Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-30-2013, 10:44 PM   #1
Streamline Owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Indianapolis , Indiana
Streamline Knowledgebase Request

Okay, the trailer is in the driveway and it's crunch time. Before I hang it up for the night here are my urgent requests - either direct me to the conversations I haven't found when I searched or tell me you just lucked across the information yesterday and haven't yet posted it :batting eyelashes - darn that sawdust: or maybe you just have pictures you think might help.

I have to redo the electrical and plumbing systems in my 1968 Streamline Empress.

Anecdotes, schematics, pictures, horror stories - shoot, anything at this stage would be appreciated!

Many thanks,
Julianne
Nolavalkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:28 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Anchorage , Alaska
We totally redid the fresh water plumbing, VERY easy, most of it very accessible, under the bed. No experience with electrical, other than changing out the outlets (which is the same as a house, easy) for a cleaner look.
StreamlineAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolavalkyrie View Post
Okay, the trailer is in the driveway and it's crunch time. Before I hang it up for the night here are my urgent requests - either direct me to the conversations I haven't found when I searched or tell me you just lucked across the information yesterday and haven't yet posted it :batting eyelashes - darn that sawdust: or maybe you just have pictures you think might help.

I have to redo the electrical and plumbing systems in my 1968 Streamline Empress.

Anecdotes, schematics, pictures, horror stories - shoot, anything at this stage would be appreciated!

Many thanks,
Julianne
Julianne, here is a site which may help.

Toms' Web Page

Another

http://www.tincantourists.com/wiki/d...?id=streamline

If I were you I would start out by tracing the existing systems and get a diagram down on paper. Plumbing and water should be easy electrical you may need a meter and some help. I saw the pictures you posted and you have a lot of floor rot. All the appliances should be replaced, I have seen 2 trailers blowup because of leaking propane and one was owned by a fire chief. Looking at your tires I would say they have to be replaced and if they are on split rims the rims also. No matter what the tires look like you need to get the date code off of the tires and see how old they are, anything older than 7 years are putting yourself at risk, I replace mine at 5 years. Brakes have to be rebuilt and your axles look low, not knowing anything about your trailers suspension maybe someone else can address that issue. You will have to use google to search out all the information you can on your trailer. You have a lot of trailer and a big project just to make is safe to tow. If you review some of the restoration projects here you will see many take several years even when done by experienced rebuilders.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:58 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Anchorage , Alaska
Streamline suspension is easy, there isn't much. Make sure the leaf springs aren't broken and there is one little shock on each side. A worn out shock, in my opinion, isn't dangerous, but will make the ride a little rougher for your stuff.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:07 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Anchorage , Alaska
Oh yes, one thing that is dangerous, is bad wheel bearings! Easy to repack on these! Streamlines, from what I hear, were build a little hardier than other brands and the electrical was built to code at the time. Not to say it shouldn't be redone...
Old 05-31-2013, 06:14 PM   #6
Streamline Owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Indianapolis , Indiana
I want to thank y'all for the responses. We are already talking about redoing the wiring and just mapping it as we go so I have a schematic.

Yes, the tires are on split rims. That much I do know as I have read (very little) about them.

I know that this is a huge project, however, I just don't have the time for this to be a drawn out project. This is my home! The sooner I can live in her, the better. She doesn't have to be pretty, she does have to be functional. Pretty I can take care of later. Right now I need a sound foundation, safety in towing, dry interior, etc. if my sink is a bucket with PVC plumbing in a wooden frame - who cares? That's cosmetic. I can buy a sink. If you get my meaning... I won't always have access to this great workshop, or my stepdad's help.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:21 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Anchorage , Alaska
I got my Streamline livable in 2 weeks, it will be fine!
Old 05-31-2013, 06:26 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Anchorage , Alaska
Oh, by the way, split rims are perfectly functional, just very dangerous for a person changing the tire, from my understanding.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:58 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Portland , Oregon
New rims are cheap. I will send a few links. We just bought Nexen tires for ours. Our wheels had been replaced already.

When you repack your bearings be careful with the seals as you might need to reuse them. I still haven't found the right size so I just checked ours and left them for now.

Plumbing isn't hard if you just replace it all with Pex.

Wiring is harder. What's wroong with yours? You should have 2 systems, one 120V, one 12V. They are seperate at least on ours.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:06 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 24
1977 Argosy 28
Vintage Kin Owner
Darrington , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolavalkyrie View Post
I want to thank y'all for the responses. We are already talking about redoing the wiring and just mapping it as we go so I have a schematic.

Yes, the tires are on split rims. That much I do know as I have read (very little) about them.

I know that this is a huge project, however, I just don't have the time for this to be a drawn out project. This is my home! The sooner I can live in her, the better. She doesn't have to be pretty, she does have to be functional. Pretty I can take care of later. Right now I need a sound foundation, safety in towing, dry interior, etc. if my sink is a bucket with PVC plumbing in a wooden frame - who cares? That's cosmetic. I can buy a sink. If you get my meaning... I won't always have access to this great workshop, or my stepdad's help.

Did you map your system? If not I have a manual for a 1971 31' Crown Imperial. They can't be that different. I can scan and send.
buffaloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:20 AM   #11
Streamline Owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Indianapolis , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloman View Post

Did you map your system? If not I have a manual for a 1971 31' Crown Imperial. They can't be that different. I can scan and send.
If you could scan and send a copy that would be most appreciated. We changed out the converter and fuse box but still haven't mapped the system.

It's frustrating as I have dead switches I can't figure out. Fans that now work with new fuses, but from odd switches. Your basic electrical confusion.

Thanks much,
Julianne
Old 08-02-2013, 10:09 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 24
1977 Argosy 28
Vintage Kin Owner
Darrington , Washington
I will be able to get to a scanner on Monday so I can send you several wiring diagrams. They will be 1)7-71 Diagram 1, Typical wiring plan 110 V system,2) Typical wiring plan 12V system, 3)Auto-trailer 12 v system negative to Ground. 4)Installation - 7600 Panel w 6000 battery charger & 6010 power supply. Since the files will be large, maybe you should send me a direct email address. My address is tretmk@gmail,com.

One other thing. I have had to trace wires for a house remodel. I used a EXTECH Continuity tester Pro model CT20. It works well if you can get to both ends of a system. I bought it at Lowes a few years ago, They don't stock them now in my area but you can search on the web , They are inexpensive, $30 or so. and will save you hours of work. they would work on both your 110 and 12 systems. REMEMBER TO KEEP THE POWER OFF WHEN YOU USE IT. POWER WILL BLOW THE INSTRUMENT!! I have done that several times and the company has sent me free replacements. They really provide good service . Maybe you can share pictures of your trailer too.

Regards

Tom
buffaloman is offline   Reply With Quote