Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-23-2016, 10:34 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Kerrville , Texas
Shopping, Need your Thoughts

Our budget is $12,000
Our ideal stream is 60s-70s (fiancee' is adamant about this)
We want it to have enough space to live in and we NEED to be truly reliable and roadworthy - this is my number one concern

My concern is that I can't see what the frame looks like without taking off the belly skin. I can't in good conscience buy a 28-31 foot trailer without knowing whats lurking down there. I don't think people will let me pull apart their trailer if I don't own it... The collective wisdom on these forums seems to suggest that 99.99% of streams from that era need frame overhaul or work so it seems I'm at a stalemate with the market.

At this point I'm thinking we shouldn't be buying one at all because we really won't know whats down there and one that has already been overhauled is going to be far out of our price range. It seems our only realistic option is to hope to find a halfway completed project that has already had the frame finished. There are so many shiny 60s-70s streams on craigslist and whatnot but we really cannot afford an expensive blunder.

Is there a way you professionals can get a look at the frame in an easy manner that won't result in a lawsuit from potential sellers? I've heard about the jumping on the rear bumper thing but frankly with the size of these things I wouldn't trust all of our hard earned money to a test like that.

Am I off base by completely ruling out the random solid looking streams that haven't been stored indoors?

Advice and suggestions appreciated. We are a little bummed because we thought we finally had enough money but it appears that is probably not the case.

Regards;
Goobscoob
goobscoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 02:29 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St Charles , Missouri
Buy an Avion. You can get more trailer for your money, they are insulated better and those of us that own them feel they are built better than the Airstreams. We paid $5k for our 1986 Avion 32S, you can see pictures in my thread "Avianca - the cure for alumatitis". It is more difficult to find the 30-32' as most of them were 34', but well worth the searching.

This is actually a 1988 32S which is a 32' model, easy to tell by the double axle instead of the triple axle. Pretty nice for $10,500.
http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/...eluxe-edition/

You can open the storage doors along the sides of the Avion and see the outside of the frame, gives you a good idea what it would look like above the belly pan.

I know you said, must be airstream, but I liken it to the fact I don't own Yeti stuff, I own RTIC. Because I want quality, but don't need a certain name brand to feel like I got a good product.

This is our second one, wished we hadn't sold the first. If we convince ourselves to give up the 9-5 routine, sell everything and hit the road, it will be in this trailer.

Btw, love Kerrville. We are originally from central Texas, but I have family in Medina, Fredricksburg and Campwood. Spent a lot of my younger years on the Camp Ranch just up the hill and across 187 from Lost Maples.
Texfx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 07:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Second the avion.....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote