Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-06-2007, 05:37 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
McKinney , Texas
Silverstreak?

Anyone ever heard of a Silverstreak trailer? I saw one at a trailer park along I-75 in Plano between Parker and Spring Creek.
Krazyjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 05:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazyjohnny
Anyone ever heard of a Silverstreak trailer? I saw one at a trailer park along I-75 in Plano between Parker and Spring Creek.
This may help,

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ler-19972.html

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 06:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
They're nice trailers. I like Streamline even better. Both companies were founded by ex Airstream guys who wanted to invent an even better mousetrap.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Also Avions, Airfloats, and Spartans. The one I only one I ever only saw one of was an El Rey, made in California for only a few years I think. El Reys basicly had the same lines as Airstreams. The only other El Rey I ever heard of was a vintage camper motel park rental.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:55 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1954 25' Cruiser
1977 27' Overlander
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
A very good friend of mine's husband aquired one last year and gave it to her as a gift. He bid on it at an auction outside of Sacramento, CA and won. Only paid a few hundred bucks!

It is big, a 31 footer. It's in mint condition as it had been in a clean barn storage for years. It's a late 70s model. The interior is beautiful with original everything including a comphy dinette.

They have put it on their American River property and built a deck off the curbside entrance.

There are also several around the area that we live in Northern Nevada.
WALLY54 1954 Cruiser #11281
Buttercup 77 Overlander #17330
1990 345-LE MoHo Classic #7830
Air #
WALLY 54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 09:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
We had a 58 Silver Streak Chico 17' a few years ago. Nice little trailer ready to restore. Our neighbour is now up to his elbows redoing it. Nicely built, very Airstream'ish yet unique unto themselves in many ways, and they also had a neat and long history. They made a lot of big, heavy units starting mid 60's and the early ones were really neat.

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 01:54 PM   #7
Dire Wolf

2007 23' Safari SE
huntington beach , California
Love Em'

I've owned and restored both AS and SS and love them both, I am personally drawn to the SS. Both are great trailers but at different points in time you order chocolate and then later on vanilla. TomPatterson.com is the best site for info on these campers. Great luck with your and your travels.
mcrickc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 05:09 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
It is my impression that generally even though there are less of the other vintage aluminum makes around, and they certainly have their following, you can pick one up for less than an AS. This, apararently, does not have anything to do with quality or aesthetics. Just about everyone knows what an Airstream is. Less so for the other aluminum coaches. I would guess most Silverstreak afficianados got their feet wet with an AS.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:44 PM   #9
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
They were well built trailers. Most need work, but when done properly, they can last a second lifetime!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 06:35 AM   #10
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Silver Streak is a great trailer. My folks had theirs for nearly thirty years with few repairs needed. We just bought a 1983 Model 3411 Supreme from a couple near Houston. Outside of small jobs little has been needed and we're taking bids on new flooring and furniture. The storage space is incomparable, and access to "hidden" items (furnace, water pump, etc) may make some question "why" an Airstream. Craigslist was the source for finding over one dozen of them. The tompatterson site is the most informative. A couple who bought new and modded as they went along is found under PAWSTRAVEL; good pics.

Heavy, no. Our 34' went on the CAT Scale at 6,820# as delivered to us, I expect to see mid 7's once the upgrades are done. GVWR is 8,000#. I'm told by an Airstream dealer that the latest of those are grossing 9,000#. Towing without anti-sway showed little movement on some old tires and dead shocks in a 25-mile move. With replacements, even 35 mph quartering winds, anti-sway/WD hitch at 60-mph had little effect.

Fuel mileage behind our 3/4T DODGE RAM CTD is 12 mpg at 63 mph on secondary highways, and 14 on the Interstate.

SS only made a few hundred trailers per year and they stand up very well to all sorts of use. We're living in ours the next few years. Parts are not so easy to find (what is unique to the brand) and we may well buy a low-cost example as a parts bin.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 05:34 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
ocala , Florida
"Atlas mobile home museum" Put that in your isp/search.Lots of org. ads and some info 'bout "other" type travel trailers! Brian
wanderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 08:27 AM   #12
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Have now lived in ours for seven months straight (and about to buy a house in Corpus Christi, TX). One major repair to this 24 yr old trailer, but have spent money on many little things. A/C (seven years old) has run non-stop until about a week ago; furnace has been used several nights; plenty of cooking on stove & oven; etc, etc.

Had to replace bathroom floor where original toilet was leaking apparently over many years (carpet hid problem); but that was only a matter of removing one cabinet/divider wall, removing old floor and cutting new one to fit then simply re-installing cabinet.

Now, having added custom curtains, cork flooring and some desultory cleaning we have essentially a time capsule trailer; that is, one would think it only a few years old when examined on paper for maintenance and repairs.

The exterior aluminum (anodized) has weathered, and weather-stripping needs to be replaced. It also appears that I need to remove all nine windows and install new seals around them; THAT would be considered "major repair" (as would the three/four body panels that are dented, but I am unaware of replacement panels at present) . Also, I need to replace door hinges [a common enough problem] but that isn't urgent.

I'd say that it would be hard to go wrong with one of these or one of the pre-1986 Avions.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote