work yourself.

goodluck,

crowbar
Old 05-17-2006, 11:46 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Try a post on http://www.oldtrailernet.com. I've been poking around in there lately for Avions. You'll find the interface familiar.
The price sounds right, but, make sure you take a good look at the running gear and frame. There are always ugly surprises lurking in there.
Tom.

Not All Who Wander Are Lost.
Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 01:02 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1954 25' Cruiser
2005 25' International CCD
Paradise , Texas
For what it's worth, the trailer pictured above is Tom Patterson's Streamline. It's a nice rig. I believe his father bought it new.
AirForums #1565
WBCCI #7162
Heart of Texas Camping Unit
62 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 01:07 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62 Overlander
For what it's worth, the trailer pictured above is Tom Patterson's Streamline. It's a nice rig. I believe his father bought it new.
I was inside Tom's Streamline a couple of summers ago. He stopped by the RMVAC Rally in Colorado Springs. It's very nice, similar but different...somethings I really liked, others not so much. It was very cool to see ~

At the campground, during the same rally was a Silver Streak...another cool silver deviation of the same design ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty | 1946 Curtis Wright Model 2
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 01:24 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Streamline 22'

Not sure that it looks like a 73, definitely a Streamline, probably Princess model. From that pic, exterior is excellent. Do a search Tom Patterson (think he's in Texas. Or Tom's Trailer Page. He hosts forums for Streamline, Silver Streak,Airstream. Streamline brochures there will tell you weight, etc. etc. and message forums will help with floor. Don't be so specific, it's cheap at that price. Restored condition maybe $3,000 - $6,000 range; my opinion. The 1969 Princess was 3420# dry(350# hitch). Main cause of soft spots; leaks from open top vents & top AC, deteriorated caulking. Check the inside edges as some topleaks go down outside of inner skin to edge-Airstream & SS too. I wish it were here-flyover country-I'd be lookng! Don
Old 05-17-2006, 04:43 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
arcata , California
that picture is tom pattersons 65 22 foot streamline. I tried to use it as an example to show whoever hasnt seen one before (including me) that they look just like an airstream.

the one im considering is not that nice looking although from a distance looks a lot like that one.

sorry i didnt make that clear enough.

the main outer apearance difference is this one actually has some parts painted yellow aluminum color

yes well I wonder if anyone has a blue book value on airstreams not restored but in outer good condition. I mean streamlines ok, but that information might not exist and airstreams are something to go on.

If I bought it for 500-750, decided it was not for me ( it will be difficult even owning it I have no place to park it, i would have to move it every few days) could I easily sell it for more?

You see Ive long thought about getting a 16 foot trailer to turn my small camper van into a motorhome in effect. My camper van mostly is just warehoused on the street most of the time anyway.

But Im not going to know if trailer ownership is for me until I try it so I dont want to invest a lot.
I never thought Id see one like this for cheap, I was thinking more along the lines of the square ones.

Sorry shari there are no streamline forums or owners clubs so I wanted some feedback from you all, that will be enough.

the streamline company was formed by an orignal partner of silver streak who was bought out. It would be more acurate to say it is a lot like a silver streak.

I have no idea on the interior. I wouldnt plan on re upolstering it I suppose I would try to make a plywood floor shaped, fix or replace a refigerator, look at brakes

does anyone know the technology of brakes in a airstream of 73
Old 05-17-2006, 05:02 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamar
that picture is tom pattersons 65 22 foot streamline. I tried to use it as an example to show whoever hasnt seen one before (including me) that they look just like an airstream.

yes well I wonder if anyone has a blue book value on airstreams not restored but in outer good condition. I mean streamlines ok, but that information might not exist and airstreams are something to go on.

does anyone know the technology of brakes in a airstream of 73
Stamar,

RJ Dial has value information on his site vintageairstream.com at: http://www.vintageairstream.com/rr_t...condition.html

This is probably the best information available for old Airstreams.

As far as the technology of brakes, they are electric just like current electric brakes. The parts sometime look different but they work the same, unless you happen to have a 30 footer with hydralic disc brakes.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 05:10 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
arcata , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald
Not sure that it looks like a 73, definitely a Streamline, probably Princess model. From that pic, exterior is excellent. Do a search Tom Patterson (think he's in Texas. Or Tom's Trailer Page. He hosts forums for Streamline, Silver Streak,Airstream. Streamline brochures there will tell you weight, etc. etc. and message forums will help with floor. Don't be so specific, it's cheap at that price. Restored condition maybe $3,000 - $6,000 range; my opinion. The 1969 Princess was 3420# dry(350# hitch). Main cause of soft spots; leaks from open top vents & top AC, deteriorated caulking. Check the inside edges as some topleaks go down outside of inner skin to edge-Airstream & SS too. I wish it were here-flyover country-I'd be lookng! Don
ok well that is something to think of ball park

but, unrestored what would this thing be worth. I wouldnt be investing a lot to restore this thing that is the problem. I am familiar with car brakes and could replace shoes but many home building type projects are beyond me. I would try to live in it eventually, and sell it as is if it didnt work for me.

would there be rvers driving up here to buy it for $1000 is what I really want to know. $1500? suppose it has no working appliances?

I mean id maybe buy a buffer to shine it and put wax on it.

edit so by that list, this would be 'as found' condition 1000-2400

do you think someone is interested in an as found streamline for 1200 or something does that sound right? I realize that is an airstream list