Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-25-2007, 09:02 AM   #1
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
The return of the Argosy.....

I seem to recall rumors that the Argosy line may return. I thought that was interesting, because the Argosy was a great RV that I thought matched the spirit of Airstream.

I was on the Airstream site yesterday and noticed that in their t-shirt section of their store, they now have an Argosy t-shirt.

Not that a t-shirt indicates a direction, but could there be some truth to the rumors of a comeback of the Argosy line?
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 09:36 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Thanks for the info.. I'm not certain I want the Argosy to return, kind of stuck on the classic thing. I love my Argosy and wonder if Airstream can do them justice today. I ordered the t-shirt to wear when camping in my Twink. Thanks again for letting us know Airstream has at last remembered that they once made a great cream trailer.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 09:55 AM   #3

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I guess it's always possible that there could be some pricing side that would allow the Argosy to sell at a reduced cost. I'm just wondering if they could build a non aluminum version of an Airstream. We know that the endcaps weren't aluminum, but I think the side panels were. The end caps could be formed in fiberglass. Not sure what componet would be used for the side panels.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 10:07 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
return...

you know, it wouldn't be too hard to form the whole thing out of fiberglass - heaven knows THOR has the ability to do it... think SOB with an Argosy shape. I'd like to see one (fiberglass) with COLOR other than white, with the CCD interior for about 20K less than the Airstreams. I'd buy one! A soft yellow, or copper or blue would be cool! Front wrap around windows would be a must!

Anybody from the factory listening?
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 10:26 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
Argosy Motor Home

Nah - They wouldn't - Would they? - You think? - Long live the rummer mill.
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 10:51 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
They paint airplanes, don’t they?

Marc,

I’ve been learning, on my main thread and now here, that you and I share a design aesthetic.

I’d like to see coloured Airstreams too. They paint airplanes, don’t they?

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 11:06 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Yes Sergei - we DO think alike. I wish I was closer, I'd love to come over and talk Argosy's for a while! Yes, colors would be fun!

David - I think we're thinking Argosy trailers here. : >
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 12:06 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
Wink

Yup, I know, it's ok. I just saw the thread and was interested as I recently sold a 1978 27' bunk option Argosy. It was pretty cool and I like argosys.

The reason I brought up the MoHo question is because of the big flap over Airstream thinking of re-badging Plastic SOB MoHo's. Many of Airstream's new ideas showed up on the Argosy before incorporating the feature on Airstreams including The first mohos'

I'll butt out now!
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 01:17 PM   #9
Certifiable

. , .
It'll never happen ...

An Argosy painted something other than white? With a CCD interior? Who would want that?
mistral blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 02:50 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
FIBERGLASS? Please not that!
Old 03-25-2007, 03:35 PM   #11
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Thumbs up Bring it on back....

Quote:
Originally Posted by juel
FIBERGLASS? Please not that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy
I'd like to see one (fiberglass).....for about 20K less than the Airstreams. I'd buy one!
Yes, Yes, Yes!!! Bring it on. Who can realistically afford a new Airstream? Airstream needs to recall what made the Argosy line popular and go retro with a contemporary twist If they put me in the focus group I would suggest a budget model, all fiberglass or whatever is economical, beginning in a Bambi size or smaller for less than 15k. A return to ultra-light weight is key too.

I think that Argosys could fly again...

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 03:49 PM   #12
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistral blue
An Argosy painted something other than white? With a CCD interior? Who would want that?
Uuuuhhhhh.......
Old 03-25-2007, 04:30 PM   #13
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Regardless of materials, my take would be if the unit carried the spirit of what Argosy was about, then I could see the Argosy line being a runaway success. The basecamp would be pale in comparision. Why, well for starters, the Argosy line was lighter than the Airstreams of their day. Second, it was affordable, in a general sense. Third, it could further bridge the gap between the folks want a fully functioning trailer, but don't want to go out and buy a Mack truck to tow it and don't want to shell out the high end bucks or don't have the high end bucks for an Airstream.

I think if they did it and followed the basics of what it was, I can't see it being any less than spectacular.

At any rate, I found it interesting that the factory had a t-shirt with the Argosy name on it.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 04:44 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Can you make the rounded fiberglass, or would it have to be flat roofed and leaking? By the way, what would be wrong with trying to build a new Argosy like my 78? It's light and has held up beautifully all these years. Why would you have to go with fiberglass? This was a great trailer in 78 and is a great trailer now. Could they make one like this now? Would it be cheaper than the Airstream. I know it would be lighter and could be towed without the Mac truck purchase.
Old 03-25-2007, 04:59 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
At the January IBT rally Larry Huttle spoke for Airstream and said there was plans to bring in a new line of Airstreams that would be 20% less expensive and 20% less weight. (I hope I got the percentage right, please correct me if I am wrong.)

However I found an old post on the internet about Base Camps and that post said that the Base Camps were originally supposed to list for much less than they ended up listing at. I can not vouche for the accuracy of that pot, but I did come across it. Also we all know that the new Classic motorhome for the anniversary year did not materialize so maybe a matter of actually just waiting to see...

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 07:03 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
New Materials...............

.................are being used in the RV industry every day. I have friends that are major suppliers to the RV OEMs and they are experimenting with urethane end caps and side walls, carbon fiber re-inforcement areas, super light and strong honeycomb sheet goods (for flooring where plywood is now being used) and a bunch of still secret proprietary stuff.

If Airstream picks up on any of this new high-tech stuff, the next generation of Argosies (or whatever they call them) will be VERY interesting!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 07:16 PM   #17
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by juel
Can you make the rounded fiberglass, or would it have to be flat roofed and leaking?
Sure can, take a look at the Casitas
Quote:
By the way, what would be wrong with trying to build a new Argosy like my 78? It's light and has held up beautifully all these years. Why would you have to go with fiberglass?
Costs...sheet metal costs (and general material costs) have been going thru the roof in the past several years, we have seen sheet stainless increase almost 400% in the past 3 years. Also FWIW Thor/Airstream is only in the business of making money, if they can't show a profit on the bottom line they are toast. And I suspect that Airstream is the current golden goose at Thor.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 07:45 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Argosy, That's it.

Hi, I suggested that Airstream make an inexpensive, light weight, strippo trailer. Never thought that this could be the next Argosy. My suggestion was to leave out the Microwave oven, air conditioner, gas oven, stereo system Etc. and have the trailer set-up and pre-wired so these options could be added later.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 07:46 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
If there were to be a trailer in the iconic Airstream/Argosy shape, molded inside and out - even the furniture - and using other newer, better ideas such as an aluminum or galvanized frame, composits and sandwich board flooring, it could be a runaway hit.

New people with new ideas like this have to overcome the distribution problem to succeed. Companies like THOR have the distribution but they have to overcome inertia and complacency.

In the 1970’s, the Theatre de la Ville in the 4th arrondiesment in Paris had a very hip café built entirely with molded fiberglass and plastics. Seating, banquettes, bar – everything.

It was very cool.

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 07:51 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
My suggestion would be an Argosy line made of two piece fiberglass shells to compete with Casita and Scamp (and Bigfoot). I've heard Casita can't make them fast enough. That would bring the cost down and keep them lightweight. Thor could then compete in that line of business also where right now they don't have a presense.
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote