Old 10-31-2013, 09:08 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Portland , Oregon
Replacing Streamline furnace

Has anybody here replaced the furnace in their Streamline?

A local RV tech said the Suburban NT30 is the closest replacement but I will need to run a third duct to use it safely.

I found one on sale locally and will go measure the existing International furnace before I buy, but wondering if anybody knows of a how-to or has any tips.

Thanks!
Ian

Old 10-31-2013, 11:02 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I called the Surbanban factory back when I was trying to find a replacement for the NT-22 in my 68. The service tech at the factroy told me the same thing about the NT-30 needed 3 outlets. My Trade Wind had only 2 outlets. After a lot to thinking about it, I did not replace the propane furnace. The freed up cabinet space is where we store the microwave when we are traveling. We use one or two small electric heaters when we camp in cold weather and they do fine since we don't venture out in the Airstream much when it is going to be really cold for prolonged periods. I have a Mr. Buddy catalytic that I use when on the rare ocassion we are at a campsite with no electic hook up. Had I been able to find a direct replacement I would have but now after 3 years without a propane furnace I can say I have yet to miss it.

68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
TAC-MS-3
KF5IMA
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:27 AM   #3
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
You could use an NT-20SQ, which would be a closer match. It is smaller than the NT-30, and while I can't find a definitive answer in a brief search, I suspect it only requires two ducts.

Suburban 19,000 BTU NT-SQ Ducted Furnace - Furnaces - Furnaces - RV Appliances

It's 19,000 BTU/h which should be plenty in a 26' trailer for anything short of serious winter camping (e.g. temps in the single digits at night)
Old 10-31-2013, 01:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
What make and model furnace are you replacing? Do you have any pictures of the old one showing the ductwork. That would give us a better take on what would fit. Is installing a 3rd duct a big problem? Just aim it into the center of the hall or whatever is closest to the furnace.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:28 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Portland , Oregon
I picked up the new NT30 today and I think I can make it work. The old furnace is an International, not sure of the model number. It draws air in the front (under the stove) and blows the hot air out two rectangular ducts on either side at the back. And of course it vents the gasses outside.

The new Suburban has it's outlets near the front. The one on the right side will be easy, it only has to go 2 inches then through the bottom of the cabinet and point at the dinette. The second outlet will require an adapter to mate up to the old duct that goes back to the bathroom. I will add a third duct and have it come out under the sink, or in the bedroom.

I will take a few photos tomorrow which should help. We have done fine with just an electric heater so far, but I would like to be able to do more boondocking and camping at sites with no hookups (state and federal parks) without requiring our 2 year old to sleep in her winter coat. BTDT. I figure with misc ducts and parts this will cost me about $400, and should add to the resale value when we sell someday.

I will add photos as I go, I know it's hard to picture without them.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:03 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Portland , Oregon
We're heading out again in a few weeks for another trips, so my task is to get the furnace up and running.

So far I have the old furnace out, and have half a plan for installing the new Suburban.

The biggest issue will be the ducts, and the exterior skin.

For the ducts, I now plan to just rip out the old ducts, and run all new 4" insulated ducts. One straight back to the bathroom, one to the middle of the bedroom, and one or two into the dinette area.

We will likely lose a little storage space under the sink since the new ducts will run at the front of the cabinet, and the old duct ran along the back of the kitchen cabinet. But really didn't use that space much anyway.

Same on the dinette side of the furnace, the old duct ran along the back, the new one will likely run along the front, through the small towel rack cabinet. Again, not a big deal.

Running the gas pipe shouldn't be hard, a few new bends should do it. I do need access to the shutoff valve now, so I will leave out a panel.

But one other issue I have to resolve is the outside skin. The full panel came off with the old furnace. I'm going to figure out if I can seperate the two, then cut a new hold in the middle for a flat piece of steel/aluminum. Rivet that in, then cut a hold for the Suburban vents.

If anybody else has been down this road, I'd love to hear your thoughts. I have some photos I will upload, they are currently on my phone.

After I get this done I only have to fix a vent, black water valve, do a little painting, and we're off!