Old 08-16-2014, 08:29 AM   #41
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
redondo beach , California
it takes almost as long to post a picture than bucking 400 rivets

Forgot to mention I SCORED a Mint marvel fridge, Dixie stove still have the little short one too original mint counter top and matching dinette table, reupholstered cushions and the actual benches out of a 1952 Clipper I am working on in Santa Barbara for a member here

PLVMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:51 AM   #42
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Glendale , California
Hey John. Awesome work! 4 hours of your work look like 4 days for me! The belly pan ends on my CW are rough and bumpy to say the least. The previous owners put cinder blocks and wood underneath of the ends to stabilize the trailer. I contemplated replacing the belly pan ends but I decided it looked too daunting to pursue. Besides, looking up the skirt of anything 66 years old would probably look bumpy anyway! What do your table and benches look like? Any photos? I need to create a set of benches and a table for the dining area of my CW. I believe the space had a small table and folding chairs. If you have the original benches, I'd love to copy what you have if they would fit my trailer. Snap some photos of them and give me some general dimensions. I've included a pic from another trailer that shows benches and a table that I want to make for my trailer. As for my trailer, I've completed the outer shell work to get it water tight and will finish installing the floors today. Full interior painting will be done on Sept. 13 by a guy that paints trailers for a living. I'm sure I would have screwed up the paint job if I had attempted it solo. I can just imagine lots of runs coming off of the rivets and hose drag marks all over the walls and closets. What a nightmare! $1,300 to prep and paint all interior walls and parts with Imron. I need to find the right color. The nasty green isn't an option. I wonder who has the right color chip for "Desert Sand", one of the original colors for the trailer. OK John, got a floor to put in. Keep workin'!

chris hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:06 PM   #43
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
subfloor finished in 3/4 ACX(front and rear are stored away)and out of money CHECK
working this weekend and will insulate the floor and fit the shell back hopefully in the next two weeks someone stole a rim so now I am searching for a 5 on 5.5 rim with a big hole for the center of the hub
Old 09-02-2014, 09:35 PM   #44
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
YEAH long day but I got the shell down that was a really good time setting it alone
I am putting the skin back so I can lock the ribs and C channel down. Plenty of room for propane tanks I added 6-7 " John Los Angeles, CA
Old 09-02-2014, 10:04 PM   #45
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Glendale , California
Nice work solo John! I've been working on my CW solo all summer and wish I had someone to help me on so many occasions. Just keep swimming! I wish I had more tongue room for a propane tank like yours. I can put a tank on the tube but, I have the old screw jack that screws down towards the ground as you raise the trailer up. The handle would start hitting the tank as the trailer is raised in the front. I don't think this trailer ever had a tank on the tongue. No weld marks or any evidence of a permanent tank. Anyway, nice effort John. Chris
Old 09-05-2014, 03:53 PM   #46
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Once the ribs are set I am taking a break.
Old 09-07-2014, 06:29 PM   #47
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
thinking seriously about selling the trailer. This is impossible alone without help it just depresses me
Old 09-08-2014, 08:48 AM   #48
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Glendale , California
Hey John. I know the frustration. I've been solo since February on my CW. Keep in mind that you have done the most difficult part of the job. Sit back and analyze the situation. Once the floor is bolted to the outriggers, the other stuff is very solo doable. I finally accepted the fact that these trailers take a lot of time. Attention whores they are. Get in the right frame of mind and attack. You can do this. Just get the floor in and the belly installed. Then look at it. All solo work from there. Gitterdone!
Old 09-08-2014, 08:58 PM   #49
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Thanks Chris I realize this is not a weekend deal. I am OCD and want better than it was built. I did have a friend stop by and we attached one side of the trailer to the outriggers one more side. I also sanded and primed the ribs this time around I was looking around and saw aerowood and submariners threads and got fired up I will see this all the way through I might complain along the way I mean I will complain curse stomp my feet but will go back to it I am concerned about bucking the rivets that are right in your face. I need to get back up to Santa Barbara and keep the clipper up there moving along.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:36 PM   #50
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Glendale , California
One piece of the puzzle at a time John. You definitely have the skills! Keep the good work coming and keep the excitement up. If you look too far ahead, the task seems daunting. Compartmentalize each step and get each one done. Beer breaks in between might help. Sort of a little victory party. I've been partying all summer long! I'll post my progress soon. Lots of steps finished but many to go. Chris
Old 09-09-2014, 12:24 AM   #51
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
John,

I've got a couple of pipe frame restorations ahead of me, and I've been following your progress. Your work is inspirational. Don't give up the ship. If I didn't live in Boston, I'd be there to help in a heartbeat. Your project is an incredible learning opportunity for someone that you just haven't connected with yet. Perhaps you can post for assistance in the Airstream section where a lot more people might catch on. There has got to be a local Airstream chapter out in the L.A. area with a bunch of eager volunteers, or how about a local high school metal shop?

Stay in the game!!!!

Charly
streamquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:43 PM   #52
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Thanks to everyone posting here I have now attached the shell and frame. I used the original style that connect the rib to the outrigger and also added a bracket and bolt through the outrigger
Old 09-27-2014, 10:55 PM   #53
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Finally ripped into the interior ceiling and drilled a bunch of rivets on exterior panels. I am going to add c channel along the seam where there is none now and also add sealant between the panels there was none there. I plan on replacing the entire mid section and a rear panel on the exterior
Old 09-28-2014, 08:58 PM   #54
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
windows out along with a few hundred rivets
Old 09-29-2014, 09:19 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLVMB View Post
thinking seriously about selling the trailer. This is impossible alone without help it just depresses me
I hope you don't quit. I find your postings and journey thru the restoration fascinating. I've done car and boat restorations myself and think your detail and workmanship are excellent. Keep the faith.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:32 PM   #56
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Thanks, I have gone to far to turn back now. I am going to hire one or two guys from work to come help handle the panels.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:53 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
Hey John,

I'm still following your progress from the East Coast.
Your work is fantastic. Give yourself credit for all that you've accomplished.
Not to sound rude, but there aren't a lot of people with the balls to undertake such a project on their own! Battle onward!!!

Charly
streamquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 01:22 AM   #58
1 Rivet Member

Southern Orange County , California
WOW, your doing this alone AND in a alley at the beach.
Clecos are worth their weight in gold, also what are you using to trim out your pieces....Beverly shear?. I've done a few old cars but nothing on that scale size wise.

The Zenith trailer I looked at and posted pictures of is in Manhattan beach.
1oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:26 AM   #59
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
I would be happy to look at it. I am having the pieces cut or using BIG Tin snips
Old 09-30-2014, 09:24 PM   #60
1 Rivet Member

Southern Orange County , California
I think I might pass on the trailer in Manhattan Beach, if it's a wood frame it might be too damaged for me to want to tackle. The garage is full of tools/project cars, I need to get some cars done before I can take on a full resto (or even a semi resto). Do you know of anyone who might want it, the lady who owns it isn't really putting it in the right places to sell it. Pm me if you want the info.

Thanks for the offer to look at it.

BTW I like your name, I have of few of those tools.....another hobby is old tools/equipment.

1oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote