Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-07-2010, 11:49 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
SERROSCOTTY SPORTSMAN looksee!

This is no biggie I figure but my friend has a trailer she is trying to figure out what it's worth if sold as is. Any of you heavy wieghts have any info on what I am showing here...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4719.JPG
Views:	341
Size:	268.7 KB
ID:	104435   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4720.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	162.6 KB
ID:	104436  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4739.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	104437   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4735.JPG
Views:	251
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	104438  

Old 06-08-2010, 03:28 AM   #2
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Scotty's are becoming very popular lately. They have a fairly large following and there are actually two owners clubs out there, the National Serro Scotty Club and the Serro Scotty Camper Enthusiasts. Just like Airstreamers, Scotty people like to have a great time. I have been to a couple of their rallies here on the east coast. Some of these Scotty's can fetch serious money if the model is right and the originality is there. They seem to be growing in popularity lately.
The one your friend has looks to be mid 60's to me. It also looks to be a 13 footer. The condition is VERY rough. The front and side panel are separating there in the front which is a sign that the wood structure has been compromised. Scottys are not riveted together, they are stapled and nailed. As far as value, I can only say what ever someone is willing to pay. I would suggest not using those photos if you plan on selling it. Clean it out too, for when someone sees all that junk, they will assume it all is junk and will low ball you. You can expect a number of walk aways before you find the right buyer, for as I said, that one is rough
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:00 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
OK thanks I will pass the word on to her about cleaning it out...it has been in her back yard and some her children lived in it...but I will get those links and your advice to her Thanks again
Old 06-08-2010, 06:46 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Frank hit the nail on the head about the trash - you don't want to be showing those pictures! It does, however, look like a fun (but very big) project. I suspect that all of the wood structure will need to be replaced, but at least all of the skin and windows seem to be there. If the frame is in good shape (a big if), she just might make a real nice rig. I tried to tackle a slide in truck camper from that era many years ago that was in real rough shape. Partially through the rehab, I determined that the structure was too far gone to make it economically viable and I wound up scrapping it.

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:52 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Down the street from her place - there is a trailer scrap yard/grave yard looking place we saw thru the trees and will be looking closer at it on the next trip. My sister accumulates (LOTS OF THINGS) ..we had yet to get out there to it because of the high heat and possible copperheads. So when I shot it on the inside I was in a hurry, but like I said before we will clean it out real good and re shoot it. Thanks!
Old 06-08-2010, 10:51 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Like Frank says -- this one is in rough shape. The siding pulled away at the front corner might suggest a serious rot potential. Tread on the tires or not, I doubt anybody would have a positive experience pulling it away -- it might have to be trailered. The greatest part of any value will come from the actual restoration efforts. That value isn't there now. We see posts about disastrous old Airstreams and sometime it is difficult to scrape up enthusiasm even for $500 price points because so much work will be involved to bring it back. Frank's links might help give a better idea but this won't be a goldmine for your friend.

The last page of WoodenBoat magazine always presents a sad classic boat (actual potential) someone wants to give away if the new owner only will give it care and attention.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:00 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
I have two Scottys currently (a finished one-1961 Front Kitchen model, and a 1962 project...still very much under construction) and recenly sold a third. This one looks like a '65 to me, 13', and standard floor plan (gaucho in the back, dinette in the front). It is rough, but I have seen worse, and the Scotty folks love to bring these back. I belong to both Yahoo groups. The last one I sold seemed to be better structurally and I was able to sell if for $400. I would say this one, as it sits, is worth $200 max. Someone would resurrect it, though, if it is advertised properly to the correct crowd. Compared to AS, these Scottys are incredibly simple machines.
PA BAMBI II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:05 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
$200 sounds about right.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 03:26 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Ok well I will share this with the friend and she will be glad to hear about that. But it HAS been sitting there for many years. If any one finds a link to a sale area for Scottys' will you stick it in here?
Old 06-09-2010, 07:12 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
When you get better pictures, location of the trailer, and your friend's selling price, I will be more than happy to post her ad on both Scotty sites. Just let me know.

Thanks! Ben
PA BAMBI II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:17 AM   #11
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
where is this trailer? I might be very interested.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:31 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
It is in Guthrie Oklahoma....way out in the country...
Old 06-10-2010, 03:50 AM   #13
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
oh, someone out that way will be interested
Old 06-10-2010, 06:26 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
This lady has had the serro for a long time, and has taken care of it over the years, When I looked in it, There was a mold smell --not strong--and not so wet to see any mushrooms etc...Ha! Also looked and saw rusting on the stove...sooo it has been thru a lot rain storms, probably unoccupied. She said if I can sell it she would split the sales with me. I had mentioned to her that I am part of this site (Airforums) and would install those pictures for anyone of you to see. Thhanks for the feed back and we will persue it after we get her cleaned out and re-shot. Lastly - I forgot to mention that this persons' health has kept her from keeping it up without outside assistance...hence is why I have appeared with the specs about how and where to sell it. Now thats my story and I ma sticken to it!
Old 06-10-2010, 06:37 PM   #15
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I have been wanting a Scotty to add to the harem. Unfortunately that one is just too far away. I think though either one of those clubs I linked you will find a buyer. Clean it out, screw that corner back together, take good photos in the late afternoon, and list it for $1000. You need to start somewhere.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:10 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
I called her last night and reported all this to her and said to get out there...run off the copperheads and we will take pictures etc. She said she would be delighted to get rid of it. Thanks again
Old 06-11-2010, 09:30 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
Congrats.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote