Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-04-2015, 08:56 AM   #41
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panama Red View Post
Some people camp in tents??? Preposterous!!!

-Red, never ever going back...
Sorry Red. What I meant was that he didn't absolutely need plumbing to enjoy his camper.

Also, I looked around for pictures of that models interior to maybe aid in the task of bringing his baby back to vintage condition. Most of them had been drastically changed. BUT…. I saw a few photos of a foldable wall mount toilet on units from around that era. ( good luck finding one I say sarcastically ) For shirts and goggles, do a google IMAGE search for that model.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:57 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestar99 View Post
Shari you guys did an awesome job on your trailer! You should be proud.
We are, thanks! And we enjoy using it!!!

Shari
Looking forward to spring...
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 11:30 AM   #43
1 Rivet Member

1959 18' "Footer"
Newton Abbot , Devon
It would be a crime to gut something this rare and original - There are plenty of other AS of younger and less rare vintage available for this exercise! By all means, take it apart and install new floor, frame, hidden and updated services, new insulation, wiring and gas pipes for safety reasons etc. As a “cabinet maker” you will easily be able to re-instate anything missing or not original or make new cabinets to original specification, but better. If you decide on anything else I will be happy to buy it from you at good profit for you!
1947liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 12:07 PM   #44
1 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Folly Beach , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestar99 View Post
I bought a 1951 Silver Streak Clipper a few months ago. The trailer is basically a time capsule as it has all it's original parts except a couple interior lights.

My dilemma is, do I restore the inside and modernize it with a new floor plan or restore what is there and leave it as an example of a trailer made in 1951? What happens to the value? If I modernize it do I lose value as it is now not original. Do I hurt resale if I leave it as is with just minimal up grades? It needs paint, upholstery, the fridge recharged and a new floor. I would add tail lights where the old turn signals are. Still looks the same just safer. There is no 12 volt system, so I would add that and a converter. Those things can be hidden. There was no bathroom. So my thought was to add a portable pottie in the large closet that encloses the wheel well. That could be removed to keep it original. The rear beds are twin and the front dinette becomes a bed. If I remove the "Lucy and Desi" beds am I messing up an original trailer? I can turn the bed sideways and almost get a queen in the back but it requires one person to crawl out over the other. I camp alone, with my dog. She has no preference. I am a cabinet maker and have experience building smaller trailers from scratch. But like many old car guys they cringe when you take something so original and completely change it.
I am looking for advise from experienced trailer owners who have been through this. I don't want to ruin a valuable original trailer, but also don't want to restore one that most people would not want. This is my first vintage trailer and I want to do it right. What are your thoughts?
I can post pictures if that helps.

Thanks, Steve
I was faced with a similar dilemma when I restored my '63 Globe Trotter. I finally realized that someone thought-out that space a long time ago and to 'reinvent the wheel' wasn't such a great idea. Go forward with good restoration principals as a guide: do no harm, don't do anything that can't be undone, use the gentlest possible treatment, document what you do. I,too, am a cabinet maker. I used the old cabinets that were in poor condition as patterns for new ones with upgraded construction. On the other hand IMHO the addition of modern conveniences is imperative, just use the above principals to accomplish improvements. I added gray water storage and installed new appliances. My two cents...
Crowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 12:35 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
I haven't read every post in this thread, but work in historic preservation and yours is a really interesting question. A way to approach it is that things like your trailer change over time to meet the needs of the current owner. Done well, they can make the trailer more interesting by telling a story. Generally, I'd say save the things that really set it apart and define the character of a 1951 trailer- the windows, the metal cabinets, the shape of the table. The bed, I'd change that, but photo document everything- you can make a cool album/book through Apple or Shutterfly, and this becomes a historic document that is part of the trailer. If you can or are so inclined, make a measured drawing of the bed or whatever else you remove. I kind of agree with Crowman- there are some good reasons for the way it was done in the first place, and they are only this way once. I would imagine, like a collector car that is original, if you can maintain the feeling of it, it will have significant value. Colors and materials, adding functionality through power upgrades and other utilities is a super idea. It would be great if there was a way to integrate and AC unit into the trailer, rather than on the roof- something like a Propex heater but AC. I'm so envious of you, these are so rare and have such a sense of "moving into the future". I hope you get many years of enjoyment out of it.
Old 01-04-2015, 03:53 PM   #46
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Bartlett , Illinois
I really appreciate all the responses with some excellent advise. What to do has been a struggle and I have done extensive research to try and figure this out. It brought me here. Even though I don't have an AS the same principles apply and there is a wealth of knowledge here . So thank you all for that.
So my current thoughts are first verify the frame is solid. Then check the axle and brakes . I may ask separately about using a 63 YO axle. The front and rear alien windows need replacing. All the other windows need seals and one has a broken pane. The door works fine but needs a seal. I have retrofitted new LED lights into the original rear turn signals to give me a safer rear end! I'll fix the fridge, the stove and heater work. The two roof vents will be replaced with Fantastic fans. All the original cabinets will stay. The beds will stay as 2 twins with period correct fabric. New solid vinyl floor. I already bought that. I will add a battery, a 12 volt power supply and hide it in the kitchen cabinets. The new water tank (12gal) will go back under the dinette and I may add an instant (110) hot water heater to the sink. No bathroom. There was not one so all I will do is add a porta potty to the large closet. It will perch on the wheel well. When the door opens it closes off the back half of the trailer that is the bedroom so there would be privacy. While doing the electrical update I will pull in Coaxial cable for TV. The antenna will be remote and not attached to the trailer. I do this now with my Teardrop and it works well. The inside metal needs a new paint job. The front and rear above your head is flaking. I'll try to find correct paint, maybe Zolatone.
Sandblast and paint the rims red and get the Moons re plated or replaced. Shine it up. The unknowns will show up as I go along.

If I have overlooked anything let me know. I value the opinions of those that traveled this path before me. I will order the parts I can now so when the weather warms up I can get started with the work.

Thanks again!
Steve
Bluestar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 07:08 AM   #47
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Steve,
I think we all would like to see pictures as you progress..... Any Airstream is cool, yours is in the Awesome category. Have fun with it.
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 09:35 AM   #48
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Bartlett , Illinois
Will do. I am doing my planning and collecting parts now and will get started when the weather warms. I will post my progress.
Bluestar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 04:17 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Restore or renovate? I think it depends on weather you want to show it or use it. My 66 Trade Wind is nothing special and I am renovating so its a comfortable traveler. It will look like a 60s Airstream but keep you comfortable at night.

Your 51 trailer is very rare, kinda like a Tucker automobile or a 53 Corvette. I'm glad you are planning mild upgrades and keeping the original layouts and appliances. Your trailer will draw a crowd no matter where you go.

Keep us posted as you go. There are a couple of interesting Liner rebuild projects in these Forums that you have probably checked out already.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote