Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-14-2016, 05:56 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Houston , Texas
Should I buy this 1986 Avion?

I'm a first-time RVer-to-be. I am considering buying this 1986 Avion 25' trailer. It seems to be in excellent shape. It was checked out by an RV center, where they replaced the converter. The antenna doesn't go up, but everything else seems to be in very good shape. The exterior seems quite nice, has a few very small scratches, tires and wheels are new, appliances work, new curtains and mattresses. The asking price is $14,500.

I'm a little nervous about starting out this RV adventure in a 30-year-old trailer, and I'd love some informed opinions.

What do you think? Thanks in advance for any advice/encouragement/warnings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0646.jpg
Views:	1053
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	264486   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2086.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	374.3 KB
ID:	264487  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3240.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	264488   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8369.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	264489  

ceedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
That's a solid, durable, well built trailer, what are you waiting for?
Old 06-14-2016, 07:27 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
That length Avion is hard to come by. I'd jump on it...

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Looks very well cared for and rear twins are highly regarded.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Avions are a lot more robustly built than Airstreams. For that price I'm surprised to see that it's been gently refreshed - new flooring, new upholstery and curtains. Pretty tasteful.

SMELL EVERYTHING. Especially in closets, corners dark places. No mouse urine or black mold, or rotting wood and with a good rating from an RV shop, it's kinda hard to go wrong at that price.

You could easily pay $8K for one in "as is" shape. I'm sure something will break within a year - allow $1000 for that - and if you can afford it, well why not?

Paula
Old 06-14-2016, 08:35 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Houston , Texas
Thanks so much for the encouragement and advice. I am tempted and you are tempting me more. It smelled quite clean and fresh in there. I got one whiff in the toilet I didn't love, but it wasn't bad. I'm relatively handy, but my husband isn't so much and doesn't really want to be. He doesn't quite get it, but he is sweet and is going along with this idea of mine. I don't even camp yet and don't even know if I'll like staying in concrete RV lots! But in between trips I think (think) I can back up the Avion into my driveway and use it as guest quarters (depending on how long I'd have before I had to go find a place somewhere to dump what I believe is called the blackwater tank!)

Are there any campsites that wouldn't accept this trailer? Or can it go pretty much anywhere?
Old 06-14-2016, 08:36 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I'm not an expert - I'd suggest Paula is...that's good advice...

For my view - I could have bought several of those Avions at that price for what I paid for a new AS in 2012 and frankly, that trailer looks as camp ready as anything out there.

Follow the advice you've seen so far. Happy camping!!! 😀
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 10:00 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Mobile , Alabama
As stated, Avions are extremely well built and durable trailers. This one seems like a good example. Price seems a little on the high end to me but smaller sizes do command greater prices and Avion prices in general have been up a bit in the last couple of years. I say go for it.

I have a 1984 Avion. I've stayed at several high end commercial parks and never had a problem with the age of the trailer. There are some people who say they have - whether with a vintage airstream or Avion but I think that is certainly the minority. This length will help when it comes to spots in state and national park since they tend to have sites for shorter rigs.

I've towed mine over 6,000 miles last year and spent about 30 nights in it last year in a mix of state and federal parks and commercial campgrounds. I'm at about at 17 nights so far this year and about 2000 miles. I finally had to replace my electric brakes last year (after 8 years of ownership) and replaced bearings in the process but that is the only maintenance. The fact is that trailers, like most mechanical things, tend to function best when used. Still, with any trailer new or old there will be some maintenance required from time to time but most of it can either be learned or you can find a reliable rv service person to perform.

Jarrod
Jarrod White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 06:59 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Check the belly pan in the areas of the tanks. Make sure there is no sagging. Looks like a cool Avion. We love ours.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 10:02 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Houston , Texas
Thank you so much for the replies. I am going to hook it up to electric, crawl under it to look at the things you mentioned, and haul it down the road for a test run on Friday. I'll let you know what happens! Here is a short video of the interior.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:06 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Houston , Texas
let me try that video again...
Attached Files
Old 06-15-2016, 11:49 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
It looks very nice. New flooring & fridge, new upholstery .... looks ready to rock & roll! I bought my Avion that I'm working on for quite a bit less, but believe me, it needs a ton of work compared to that one! You may be able to negotiate it down a little, but considering what an Airstream goes for in that shape, the price isn't bad.

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 12:02 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Expect something to break. But that can happen with a new one also. So just be ready and enjoy the ride. I bought a "77" Minuet about 8 years ago and spend less than $400.00 per year bringing it back to life (it was rough) while camping 30+ days per year and about 3k miles. It looks like that one was in great condition before the refresh and the refresh is tasteful.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 12:04 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2008 22' Sport
Tucson , Arizona
1986 Avion

If you decide you aren't interested in the trailer, please provide me with the contact information for the seller. I would be interested in finding out more
about this older unit.

Mark
520-404-7806
markcpcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 12:24 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Yukon , Oklahoma
Been for sale for quite a while... sent you a PM
86Silver Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 01:03 PM   #16
Cajun Traveler

2014 27' FB International
Slaughter , Louisiana
We purchased a second-hand Avion before we purchased our new 2014 Airstream. The only thing I didn't like is the twin beds because I was too tall for that type of bed and the trailer was in worse condition than we thought and found out later down the road. Now, the Avion was a much better built trailer than the new airstream I purchased. This Avion looks like it's in really good condition. The price is good and I don't think you'll make a mistake.
Billyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 07:03 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Clean Skin and good Banana Wrap as far as the Video shows, so I would assume it has been lightly used. Avion's undercarriage and running gear is a bit different (at least on the ones I have seen), so you may need to inspect all the linkages and springs. Don't be out off by rusty steel unless it shows serious pitting and loss of metal. 30 years old sounds like a lot, but this trailer will still be on the road when some new SOBs have long gone out to pasture.
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 07:06 PM   #18
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
By appearance, I'd buy it. Gotten hard to find nice ones since about 2010 of any of the vintage kin.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:07 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
got one like it

I have that same 25 foot Avion design with twin beds at the rear and the bath in the middle. Really like the layout. Mine (1985) had a significant scrape along one side, and some interior damage including the fridge did not work with gas and needed a circuit board replacement to get that going. I also am changing the sofa at the front end, to be two benches that face each other. I paid a bit over $7K, but had to put some work and funds into it.

We really like it, and wish you success whichever way you go on it.

bd
dower.bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:10 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Houston , Texas
Thank you so much for the feedback. I'm going back Friday to give it a second look and to try hauling it with my truck. I will definitely take note of potential problems areas that you have pointed out.

So... this is very basic. But how does a sale work? Make up a bill of sale that they sign, give them cash and they give you a title? Then to take the title to the DMV for tax, title and license?

I'm not sure I could back it up into my narrow driveway on the very first day. I might need some practice first before I attempt that. Maybe I should take it to my own RV mechanic to be checked out first anyway.

Speaking of, how do I find a good repair person for this Avion? I took an older borrowed RV once to a huge RV dealer nearby, and I was not impressed by the work and the amount of time it took. I'm in central/southwest Houston.