Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-19-2007, 07:56 PM   #1
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Silver Streak Floor Repairs

Figured I'd get this started. Only camera is my cell phone, but I'll try to figure out how to post pictures. Many thanks to the A/S folk who took the time in a large number of threads to detail how their trailer floor repairs went, I spent a few days reading to try to prepare.

My wife and I are upgrading the interior to live here for a year or more. We bought an Italian leather sofa, dark-brown, (and barely, I mean b-a-r-e-l-y got it through the 26" doorway), she's ordered us some curtains, and I'm overseeing the floor repairs (doing some of it) in order to lay a cork tile floor (12x12 gluedown). (I'd have preferred Marmoleum linoleum but we found no colors that suited us (working with the gold/silver and black-trim). At some future point I will be replacing the lighting fixtures with higher-quality marine pieces, but that will be a job in itself as we go through the electrical system to fit a pair of TV's, new stereo, security alarm, etc.

Trailer is a 1983 Silver Streak Model 3411. We bought this recently from a very nice couple outside Montgomery, Texas and have hauled it back to Dallas (with a trip back and forth to Corpus Christi). The carpeting was removed and leaks were searched out. The awning came loose in a windstorm several years back according to PO, and the starboard bow has several tears around window which have been "fixed" (hopefully). The floor in that corner was wet after weeks of rain, but dried up nicely. Used antifreeze and a heat lamp to get it back to normal. Plan to swab some penetrating epoxy over it. (WEST MARINE). The same around doorway where old weathergasket leaked.

The subfloor is 19/32" exterior-grade plywood throughout (a reference on the tommpatterson site (brochure) was that early 1970's trailers had 5/8 subflooring). The worst area was the bathroom where a leaking toilet "water saver" (sprayer) had rotted out the wood in conjunction with what appeared to be plumbing stack leakage (All three stacks have been replaced with metal pieces from Vintage Trailer Supply - Vintage travel trailer parts and supplies! and Acryl-R). Mold extends slightly up under wardrobe on port side (near to water heater), but we'll undercut it and slide some new wood in place. As the port side bathroom wardrobe contains the water heater (on the subfloor, underneath a false bottom) and the electrical distribution panel (upper portion, at wall to bedroom), it was determined that this was more trouble than it was worth at present. I'll use more bleach and then more antifreeze on it if it appears to be growing.

A single piece of 5/8" CDX was purchased and will provide enough for the rearmost 4x8 replacement (including toilet stand). If I have time, a coat of Sherwin-Williams A-100 exterior-grade latex primer will be brushed on.

I went out today to purchase supplies and bought fasteners in a close or barely larger size to replace those removed. (Few required cutoff; most of those near to toilet):

100 pcs each (for future jobs); boxes:
8x5/8 Combo Pan Sheet Metal Screws (Zinc)
8x1 Slotted Hex Washer Sheet Metal Screws (Zinc)
12x1 Phillips Flat Sheet Metal Screws (Zinc)
10x1-1/4 Combo Sheet Metal Screws (Zinc)

(Stll need the big floor screws, almost lag screw type but self-drilling)

The work includes removing the toilet, sink/vanity, the wall separating the trunk from the bath (many of the countertop screws are accessed from trunk) and to access the floor attaching points of the 4x8 panel. We cut the vertical trunk panel in order to remove it (there was a seam we followed), and that was the only difficulty (for re-assembly).

The new floor has been cut (three pieces) as a single piece would be just too much to try to maneuver into place during reassembly. (The third piece is the toilet flange). We'll "sister" onto one of the frame riggers to get the floor installed.

There is no significant rust on the metal frame as exposed, and the insulation (removed) wasn't bad. In fact, besides the wood, nothing looked as if it had suffered years of water attack.

This work included several men on a crew and labor total was around six hours. The work went easily until it was time for the painstaking removal of small rotted pieces. Had to use a chisel and pliers to get wood from the interface of skin/frame around perimeter.

The one spot that was difficult was the corner nearest the window of the countertop/sink/shower enclosure. This will necessitate a bit of time to properly replace.

Is there a "C" channel as the A/S folks have? No, not per se as the floor is not a structural member in the same manner. However, the exterior skin and interior skin (separated by 4" of insulted space) are underlain by a metal skin and the wood subfloor is very tightly held in place, as well as screwed in from underneath. (A more experienced S/S owner can chime in here to correct me). This is based on what I can see and feel. A more extensive floor replacement would benefit by removal of the belly skins (on an S/S there is 4" of insulated/skin and 4" empty air space to belly skin underneath the subfloor). I can see no reason not to simply take the time to remove from the interior space as we are doing, removing the lower skins would be prohibitive, IMO.

I'll post more as the job finishes. We may replace the sink with a brushed stainless or copper piece, and vanity countertop with CORIAN.

I'll start another thread on the cork flooring once that contractor arrives.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:08 PM   #2
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Some shots from the brochures page at Tom Pattersons great site:

Bathroom. Note wood-panel rear divider (to exterior trunk). The vanity countertop and sink rest on this piece and is accessed inside and out for screw removal (The one "tough" place as mentioned above is the rear window wall where sink vanity top and shower wall meet at rear wall; underside is several blocks, vertical & horizontal):

1983 Silver Streak Brochure Page 2

Views of shell/framing:

1971-2 Silver Streak Brochure Page 4

Frame: (heat ducts later moved to interior)

1971-2 Silver Streak Brochure Page 5

Walls are 2", underside is 4" insulated; my mistake above.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:27 PM   #3
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Well, the repairs have been done awhile now. I took some photos but haven't found the camera cord, etc, to transfer pics.

The new toilet (which we mounted with a wax ring and silicone; we'll see how that goes) is great, the floor is solid as can be, and the job went surprisingly well.

Can't get the new cork flooring installed until the 21st of August, so we'll boogie on out of hot Texas after we pick up all new curtains tomorrow.
As in another post, found all the hardware (and many other things) at CAMPER CAPITOL in a NE Dallas suburb. The curtains ought to kick things up in appearance as the originals are not only faded but seem to have been machine washed versus dry-cleaned.

Again, compared to what I've seen and read about A/S trailer floor repairs, the Silver Streak was considerably easier. Just have to take apart the cabinetry, R&R, and reinstall that set of puzzle pieces. (Actually, a nice reminder of the build quality of these trailers). The crew time of six hours, and my time of about four (working slowly, all of us, as it was a new experience), tells me that solo I would have spent the best part of a weekend from Friday night into Sunday afternoon if by myself.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:58 PM   #4
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Cork floor now installed. Looks great, next-to-no-problem with level questions (3/16's per 10'; leveled with ARDEX Feather Finish, coated with suppliers latex primer and then adhesive. Rolled multiple times with 3-part floor roller; will be waxing with S.C. Johnson commercial product in a few days); hoping that travel (frame flex) doesn't cause too many problems. Floor is gorgeous, comfortable to bare feet (more so than any floor I've ever been barefoot upon), and quiet. Pics as soon as I figure out how to.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
REDNAX, it sounds like your project is coming along nicely. I'm kinda surprised that no one else is responding to this thread....I find it fascinating, because I appreciate the quality that went into Silver Streaks. I especially prefer the bathroom of the Silver Streak over that of the Airstream. I also like the heat ducts in the floor and the sewer hose tube in the frame. Keep up the posts.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 11:36 PM   #6
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Thanks, Stingray. I have yet to post on the SILVER STREAK MAILING LIST so I would guess that S/S owners (the few, the proud) may not be aware of this subforum. They'll be along in a while. Too much to learn from all the Airstreamers on repairs and upgrades on this great site. And I am grateful to post to a board with more easily accessed information than a mailing list. Shoot, I re-read the above and am aware of how fast I forget things nowadays.

The S/S underwent changes over the years. On this year model the heat ducting is no longer in the floor, but the complete plumbing system is protected from freezing as it shares the same spaces (with an exception). I recently camped next to a pipeline inspector on his second used Silver Streak who winters in Wyoming for work. No freeze problems. He added a tankless water heater to his, but got away before I could see the installation.

The frame-mount sewer hose carrier is, sadly, also a bygone by 1983. I have some rather unattractive (but plenty useful and large) outside-access doors cut into the lower skin; starboard, about 5 o'clock. The mid-late 1960's Silver Streaks have a large cool factor for the reasons you mention, and others besides. Style. I miss the overhead third tail light for one.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:40 AM   #7
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
If I could find a really nice 1974 3200 Continental Supreme, I would sell or trade the Airstream for it. That was the first year that the grey tanks were standard on all Silver Streak models. Plus I love those green corner windows; reminds me of the "greenhouses" on the UH-1H Huey. If you can find one where the anodized aluminum is still in good shape, taking care of it is so much easier than the Airstream.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 07:52 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Get that camera working

This project sounds great. We are so close to Dallas I'd hope to see the finished product. I would really like to have a small SS as a companion to the Caravel. Keep working!!
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 10:32 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Interesting

Sounds like a great project. I look forward to your photographs. There is a Silver Streak in my neighborhood, but I don’t know anything about it. I’ll have to take a closer look next time I pass.

Vaughan
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:15 AM   #10
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Had some activity on the Silver Streak Mailing List (Toms' Web Page) on floor repairs recently. I'll dig around for those pics. Trailer currently in covered storage. Zero problems with this renovation (we were full-time, homeless, for seven months). Floor, curtains and new toilet are great! No problem with cork flooring in bath or kitchen.