Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-07-2004, 03:52 PM   #1

Streamline?

WOW!

I feel so loved! Thanks for all your responses and advice. I'm so glad I found this forum.

So, going with this spontaneity thing, a friend at work told me about two trailers on the side of the highway about 45 minutes from here. I went and checked them out and there is one that just blows me away, but it's not a Airstream, it's a Streamline. Does anyone know anything about these trailers? It's a 1959 and I believe it's 25 or 27ft. It's a little bit bigger than I was going for, but it is beautiful. He want's $8,000 o.b.o. I hope to be pulling it with a 1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer. The man said that these trailers are quite a bit lighter than the Airstreams, he had one of those there too, and that my Wagoneer could pull it. All the appliances are original, and it's in pretty good shape, and most importantly, it has these really cool fenders around the back lights.

What do ya'll think?
squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 04:07 PM   #2
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Danger, Will Robinson!!!!

Research, research, research! Find out EXACTLY what the weight of the trailer is, and what your Jeep is rated for. Read and re-read all of the 'stuff' on towing and towing equipment threads here. I've never had one, but the discussions here have been that the later model Jeeps (with the exception of the old Wagoneer body from the 70s & 80s) aren't the best tow vehicles.

As for the trailer itself, unless there's someone here who's familiar with Streamline, you're pretty much on your own. You can count on the fact that unless you're scouring RV graveyards, you won't find body parts. I can tell you that more than likely, the appliances and components will be some standard stuff, but you likely won't be able to get replacement parts for them because of age, unless they're stock parts that were coincidentally also used in Airstreams. I have no idea what it has for running gear or brakes, although if worst came to worst, those can be re-fabricated if necessary.

Do the routine checks for floor rot in the corners, under the bath, water heater, sinks etc. Make sure that you personally check out all of the appliances to ensure that they work. "They worked the last time we used it five years ago" doesn't mean they'll work today or tomorrow.

IMHO, I think $8k for an unrestored '59 ANYTHING is pretty steep, but recognize that's my opinion without seeing the trailer.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 06:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Tom Patterson (of VAC/VA List fame) has a link on his website for Streamlines...as a matter of fact he owns one. You may want to check out this link: Houston Chapter Streamline Royal Rovers

I agree with Roger:

1. $8000 sounds a bit steep unless it's 100% restored & in working order
2. A Jeep will have trouble pulling it at elevation...we had one and nothing but trouble with our 19' GlobeTrotter (search forum archives using "Jeep" as keyword)
3. Replacement parts will be harder to come by

Other than that...they ARE cool looking!

Shari

BTW Tom also has links for Silver Streak groups
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 10:43 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

I disagree with the "man" that said the Streamline is lighter than an Airstream. If two trailers are equal in length, then the weight difference between the Streamline and the Airstream will be negligible. I HAVE heard others say they prefer the Streamline over the Airstream because they have larger interior volumns due to a less aerodynamic design. Also, they often have lighter interior colours which makes them seem more bright and spacious inside. If I remember correctly, their aluminum exterior doesn't polish to a shine the way an Airstream does.

bbb
biggerbadbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 08:47 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

IMHO

The seller is just trying to unload it on a sucker (he thinks).
It may be lighter...5 or 6 punds thereabouts.

Your Jeep will move it, but not pull it. Unless you are just going to take it on short flat terrain journeys. (Drive slow).

Unless you are a very handy ENTHUSIAST (with a capital E) and posess Capital capital, and lots of time, don't buy the Streamline. Get an Airstream or an Avion.

Streamlines are beautiful and I'd love to have one myself, but there is no way to find the network and knowledge base, not to mention parts that Airstream can afford you.
Tom Patterson is the key to what little there is to be had on Streamlines and Silver Streaks....good luck!

Be so kind as to give us all the location.
jaco is offline   Reply With Quote