Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-26-2017, 01:50 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Lewster, that is awesome! That should be a real beauty without too much effort, will you be going the original route or modernizing it? Can't wait for more pictures... Good luck
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 02:12 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Thumb Area , Michigan
Thumbs up Congratulations

Wow Cool! What a project.
uluwene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 03:13 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2024 25' Trade Wind
Bothell , Washington
Lew,

Congrats. I'm sure with your eye for detail and your amazing work quality, this will be a great build.

Not sure where you find the time to do all the solar/electrical installs and now this.

Congrats and best of luck.

Chuck
charlesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 03:38 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Congrats! Couldn't do this this easy way, could you.

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 04:06 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Fresno/Clovis , California
Awesome find. Wish I had the room for one.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:14 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
This will be one cool solar powered nicely done electrical trailer. Congrats Lewster.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 07:59 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mount Angel , Oregon
Congratulations! There is nothing like a new project to keep a person happily hummin' along. I am marking this, as I'm sure it is going to be
one interesting thread to follow. Can't wait to see your progress, whatever the speed.

Susan
duncans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 08:28 PM   #28

1988 34' Excella
Monteagle , Tennessee
Currently Looking

Hi congrats on your great find! We have a '56 Spartan Royal Mansion and are currently renovating to use for a family member staying with us. We've even added a tiny wood burning stove!
I look forward to your pics.
Tyndale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 11:32 PM   #29
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Good to here from you on the forum. You and your new project must be in Hood, OR by now. Were did you find such a jewel, around there or on the way from Naples? The trees look like OR. Ditto all the comments. I sure want see it when you are done.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 08:52 AM   #30
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Awesome, Lew.

Living vicariously, Pat.

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 09:56 AM   #31
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Thanks for the kind words folks!

The trailer was found by a friend that is into Vintage aluminum who sent me the link from Craig's List. Actually, it was an hour south of Portland, so the timing and location just seemed right. The same fellow has owned it...using it solely for storage, for the last 28 years and it even has a title!!!!! BIG PLUS RIGHT THERE.

It will need some panel replacement, especially in the front and an immediate tongue replacement as a prior owner (not the one I'm buying it from) replaced the original Spartan tongue (which seem to be a bit short causing easy jack-knifing) with a 5' long, narrow weird looking unit. It sure does look solid though.......

The 7-leaf axle suspension looks OK but I'll probably replace it with a new torsion unit with integral disc brakes. Glass, front plastic wrap windows, POR-15 the frame......you know the drill. Get the exterior weather tight and on to the interior.

Yep.......never the easy way!!! ..........but at least I'll know it was done to my specifications. All electrical will be to marine standard using marine components and solar?????????? GREAT IDEA!!!!!!

I'm already looking at floor alternatives like interlocking aluminum extrusions To provide a base for Marmoleum or similar coverings. Maybe a hydronically heated floor too........ So many options!!!!!!

I'm retrieving it later today so we'll see how it tows.

More shots later..........................
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 09:41 AM   #32
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Got the Spartan back to my Hood River shop yesterday. Very light traffic thru Portland, so it proved to be a good test to tow it back the 100 miles from it's prior resting place.

No issues on towing, but a PO added a 6' tongue at some point over 30 years ago which will be removed in favor of a 'real' Spartan tongue. I placed a couple of temporary plastic wing windows for the trip. The fit is interesting as the 2 vertical sides are not in the same plane......requiring the final replacements to me made of flexible Lexan.

And really, what's a water heater doing in the bedroom wall?????? Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction!!!!

Here are some additional shots of the rig:
Attached Images

Old 05-28-2017, 10:53 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Thanks for the kind words folks!

The trailer was found by a friend that is into Vintage aluminum who sent me the link from Craig's List. Actually, it was an hour south of Portland, so the timing and location just seemed right. The same fellow has owned it...using it solely for storage, for the last 28 years and it even has a title!!!!! BIG PLUS RIGHT THERE.

It will need some panel replacement, especially in the front and an immediate tongue replacement as a prior owner (not the one I'm buying it from) replaced the original Spartan tongue (which seem to be a bit short causing easy jack-knifing) with a 5' long, narrow weird looking unit. It sure does look solid though.......

The 7-leaf axle suspension looks OK but I'll probably replace it with a new torsion unit with integral disc brakes. Glass, front plastic wrap windows, POR-15 the frame......you know the drill. Get the exterior weather tight and on to the interior.

Yep.......never the easy way!!! ..........but at least I'll know it was done to my specifications. All electrical will be to marine standard using marine components and solar?????????? GREAT IDEA!!!!!!

I'm already looking at floor alternatives like interlocking aluminum extrusions To provide a base for Marmoleum or similar coverings. Maybe a hydronically heated floor too........ So many options!!!!!!

I'm retrieving it later today so we'll see how it tows.

More shots later..........................
Great news that you snagged a Spartan Manor 25. Here are some photos of one that parked next to me at Linnville Falls on the Blue Ridge Parkway last summer. I had never seen a Spartan on the road before.

Glad to hear that you will be installing disk brakes. I am in the process of doing this right now with new Dexter Axles from Colin Hyde. I am going with the Tuson Actuator pump and Kodiak disk brakes.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 11:06 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Spartan Photos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2493 (1).jpg
Views:	89
Size:	443.7 KB
ID:	286369   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2494 (1).jpg
Views:	96
Size:	412.7 KB
ID:	286370  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2495 (1).jpg
Views:	85
Size:	266.2 KB
ID:	286371  
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 11:44 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Calary , Alberta
Wow that's an oldie. Are you towing it or going to park it?
LifeinaTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 09:09 AM   #36
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeinaTube View Post
Wow that's an oldie. Are you towing it or going to park it?
I'll be taking it back to FL when I head back at the end of Sep't. My initial mission is to get the old beast road worthy (probably including a new Torsion axle with discs), new tongue, wheels and tires, and sealing it up to be weather tight. I intend to use it for travel so even in the form of an 'aluminum tent', it will be following me on my cross-country trips.

Then starts the outside work of re-sheeting where required and working out the many small dents in the compound curved sections once back in FL.

The one shown above has had some major exterior work done to it, but I also have the fender skirts for it! Nice touch!!!

Can't wait to get started!!!
Old 05-29-2017, 11:12 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Queens , New York
Dang

That should keep you busy and out of trouble for a while. Good luck Lew.
Dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 09:14 AM   #38
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
That should keep you busy and out of trouble for a while. Good luck Lew.
yah............probably for the next few years......