Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2010, 08:13 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Calgary , Alberta
Travelux Trailer Questions

For those who have worked on Canadian 1966 through late 70's era Travelux trailers what problems have been encountered with components such as frame, traveling gear and axles, wooden floor, external water leaks from riveted joints, windows, etc. Thanks.
ken4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:53 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

Calgary , Alberta
Here's a photo of a locally available 1969 Travelux that I'm interested in although I haven't had a close look at it yet.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:40 AM   #3
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
That is very cute. I would imagine that problems would be similar to an airstream of that vintage.

Worn axles, dying appliances, floor and frame issues caused by leaks. All are fixable if you have the cash or inclination. I would be especially concerned about any body damage as I'm not sure about availability of replacement parts.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 10:50 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Calgary , Alberta
Thanks Janet, from the following Airforum Pdf file it looks like this trailer is probably the smaller T-25 model and I like that it has tandem axles.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/atta...9&d=1139979038

Here's another photo which shows that the owner has probably polished out some scratches on the front corners but I don't see many rock dings or jacknife damage.

We've had a lot of rain over the last few weeks so I imagine that interior leaks might be apparent but is there a better way to check for outer shell and window leaks. Sorry for the newbie question, I haven't owned a trailer or camper for decades but might get into this as a summer project for the grandchildren.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:15 AM   #5

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
I like the looks of that rig.

Pressure testing can be performed to check for leaks in shell seam, penetrations, and in/around windows.

Here's a recent thread on the subject.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...light=pressure

Steve (Airstream Forums - View Profile: soldiermedic) may be able to answer any questions on the subject you may have.

Regards,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 11:45 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Calgary , Alberta
Thanks Kevin, looks like a good method to find shell leaks. Another thing I like about the exterior is that anywhere the belly pan shows on photos it looks to be intact. Here are a few photos of the interior that the seller posted, the stove appears to be missing, he says that the vinyl floor is fairly new and the bright white walls and ceiling may indicate repainting, maybe done to hide water stains or other damages? This thread about another similar Travelux shows considerably more wood grain throughout, the cushion covers look original though ;

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368...ing-63844.html

Old 06-04-2010, 09:37 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
red deer , Alberta
I actually bought this trailer yesterday...its actually quite nice, but will be going thru a complete reno...
canadaxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:42 AM   #8

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaxp View Post
I actually bought this trailer yesterday...its actually quite nice, but will be going thru a complete reno...

Congrats and Welcome,

A unique rig. Keep us updated on your reno.

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:48 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
red deer , Alberta
Thank you...I will. We wanted something unique, that nobody else had. I think we found it.

I do have a question for anyone in the know...

VIN number location? I will throw on some work gear and start looking, but a clue may make the task less tedious..Thanks
Old 06-04-2010, 03:41 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
red deer , Alberta
I looked in all the normal spots, no luck. If I knew what I was looking for, a number plate riveted, or stamped in the tongue, etc..
Old 06-04-2010, 08:04 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Calgary , Alberta
Hi Canadaxp,

nice find at an excellent price. Hope you don't mind that I put up some initial photos to the project, look forward to seeing more of how the rig gets rebuilt.

Best regards, Ken
Old 06-04-2010, 09:07 PM   #12
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
I have a Travelux and have done a little research on the brand. They are a sturdy well made trailer. Similar to an Avion in overall design, made of aluminum with steel frame and plywood floor. The floor can rot like an Airstream but the frame is quite deep and strong.

All the appliances, running gear etc are standard off the shelf brands. Kelsey wheels and brakes, Atam axles and leaf spring suspension, Bargman lights, Dometic fridge, Bowen water heater, Peters and Russell water pressure pump, Suburban furnace. Black tank is fibreglass made by Travelux. There is no gray tank. When using the shower or sink you are supposed to remove the plug from the terminal valve. Either have a campground hookup or separate "blue tank".

It should be easier to restore than an Airstream except for the rarity of support and information. The interior is simpler and all parts are either standard or can be made with simple tools. If you do a search on this site for Travelux info you will find most of what is available on the net.

I have never seen one with the blue trim like yours has. It appears to be factory original, I just never saw one with that configuration or design.

Interior is made of vinyl covered aluminum. The white finish is how it comes from the factory although yours may have been repainted. The factory recommends cleaning the vinyl with a damp cloth and mild soap or detergent.

Good luck with your new trailer. Nice to see another Travelux.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:42 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Calgary , Alberta
There's another early fairly good condition Travelux for sale in Calgary which is probably from between 1966 to 1968, as the 21' - 25' units that I've seen from later than 68 had tandem axles. This one also has the tear drop shaped marker lights close to the top of the front and rear windows which I think were changed to small square lamps in about 1973.

I'm not interested in the trailer as I would prefer a tandem, but it may work for some, maybe parked as an office.

NEED NEW HOME FOR 22 ft AIRSTREAM TYPE TRAILOR - Calgary Travel Trailers, Campers For Sale - Kijiji Calgary

Old 06-05-2010, 10:21 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaxp View Post
I do have a question for anyone in the know...

VIN number location? I will throw on some work gear and start looking, but a clue may make the task less tedious..Thanks
From a Travelux history page this 1978 model had the VIN on a sticker which appears to be placed somewhere on the body.

travelux [DokuWiki]

Old 06-08-2010, 03:05 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Edmonton , Alberta
Nice looking trailer you have there.
My trailer leaks pretty badly around the windows front and rear, where they meet the thirteen end panels. Since they rolled the edges of those panels, there is a gap where the top of the window can't sit perfectly flush. Bad design flaw.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 03:39 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
red deer , Alberta
Good thing I just go home when it rains then...LOL

I am just getting into the polishing of it now. Its not that bad once you see a finished panel and it motivates you.

Anyone know how much it is to get the propane tanks recertified? These are stamped 2-69, so I wouldnt mind keeping them.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:16 PM   #17

Cobourg , Ontario
A large propane dealer can pressure test your tanks and install new valves. Cost is usually around $35 per tank.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:51 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
red deer , Alberta
I have to say...I have learned a lot about polishing. Polishing off ancient burnt on clear coat to be exact.LOL

Hopefully another week or so and I will be onto the interior. Sorry for the poor quality...its a phone pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00166-20100627-1144.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	264.6 KB
ID:	105849  
Old 06-29-2010, 03:29 PM   #19

Cobourg , Ontario
You may have the only polished Travelux in the world. At least, I've never seen another one and it seems all Travelux owners post here sooner or later LOL.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:27 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
red deer , Alberta
You might be right...now onto the roof...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shiny.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	272.8 KB
ID:	106002