Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2007, 07:08 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Los Angeles , Massachusetts
Talking Silver Streak - Need Your Thoughts

Hi Everyone,

I'm never sure where to post my questions, so I hope I'm in the right spot. As I mentioned in earlier posts, I'm a writer. I put my notice in on my apartment here in Los Angeles, so I'm leaving soon. Where am I going? Answer: I don't know, but it would be nice to have a trailer to go there in.

Okay, so I'm looking at a 1965 26' Silver Streak Continental for $5K. I'm happy to put another $5-10K into it to get it in really good shape. I'd like to replace the fridge, toilet, propane tanks and regulators, heater, and install A/C. I also may rip out the floors to get rid of that old asbestos tile, put something nice in, and redo the upholstery on the couches. I'm hoping when I'm done, the resale value if the trailer will be close to what I've put into it -- should I decide to sell it. Maybe I'll keep it and use it as an office.

I want to live in the trailer full time for at least a year. Does this sound like a good idea to everyone? Is this a feasible plan? Do I sound one sandwich short of a picnic? Also, how do I pick this up if it's out of state? I still need to buy a TV (stands for Tow Vehicle, not Television). Also, is this trailer a double axle? Do I need a double axle trailer? Does it increase stability or anything like that? And do I have to make my bed everyday? I like a nice cushy bed. I don't want to have wake blury eyed from slumber and have to to turn my bed into a kitchen table each morning.

I'm VERY new at all of this. Just a girl pursuing a CRAZY idea...

All thoughts are appreciated.

Myra Winter

"
You just have to decide if you’re a Tigger or an Eeyore." - Randy Pausch
mwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 07:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
The Silver Streaks are very cool looking trailers. I looked at some as well as Avion before finding our Argosy. As for as resale they don't hold a candle to a real Airstream. I think that if you are planning to put a chunk of change into restoration/repair then you should only be looking at an Airstream. Even an Argosy doesn't command the same resale as an Airstream.
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 07:39 PM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Myra,
To each their own...I ate the sandwich BTW

I am not familiar with the Silver Streaks but they have an excellent reputation. As far as two axles are concerned I prefer them over a single. The 26' is a maybe in may be that it has two or it may be that it has one. Two axles has the advantage of stability and twice the braking power if so equipped. As far as how much you spend and put into it that is strictly up to you. As long as you aren't trying to make a quick buck off of it you should do fine. I personally think people are crazy to spend $350,000 for a 1600sf house on a golf course when mine with 40 acres cost less than that I doubt you would get $10k for the trailer when you are done with it, but if you factor in the money you "saved" by not paying rent in LA for a year it may look a bit better for you. FWIW I paid about $3k for my 31' Airstream, it is undergoing a 120 step rehab program that is approaching it's 3rd year However by doing most of the work myself I have kept my costs very reasonable and will have less than $6k total in it when I am done. My choice. If I had paid to have it all done I would probably be in for over $15k total and the trailer might sell for $10k on a good day. But I didn't buy it to try and make money on it. However when I look at the brand new 31' Classics selling for around $70k I feel pretty darn smart

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 07:59 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
What is the smallest Airstream with a double axle? Does anyone know?

Myra

"
Old 04-24-2007, 08:03 PM   #5
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwinter
I'm never sure where to post my questions,
Just a girl pursuing a CRAZY idea....Myra Winter
sorting out where to post can be tricky.

really your closing comment would make a GREAT thread title...

will ALL of your general, exploring questions right there...

along with our brilliant answers.

one long thread on your process could be like some of the bigger rehab threads...

easy for us find and follow.

no need to re-explain the background...

it matters not 2me, but you asked.

Quote:
I'm hoping when I'm done, the resale value if the trailer will be close to what I've put into it
hoping to recoup BASIC rehab costs in any rv,

is like hoping that new kitchen or den remodel will increase home value dollar4dollar...

neither is likely, and the gain at resale is often a small % of the initial expense.

what we get for our money is an improved living/use experience.

but not much at resale; especially for basics like fridge, or flooring or curtains or a toilet or furnace or a/c

now this isn't true for a old shell restored to full use or a professionally done rehab.

Quote:
I'm happy to put another $5-10K into it to get it in really good shape.
if it were only that simple. 5-10K$ doesn't go far, unless YOU are doing all the labor.

or IF major issues are discoverd after the purchase.

silver streaks are nice enough, but ANY 40 year old unit may have hidden issues..

like plumbing leaks, frame failure, floor rot, electrical mysteries, running gear and so on.

IF the unit in question has been planted for many years, taking it on the road is a big deal.

with many potential holes for money.

cheers
2air'

and i like folks who pursue their crazy ideas!

4 modern units 22-23 is the shortest double axle offering.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 08:13 PM   #6
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
The mid-'70s Safari 23' is the smallest tandem axle Airstream I can think of.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 08:13 PM   #7
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
What is the smallest Airstream with a double axle? Does anyone know?

Myra
Depends on the year In 1975 the 23' could be ordered with either the single or the double axle. Everything 25' and above was double up through the 31' Sovereign. Not sure when that option went away. Some of the older trailers (50'-early60's) had single axles up to around 28' or so. Take a look at the Vintage Airstream Photo Archives it will give an excellent idea of the various years and how they were equipped.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 08:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Myra----This has nothing to do with your question about a Silver Streak but more about the speed at which you seem to be moving. Just a gut impression but you give me the impression you could pick this trailer up and in a few days have one ready to live in. I'm sure it's your naivete but you can't just take a vintage trailer to a shop on monday and pick it up on friday, finished and ready to go which is the impression you give that this event could happen. Not trying to discourge you but just point out it's not as easy as you seem to think it is. Restoring a vintage trailer, even for a experienced professional, takes months even years, depending on the unit. If fulltime trailering is what you have in your heart I suggest you start with one that is in livable condition first as there is enough without starting with a basket case.---pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 08:26 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Whaaa!

> "I'm sure it's your naivete but you can't just take a vintage trailer to a
> shop on monday and pick it up on friday, finished and ready to go...."

Well that's disheartening because my landlord has already rented my apartment.

"
Old 04-24-2007, 08:27 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Myra

We bought a small Silver Streak before acquiring the Airstream. They are well built and just different enough from Airstream to stand out. That's good and bad. Good when buying as they are generally not nearly as high priced and bad when you decide to resell. A much smaller audience for them than Airstreams, as was always the case. I believe in order of magnitude it was Airstream, then Avion, the Silver Streak, then Streamline - and some others in there too in really small quantities.

Almost everything that fits on and Airstream fits on a Silver Streak - the bigger issue is when you have a problem that's specific to the SS you have a smaller crowd to help you with answers such as "oh, on my trailer it was......".

We looked for a long time for the right silver trailer, bought the SS, started a restoration and as luck would have it then the Airstream showed up so we felt compelled to buy it. I'm very happy we made the switch - the biggest reason is that there's a history with the Airstream and the whole thing of Wally and Stella Byam and the camaraderie on the highways(paved and internet) and in campgrounds that can't be beat.

We looked at a lot of SS's over the years, as well as Avion's, and I liked them all, but when it comes to long term value for your investment, nothing beats the Airstream.

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 08:30 PM   #11
_

. , .
while your basic questions aren't the same...

i'm reminded of this thread anyway.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f314...ity-26143.html

you might want to read the other threads under 'full timing' and 'winter living' and on the road....

for some back ground.

also there are several books on full time rv living that have VERY useful answers to many of the basic questions.
new/used
size/type
repairs
routine costs
towing
camping costs
routes
insurance costs
safety
unexpected costs
mail/communications

did i mention costs?
and so on...

i carry this one and have given it away several times...

the title in no way reflects on the readers...

and the rig type featured on the cover, may be the quickest, easiest and cheapest way to go!

there are many useful websites like this one..

RV Resources - Camping Guide

cheers
2air'
Attached Images

Old 04-24-2007, 08:34 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
while your basic questions aren't the same...

i'm reminded of this thread anyway.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f314...ity-26143.html

you might want to read the other threads under 'full timing' and 'winter living' and on the road....

for some back ground.

also there are several books on full time rv living that have VERY useful answers to many of the basic questions.
new/used
size/type
repairs
routine costs
towing
and so on...

i carry this one and have given it away several times...

the title in no way reflects on the readers...

and the rig type featured on the cover, may be the quickest, easiest and cheapest way to go!

there are many useful websites like this one..

RV Resources - Camping Guide

cheers
2air'
Something about the title disturbs me.

"
Old 04-24-2007, 08:42 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Tucson , Arizona
Myra, Myra, Myra, What are you thinking?

I'm about to leave everything behind, that won't fit in the AS or truck. I too, don't care to regret the things I didn't do. Come with me, we'll drive until the gas runs out............... T
tamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 08:49 PM   #14
_

. , .
Quote:
Something about the title disturbs me.
nahhh!

it's a good title.

you u can by both books for a small sum on 'bay....

however the dummies basic rv book is oop...

only the 'vacation' version is still available..

cheers
2air'
Attached Images

Old 04-24-2007, 08:59 PM   #15
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Myra, there's certainly nothing romantic or glamorous about full-timing in a small trailer. There are lots of maintenance issues to be mastered, not the least of which is learning how to dump and flush holding tanks, remove and reinstall LP tanks for filling, and learning how to winterize your unit on a moment's notice. There's hitching and unhitching, dealing with flat tires, and lighting pilot lights when necessary.

Most of can't afford to have those things done for us.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 09:02 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamis
Myra, Myra, Myra, What are you thinking?

I'm about to leave everything behind, that won't fit in the AS or truck. I too, don't care to regret the things I didn't do. Come with me, we'll drive until the gas runs out............... T
Tamis,

I'm not crazy. I am totally sane. I woke up one day (okay, it didn't happen quite that fast..) and realized I don't belong in Los Angeles and I'm in the wrong line of work. I mean, don't get me wrong, I do enjoy writing, but I'm writing brochures for huge corporations. Yuck. I'm tired of living the BIG LIE, and I'm ready for some changes. This is it. I can't put off my life any longer. I am jumping. I know some hippies up in Eugene Oregon who will take me. I also have a friend in Western Mass who is away all summer. I can go stay with her until I get this vintage trailer thing sorted out. I have some money, and I know how to make more. Are you with me?

Myra

"
Old 04-24-2007, 09:08 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325
Myra, there's certainly nothing romantic or glamorous about full-timing in a small trailer. There are lots of maintenance issues to be mastered, not the least of which is learning how to dump and flush holding tanks, remove and reinstall LP tanks for filling, and learning how to winterize your unit on a moment's notice. There's hitching and unhitching, dealing with flat tires, and lighting pilot lights when necessary.

Most of can't afford to have those things done for us.

Roger
Roger,

I am quite handy. I replaced the faucet and hoses in my kitchen sink. I fixed my car last weekend. I do my own taxes, and I run my own business. I may not have the strength that a bigger person does, but technically, I can figure most things out. All that dirty icky stuff doesn't bother me a bit.

Myra

"
Old 04-24-2007, 09:26 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
ocala , Florida
Talking You go Myra!!!

Question,how far are you willing to travel to get your trailer?I might be able to find you a deal.If I can get a hold of a guy.This will be in Florida though . Brian
wanderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 09:28 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Roger,

I am quite handy. I replaced the faucet and hoses in my kitchen sink. I fixed my car last weekend. I do my own taxes, and I run my own business. I may not have the strength that a bigger person does, but technically, I can figure most things out. All that dirty icky stuff doesn't bother me a bit.

Myra
And with that willingness to take on new things, added to the fact that you have the right attitude, you will do just fine Myra. My only caution is don't buy any silver trailer too quickly until you are sure it's in the condition the seller says it's in. Beyond that, life is what you make of it and taking action sometimes, even if you have to do a bit of backtracking from time to time, is just fine.

Hey, on the thread Found Homeless I posted a 19' Bambi I noticed in OR, on a lot, for sale or take over the persons payments. I think it was the Medford, OR Craigs list. I just thew it up there yesterday - I don't know anything about the person but saw it and thought there may be takers on the forum. It's take the trailer and buy it outright or take over the payments, and you can tow it to where ever you want or if you meet the rental lot folks' requirements it could stay put there. I think the rig is in Ashland, OR.

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 09:34 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
And with that willingness to take on new things, added to the fact that you have the right attitude, you will do just fine Myra. My only caution is don't buy any silver trailer too quickly until you are sure it's in the condition the seller says it's in. Beyond that, life is what you make of it and taking action sometimes, even if you have to do a bit of backtracking from time to time, is just fine.

Hey, on the thread Found Homeless I posted a 19' Bambi I noticed in OR, on a lot, for sale or take over the persons payments. I think it was the Medford, OR Craigs list. I just thew it up there yesterday - I don't know anything about the person but saw it and thought there may be takers on the forum. It's take the trailer and buy it outright or take over the payments, and you can tow it to where ever you want or if you meet the rental lot folks' requirements it could stay put there. I think the rig is in Ashland, OR.

Barry
LOL !! I already saw it and responded!!

I don't know if I want to take over his payments. $36K is a LOT to spend on a trailer. I was trying to do this for less. He must be living in it.

M.

"