Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-17-2006, 11:26 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
arcata , California
where on earth is that figure from?

I have seen some go for 2800 and as much as 9000 looking on the streamline boards.

i think youre thinking of 50s airstreams or something. im new to this obviously but, in the 50s these things were a different beast looking more like a tube

youll notice a hole in the window cover

ill try and contact the buyer tommorow
one thing i can say is that if its all its cracked up to be youd think someone would have snatched it up it has a for sale sign in a rv lot, and rv owners should know what its worth and be able to tow it away

i mean not everyone can buy a trailer, i just happen to be able to tow it away but i cant buy one being real, i have no land and not even a parking space for my 2 cars it would really have to be a steal for me....

to you all it would be worth more than to me, i mean you have a spot and a garage to work on things so its hard to say value to person. to a collecter it might be worth 5k sight unseen maybe i dont know as long as it can be towed. hehe i guess ill have to see.
stamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 09:50 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

1973 Streamline

Karma,
As I said; go to Tom Patterson's site for info.!
http://www.tompatterson.com - click on Trailers - Click on Streamline Trailers - Click on Articles and Brochures - click on 1973 Brochure. Under Streamline Trailers(2 clicks back) there are Message Boards & Mucho other information. The gold accent is not painted, it is gold anodized aluminum. I believe this year is anodized aluminum,NOT polishable. Take the serial # off the plate
and post on Tom's message board to verify year. I see the sma;llest 73 as a 23' 4400#dry.
I think your in way over your head, tow vehicle might work. you'll need a weight dis. hitch with anti-sway to put on highway at any speed over 35? Get inside and take a look, what are you waiting for? Hack away the growth and check the tires & running gear. This may be a job for a dedicated restorer, not a money maker as a quick flip; my guess. If it looks like too much work, be a nice guy and post it up on Tom's site, so someone can bring it back to life! Don
Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 02:36 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
arcata , California
the trailer isnt currently in any growth that picture is from the owner and isnt even from the lot where it is

its got clearly visible tires and has been washed since that picture.

no propane tanks though.

it could be over my head. if the trailer isnt ready to tow right now, its over my head. it would just be frustrating for me.

Im not sure how to legally make it mine without a title. I have to look into some proof that he owns it, and the write out a bill of sale.

the owner isnt answering a lot of questions for me.

it could be a 23 foot and misadvertised. its in a storage lot that is changing ownership

theres 3 airstream type trailers in the lot so i was confused at first. they are all the same length. the one it is is the nicest looking one. another of them is for sale i couldnt see for how much.

If the deal is not doable for me, i will forward the sellers information to someone. If someone wants, I can buy it and hold it even but Id charge..... $300( unknown amount guess) to actually move it. or even more to transfer the ownership and then take on a storage rent in the lot, Id need something really serious about that.

interior pictures and current ones will come, but i work so its hard. I can see it everyday from the lot its not far from me.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:59 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Vintage Trailers & Wooden Boats

A friend once told me, "My boat is a hole in the water surrounded by wood, into which I throw money."

If you want to really restore an old trailer you've got to be prepared to spend some very serious money, or do it yourself and spend some very serious sweat equity.

When I was looking, I was attracted to vintage, but reality reared it's ugly head and I realized I didn't have the time or energy... or patience to six or eight months before I had it safe to live in (floor, electrical, plumbing & propane systems fixed) and another two years to finish the cosmetic repairs. I could afford to buy new (ouch, a stretch but, I could.)

The RIGHT choice for me was a new unit.

I really think that it's hard to restore these trailers and make money when you sell them, but you can certainly get a lot bigger payoff if you restore it properly. People who do poor repairs - replacing gas/electric refrigerators with cheap dorm fridges, repairing plumbing leaks with garden hoses and clamps, etc. can do far more damage than good and turn a project trailer into a "strip it for parts and send the rest to the crusher" trailer.

At $750 you could probably come close to breaking even if you sold it for scrap, but you'd break the hearts of many vintage restorers. You could probably turn around and sell it on ebay for $1000 to $1200 as is.

They don't call these old trailers "PROJECT Trailers" for no reason. If you don't have the time or a place to work on the trailer, and aren't able to spend money to properly repair the systems in the trailer - I say pass on it.

Someday the "right one" will fall in your lap.

Paula
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 03:09 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
arcata , California
ya thats a thought i had to calculate, because i actually used to work for a metal recycling company.

just the consumer value of the aluminum, what you can sell it for off the street, is at least 1.50 a pound for scrap. if the trailer weighs like 4000 pounds, at least 1000 of that is aluminum isnt it? I mean isnt it realistic to think that the aluminum itself is worth 1500?

in breaking news, the trailer is towable immediately according to the seller, it was last towed 3 years ago though.

the rent is overdue so getting in to look at it closer is going to be a project im going to try and take on.

if the project is just rv fixtures, ill take it on. if its ready to roll Im not afraid of that. on the other hand if it could get stranded im not ready to take it on.

replacing a whole floor, I dont know. in fact i know i cant looking at pictures, cant take it apart and put it on stands or anything like that. something i might try is a new floor cut around the interior and put it on top.

all thoughts are greatly appreciated. I realize some of this is advice for me personally and you all dont know me that well.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:35 PM   #26
Craftsman

What ever you think you'll spend on a restoration, double it and then add a third. That should get it close to finished. Then for the next couple of years you can work on the details.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:13 PM   #27
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamar
. . . just the consumer value of the aluminum, what you can sell it for off the street, is at least 1.50 a pound for scrap. .
stamar,

Forget the trailer. You can make a bigger pile of cash if you buy a load of new aluminum ingots at $2600 per MT, drive it back to your place and sell it for scrap at $1.50/lb.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 09:02 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

73 Streamline

I think I speak for a lot of forum members in saying
"Please take lots of pictures and video footage" You have some very creative ideas for the Streamline which I'd sure like to see documented. The real money maker here may be a video of the restoration, salvage, or transformation into a spaceship. Put me down for a copy!
Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 11:46 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
arcata , California
heh well that round of comments had some messages that are hard to decipher

um a metric ton is what, 2000 pounds? what is the value of scrap metal in a 23 foot trailer am i incorrect and you have the correct information? thanks

Im going to go look at it tommorow.

inside the trailer there is supposed to be a 'bunch of junk' storage or what have you so I dont know if pictures are going to look good.

Id love to restore it. for living in it for myself, I wouldnt invest a lot in any rv type fixtures such as a water heater or anything. if the oven works id hook propane to it to make coffee. im a bachelor and i dont even cook.

for function the trailer is too large for my needs, too large for my vehicle

i would choose a 16 foot. id rather have something that fits in a single parking spot.

this one caught my eye because of its quality and potential value.

maybe its not for me. maybe its not such a steal. I heard some of you express interest but most of you dont really seem to think of it as a once in a lifetime type of thing. are there trailers like this on the market for 750 or less all the time? what do you think of its looks, wouldnt you call that pretty nice?

when i looked over this forum i see airstreams in basically wreck condition going for 1000 at least

each of you has different value you might put on it. but does it sound like something i should just pass up?

also I must add thanks for refering me to other forums but the old trailer net and tom patterson forums seem to be entirely dead.
Old 05-20-2006, 12:43 AM   #30
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
arcata , California
i have pretty much decided not to get it, although i havent seen it close up yet.

my email is stamar@gmail.com if anyone wants to try to contact the seller

thank you all for your help.

i really just couldnt own a trailer of this size regardless of cost, and couldnt afford the loss if it damaged my vehicle or became stranded and i lost it for nothing.
Old 05-20-2006, 12:43 AM   #31
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
arcata , California
i have pretty much decided not to get it, although i havent seen it close up yet.

my email is stamar@gmail.com if anyone wants to try to contact the seller

thank you all for your help.

i really just couldnt own a trailer of this size regardless of cost, and couldnt afford the loss if it damaged my vehicle or became stranded and i lost it for nothing.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:41 AM   #32
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
arcata , California
I think this trailer has been sold. not 100% sure but its at least not in the same place in the lot.
Old 05-23-2006, 03:45 PM   #33
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
arcata , California
well its still for sale and the price is now cheap
http://humboldt.craigslist.org/car/163947542.html
Old 05-23-2006, 08:45 PM   #34
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
arcata , California
well i went to look at it

whats really strange is that the rv storage lot has 3 airstream type trailers.

2 streamlines and 1 silver streak.

all 3 silver and gold, and around the same length. not exactly the same at all

this was the worst one. the other two are rolling and nice.

those pictures are current, its in a big blackberry outgrowth.

2 flat tires on the drivers side. hitch looks like it might work but the jack part is non existant. its up on a car jack. no moving this thing. rusty looking wheels.

only investment in it is in paying 44$ a month in rent while you figure out if you can get it moving. even thats not bad, i pay 30 for a storage locker and this would be larger, i could move all my stuff in it.

10 years expired oregon plates. no idea how much it would cost to make legal, but figure $200. I mean it goes back 6 years they want you to pay, thatll be $100, maybe theres a ticket or 2. thats an estimate from nowhere im adding. new cali plates.

interior well, I might go back tommorow and take pictures.

All the walls and storage rooms are there. refigerator and stove is there, even another stove that fits in the same place, but its rusted bad i assume its the bad one.
mold on almost all the wallpaper. quite dirty with debris.

exterior is as the picture but looks worse in real life. not a dent on it though and all windows work.

the lot attendant said the seller would take $300. Its a no sale for me even all things considered. 0 and a trailer as storage locker for $44 i would get close to doing, and then project of seeing if i could get it rolling. I mean, i didnt look but all the brakes must be rusted seized. Its claimed not to have moved for 3 years, but i believe the 10 year tags tell a better story.

what do you all think has to be done to a trailer that hasnt moved for 10 years? and what do you think it would cost?