Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin

Old 09-20-2013, 07:57 AM   #1
Streamline Owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Indianapolis , Indiana
Remind Me WHY I Wanted To Full-Time In A Vintage Kin Again? Please!

LOL

Don't get me wrong, I love my Streamline! And, I've been through a lot to get to where I can say I'm finally a full-timer.

However...

After all night of Arkansas rain...I have two significant roof leaks that didn't show up when we were calmly parked in the driveway of my parents' house in Indiana.

I started this thread for two reasons (probably more, but two I'll share).

1. I'm sure I'll have other minor issues on the road.

2. I can't be the only vintage kin full-timer who will need a kind word now and again.

Swimming in my trailer....
Julianne

Old 09-20-2013, 09:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Even new RV's leak, all of them sooner or later. With 3,000 holes punched in the shell for rivets and bunches of big holes in the roof, we would be foolish to expect anything watertight, at least for long.

A selection of appropriate sealants is part of the tool kit. On the other hand you don't have to reshingle your roof after a wind storm.

doug

Old 09-20-2013, 10:43 AM   #3

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
With 3,000 holes punched in the shell for rivets and bunches of big holes in the roof, we would be foolish to expect anything watertight, at least for long.
I dunno, Doug; that's something like $33.33 a hole for a new one selling at $100,000.

Maybe the plant needs to run a contest, or pay a bonus for the fewest leaks.

As for the OP's leaky camping after a dry driveway stay, well, that's just Murphy's law, isn't it?

A beautiful thing is never perfect.
-- Egyptian
Aage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:35 PM   #4
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolavalkyrie View Post
I have two significant roof leaks that didn't show up when we were calmly parked in the driveway of my parents' house in Indiana.
Identifying all the problems in any rig, old or new, requires actual camping in a variety of conditions that actually require and therefore actually test everything about the rig. It's frustrating and requires patience.

Can't find leaks on a sunny day
Can't find A/C problems in the winter
etc.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Jammer is right. You have to use the trailer to find the problems. This is even a requirement on brand new trailers.
Since it appears that the manufacturers do not have a QC or QA department. After all! Why should they pay an employee a wage for something that you will do for free?
I am sooo glad these manufacturers are not building space ships or air planes.
Imagine if a device failed while in space and when you called. They said. Oh! "Just fly it 52,000 miles to Jackson Center and we will put you in the first come first serve list"
I know you have a vintage unit. But believe me. You are not experiencing anything different from owning a new one.
I don't care what brand it is.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:51 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
Once you rebuild a vintage trailer you not only know what is in it, you know that it was done right. That is something that you can't say when you buy a new one. Besides, the quality is so bad on some of the new ones that even some of the old vintage trailers are better before they are rebuilt.

There is nothing like an old vintage, silver trailer, no matter what brand it is.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:49 PM   #7
Streamline Owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Indianapolis , Indiana
Wow! If the QC is so bad on the new trailers why do people purchase them? At Leary on my sweetie I'm not afraid to dig in and find out what's wrong. On a new one is be afraid of voiding the warranty our something.

I'll go back to - I love my Streamline!

However, every once in awhile the totally crazy, panic driven female in me comes roaring to the foreground....like when I step in a puddle of water at 3am, in the dark, in the bathroom.

That the problem can be fixed?

Without a doubt!

Man made it. Woman can fix it.

It's just nice to get a little neighborly input when you're far from home.

And, I agree, you can't diagnose leaks on a sunny day....and, you have to have a shakedown period. But, we had huge driving rains in Indiana with no leaks. lease send cheese for my whine:

Just, was hoping for a day or two of quiet after the previous catastrophe is all.

Julianne
Old 09-20-2013, 10:04 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
They buy them based on the name. Most people (including myself) did not do enough research to find the history.
Again! The brand doesn't matter. They all have their problems.
We all know that RV's are relatively high maintenance. You would think that the designers (and I use the term loosely) would know this as well. So why is it they locate items like the converter and/or water pump in some deep dark corner? Place a furnace in such a way that the counter has to be disassembled to get it out?
People with the basic electrical and mechanical skills can do 90 % of their own maintenance and repair. Repair of the skin or frame do require specific skills.
Those that lack the skills will normally hire the work done. Which can become pretty costly.
Even warrantee repair can be a hassle.
Purchase is in many cases based on the name brand. The price, etc. But just because you pay more doesn't mean you get your money's worth.
There are a limited number of Suppliers for the typical equipment used in RV's, such as pumps, water heaters, appliances in general. So! Whether you pay $20K or $80K for your trailer. Chances are, the items mentioned above are the same or very similar. Names like Atwood, Suburban, Coleman, Norcold, Dometic are common. No matter what brand of trailer you purchase.
Some brands of trailers boast that their units are hand made by skilled craftsmen. The truth is that ALL are hand made since they are not assembled by a machine or process.
Think of it this way. Unless you are a full timer or close to it. The trailer will sit in your driveway or a storage area close to 11 months out of a year. The majority of people won't keep the unit for more than a few years.
People today buy a new car or truck every 5 years, paying from $20K to $50K for a new one. They don't give it a second thought. Most use their vehicle every day.
So! Why would buying an RV be any different?
Lets's say you have budgeted $75K to purchase a unit. And plan to own it for 20 years. Obviously you will have a 20 year old unit at the end of this period. For the same amount of money, you could buy between 3 and 4 new units and have one that is 5 to 7 years old in the end. Much like you do with a car or truck.
In the end it is an individual choice.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:54 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
If designers wanted them to last a long time they would make more of them today out of aluminum like the old ones that are still around after about 50 years. They want to make a quick buck and all the RV has to do is last past the warranty. Some don't even do that.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:18 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
My son has my '69 Shasta. It is still road worthy after 44+ years. They don't necessarily have to be made out of aluminum to last.
There are a lot of "Canned Hams" still on the road.
This would be true for most if they were taken care of.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:12 AM   #11
Vintage Kin

Corpus Christi , Texas
"Remind Me WHY I Wanted To Full-Time In A Vintage Kin Again? Please!"

I have at least one leak on my much newer 1990 Silver Streak and am waiting out the heat to completely re-seal the roof. I suspect the culprit is one or both of the awning rails that allow water down into the walls for the leak from the belly pan. Plus the major roof panel seam seals. So, a call to FASTENAL for some TREMPRO 635 (or, Sonolastic NP 1, 3M 540 or Sikaflex 221 -- per Top -- at some supply house. Probably VTS has them; these are polyurethane sealants) to remove awnings/rails and get to them. Then close to 600' of new seal along along all sides. Etc. These leaks aren't new . . and I do not look forward to examining the full extent of the damages done. That said, one bites the bullet.

I bought "vintage kin" due to superiority in some respects (there are drawbacks, too) and due to familiarity. Lower price per condition than a comparable A/S is huge . . and less or no structural work more than pays the price, lets/ remember. The problems are from age and less-than-ideal conditions via previous owners and any factory mistakes. My time and labor versus a "new" TT I could not afford without substantial debt.

As one divorced less than two years I'll take the opportunity to move anywhere essentially debt-free to look over new living or work possibilities and easily move on if they don't suit. The goal for the TT along the way is to be able to boondock up to two weeks without other inputs.

The larger picture was to have a TT-TV combo that was a low initial cost with, then, low operating costs whether in motion or at rest. As that is a large requirement set, it may take some $$$ to get there. So I have "debt" in a manner of speaking . . and I hope that "debt service" will happen as I can get 'round to it. On my schedule, not that of anothers as with a bank note.

With a son soon to exit the military and likely to attend grad school on one coast or another, Dad (maybe someday "Grandad") is happy to think that he can either visit more frequently for longer periods or even move to the same region . . . so all of these small candles (debt-free, low-cost-travel, adaptability, etc) all cast more light, together, than the constricted choice made by many in starting again in life. Or so I hope (that four letter word).

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:19 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Alachua county , Florida
Eternabond tape, sealed every thing that came through my roof on my fifty year old Avion. Good stuff. Next is trying to seal the old jalousy windows. You can do this just do not get discouraged, Jim
Old 09-22-2013, 06:20 AM   #13
Full Time Alumaloafer

1966 24' Tradewind
Campbellsville , Kentucky
As a new full-timer in a vintage A/S my wife and I have owned for over 2 years, I am now working on a list of items to attend to that weren't evident even after numerous short trips. I would not expect a stationary stick-built home to be maintenance-free, so my expectation is that the mobile, light-weight and designed-to-be-used-occasionally A/S will require regular attention. On a positive note, the information, support and parts availability for these rigs is second-to-none. In the hand full of years as a canned ham owner, I was never able to find answers or suppliers for a few niggling things. This hasn't been the case for the rig we have now. If all out fails, you purchased an aluminum travel trailer that will likely retain or gain in value over time, unlike 99% of the items you can buy.

Phillipians 4:13
louaxtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:07 AM   #14
Streamline Owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Indianapolis , Indiana
The sun is shining, the sky is an awesome shade of blue and I finally have the sopping wet towels out air drying.

Today is a much better day.

Thank you so much to everyone who has responded.

The problems of the dark of night always look less daunting in the light of day.

Not to hijack my own thread or anything....however..... :looks around innocently: I have silver, presumably, aluminum paint on the roof. I did some hunting in the forums last night and came up empty on the best way to handle that. I know I can just slap more on there...anyone have experiences to share?

I also have two fantastic fans to install. I presume (totally clueless here) that it would be best to install them first and then do the roof repair?

Julianne