Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-18-2010, 12:26 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
red deer , Alberta
Havent touched the trailer in a month, too busy in summer. Tucked away beside garage waiting for the interior reno. Notice I did my best to save the good sam club decal. Not sure how old it is...
The original Travelux decals were rough, so I am having new ones made.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	parked.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	226.3 KB
ID:	108975  
canadaxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:34 PM   #22
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
How much would it cost for a set of those decals? Could you have an extra set made? Are they same as stock? What color? I would like to buy a set for my 72 Princess.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:03 PM   #23
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaxp View Post
Havent touched the trailer in a month, too busy in summer. Tucked away beside garage waiting for the interior reno. Notice I did my best to save the good sam club decal. Not sure how old it is...
The original Travelux decals were rough, so I am having new ones made.
Who are you getting to do the decals, I have used Stan at CSS in Red Deer for some work I had done on one of my trucks about five years ago, they are still good.
I remember this being for sale and debating whether to go for it or not. In the end I had my heart set on the Argosy I now have.
I'd really like to meet up (I live out by Eckville) and trade stories sometime.
Cheers for now

Bex

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:03 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
red deer , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganaraska View Post
How much would it cost for a set of those decals? Could you have an extra set made? Are they same as stock? What color? I would like to buy a set for my 72 Princess.
They wont cost much...I will get a price. There are two different travelux logos, which one did you need?
Old 08-20-2010, 09:10 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
red deer , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bex View Post
Who are you getting to do the decals, I have used Stan at CSS in Red Deer for some work I had done on one of my trucks about five years ago, they are still good.
I remember this being for sale and debating whether to go for it or not. In the end I had my heart set on the Argosy I now have.
I'd really like to meet up (I live out by Eckville) and trade stories sometime.
Cheers for now

Bex
I have a friend who owns a decal shop, and I work next door to another. I'm not sure which I will get to do it. The price is right either way.

My daughter liked the painted Argosy's, only because she figured we could paint it her colors.LOL.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:21 AM   #26

Cobourg , Ontario
I need the ones that go above the windows on my 1972 model. They are 15" by 4 3/4" with the words "Travelux Made in Canada" in blue on a white background, printed on aluminum foil.

If you are getting some made I thought it would be easy to get extra but if it is a hassle I can get new ones made locally so it's not a big deal.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:25 PM   #27
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Sure admire that . . and yes, it is HIGHLY reminiscent of a contemporary Avion! Any and all pictures will be studied!
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:03 AM   #28
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Do these trailers have the same type suspension as Airstream and Argosy? Are the torsion bar axles?

Bex

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Old 09-03-2010, 02:54 PM   #29

Cobourg , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bex View Post
Do these trailers have the same type suspension as Airstream and Argosy? Are the torsion bar axles?

Bex
They use Atam axles, leaf springs and Kelsey Hayes brakes. Wheels are stamped steel 14", tires H78 14, 5 bolt 4 1/2" bolt pattern same as old Ford and Dodge rear drive cars, pickups and vans. I plan to replace mine with 15" because the H78 14 tires are not available and a 15" light truck or trailer tire is closest to the right size.

Same suspension was used on many other brands of trailer. This style of axle and spring suspension are still being made and used on millions of trailers.

About the only thing that would be prone to wearing out would be the brakes and wheel bearings. Complete new brake assemblies are available at reasonable cost, or you could replace the whole axle. They are a standard part that just bolts on. Any trailer dealer should be able to furnish suitable replacements.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:59 PM   #30
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Sounds like it's probably a much more economic option than the Airstreams (if needs replaced). Is it? I ask because I could find any info online for Atam Axles
Cheers

Bex
Old 09-05-2010, 01:43 PM   #31

Cobourg , Ontario
When it comes to finding parts and accessories it is often easier when you have a low production trailer than a high production trailer.

Here is the reason. A small company like Travelux was forced to buy standard off the shelf parts, accessories, appliances etc. or, if they made something, it had to be done with simple tools in such a way that you could duplicate it at home in your garage.

A big company like Winnebago or Airstream had a lot more choices. They could get a supplier to tool up a special part or appliance just for them because they were buying them by the thousands. They could also afford special dies, presses, tooling etc to manufacture special parts.

10, 20 or more years later the supply of these special parts has dried up. They were only ever available from the manufacturer and when he runs out that's it.

On the other hand, the standard off the shelf stuff may still be in production. Or if not, it was made in such mass quantities for so many different trailers that it is not hard to find a replacement.

Another thing that happens when a parts manufacturer changes models, they make sure the new one fits in the same space as the old one. This is to make it easier to sell the new model to their customers who do not have to tear up all their blueprints and redesign their trailers for the new appliance. But it is also very handy if you buy a brand new stove for your 30 year old trailer and it fits like a glove.

The big manufacturer can specify some odd size or shape of appliance and get them made special. This gives the buyer an exclusive feature when the trailer is new, but a big headache when the appliance wears out.

So, when it comes to repairs or restoration you may find a low production trailer easier than the most popular ones.

By the way I never heard of Atam axles either but they look like a standard straight axle made of round tubing. Any trailer dealer should be able to measure them for size and order replacements.

The axles themselves don't wear out but you might need new brakes or bearings. These too are standard parts. The bearings can be bought for a few dollars at any bearing supply shop. Look in the yellow pages, there are bearing shops in the industrial section of any city. Take them your old bearings and seals and they will read off the part numbers and probably have the new ones in stock.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:59 PM   #32

Cobourg , Ontario
How to measure an axle video. What you need to know to order new axles. You can see in the video, that the new axles made today are the same as Travelux used in the sixties.

Trailer Tips & Safety Guidlelines From A to Z - Trailer Canada
Old 09-07-2010, 10:19 AM   #33

Cobourg , Ontario
The standard type leaf spring suspension is cheap, reliable, long lived and easy to repair and easy to find parts for.

The advantage of the trailing arm type used by Airstream is a smoother ride and better handling on the road, for example, more stable in crosswinds or when being passed by a big truck.

The leaf spring type can be improved by adding Moride rubber mounts, by cleaning the rust out of the springs and installing inter leaf sliders and possibly adding shock absorbers. But for most normal use it's fine as is.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:08 PM   #34

Currently Looking...
Cambridge , Ontario
Just like to add that if anyone knows of a trailer for sale in Southern Ontario under 3500 lbs, feel free to post to me!!!!

Natalie
echomonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:52 PM   #35
x

XXXX , XXXX
Natalie it`s too bad your TV limit is 3500 because I have a 73 Sovereign weighing 5850 for sale and am only 2 hrs away from you.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:32 AM   #36

Cobourg , Ontario
I don't think you will find an aluminum trailer that light unless it is an old Bambi. Travelux specs their 25 foot models at 4500 pounds.

Fibreglass trailers like Boler and Trillium are that light or lighter and so are the smaller canned ham or white box style trailers. The newest models are much heavier length for length, than those 30 or 40 years old.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:28 AM   #37

Currently Looking...
Cambridge , Ontario
I know...... I think I'm going to have to sweet-talk my husband into a bigger tow vehicle

Natalie
echomonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 09:33 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
red deer , Alberta
We decided it was time to get at the interior. Refinished all the cabinet doors last week and repainted walls today. Flooring will be tomorrow.

I will take a painted pic tomorrow if I remember. Here is a pic today before we painted, and a pic of the cabinets before we started... Blackberry pic, not the greatest.LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cabinet.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	225.7 KB
ID:	115163   Click image for larger version

Name:	before.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	115164  

Old 11-14-2010, 07:23 AM   #39
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Looking forward to seeing the results
Are you brush painting?
I have been using that Krylon plastic paint for our endcaps (on the Argosy) but I have found various spots where it just does not take. Its like there is grease there or something, but I re-sand it and re-spray and the same thing happened. Otherwise the finish is awesome.

Bex

Old 11-14-2010, 02:42 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
red deer , Alberta
Brush and roller on the inside. We kept as much natural wood as possible. It really stands out.

Mine was painted inside already, so we just went with an Aura paint from Benjamin Moore. Very nice to use.