Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-13-2016, 06:02 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Waddell , Arizona
Newbie with a few (Avion) questions

So, I've always planned to replace my little teardrop camper with an Airstream when I was ready to hit the road full-time. I'm finally at a point in my career where I can be semi-nomadic. I started my search, but then, a few months ago, I set foot in a friend's 1987 Avion 32s and fell completely in love. I love the look and quality of Avions, and I really like the front kitchen floor plan. I've scoured the classifieds, but this seems to be a hard model to find. I found one that looks promising, but it is a 1990. From what I've read on various forums, the '89/90 models seem to have problems. My question is: what are they? I know the exterior was treated differently, but beyond that is there anything I should be concerned about?

My other question: it looks like I'll have to spend part of the winter in a city that has average lows around 15-20 degrees. I know Avions are better insulated than Airstreams, but is this doable? I'll have full hookups and I'll insulate the hoses and skirt the trailer. Is it possible to live comfortably in one of these in a cold climate? Will I spend $500/month in propane?

Thanks for your advice!
janjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 05:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Never heard that about those years. Avions are better insulated, but that's pretty cold. If you have hookups you can supplement the heat by using an electric heater also.remember that using the furnace also heats the tanks to some extent,. How much lp depends on your choice of temperature. With hookups you can cut down on lp use dramatically and still keep your tanks from freezing. Good luck
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 06:19 AM   #3

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...

I know of no specific problems with 89/90 era Avions. Fleetwwod stopped building the traditional silver Avion in 1990 as they were deemed too expensive to continue.

As for propane costs. I'd use portable electric heaters is possible supplemented with propane. This is typically a cheaper heating method.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 06:54 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
What I've read is that from 1988 Avion stopped using the Adjust-A-Ride axles, as a cost cutting measure, and used an cheaper axle, which should be replaced every 20 years or so.
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 09:23 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I think you're right.
Old 10-14-2016, 02:06 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Waddell , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
What I've read is that from 1988 Avion stopped using the Adjust-A-Ride axles, as a cost cutting measure, and used an cheaper axle, which should be replaced every 20 years or so.
That may be a problem. Thanks.
Old 10-14-2016, 02:11 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Waddell , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin245 View Post
As for propane costs. I'd use portable electric heaters is possible supplemented with propane. This is typically a cheaper heating method.
That's a good idea. I like it a little chilly when I sleep anyway, so if I can run the propane just enough to keep everything from freezing and supplement with a space heater, that might work. Thanks.
Old 10-14-2016, 04:57 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
San Antonio , Texas
We have been in that type of weather a few times in our 78, 28J, just had to double up the insulation on the fresh water hose and had a heat cord on the sewage hose
Ralph12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 07:01 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Racine , Wisconsin
A gentleman I met who sold Avions for 37 years said from 87 on the quality was not the same.
Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 08:29 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
My daughter has an '82, I had an '84, and now have an '88 32S. I really don't see any difference in the quality in that span of years. The main thing is how it was maintained.

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 06:23 PM   #11
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post

Torsion axle. Same as AS. Better than previous systems as to handling and stability. Al-Ko brand.

I'd grab one of the late ones without reservation. With any trailer this age or older it's about water damage as well as exterior skin condition. Everything else is less of a problem to fix.

As to 15-20F temps, that's asking a lot. Even without running water.

Temps that dip that low are one thing, but extended temps below freezing are another. It's a whole host of problems to consider.

Might be best to winterize in place and rent a room a couple of months.

1990 35' Silver Streak
2004 555 Cummins
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 12:08 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
We were boondocking in the high elevations of Montana outside Yellowstone two weeks ago. There was some snow on the ground, but the temps didn’t get much below freezing. We left the rear furnace running much of the night, and were quite comfortable. It was pretty windy too. If you’re in low temps only part of the winter, you should be comfortable. The tanks are meant to be kept warm by the propane furnaces, but if the interior is heated to a comfortable temperature with electric heaters, there should be enough radiant heat to keep the tanks warm enough too; especially if the trailer is skirted.

There is some speculation that the end of production in ‘89 may have been lower quality due to the workers knowing they’d be losing their jobs at the end of the run. But no specific issues have been noted. The 89-90 models have electroplated aluminum which should be more resilient than anodized aluminum, and resist getting chalky.
Old 10-29-2016, 06:42 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Personally, I would buy a 1988-89 Avion in a heart beat and would not be concerned about quality one bit. Any Avion is the the pinnacle of quality and workmanship.
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 10:34 AM   #14
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Agreed with no concern over final model Avions. Plus, true independent suspension as a bonus.

The downside of Avion versus other vintage kin is reduced storage. I can pack far more into a pre-1988 28' Silver Streak or Streamline than into a 34' Avion. And, appliance access is worse.

At the age of any of these units, it comes down to condition. Past skin appearance the big concerns are internal water damage from external leaks (and expect to replace grey poly plumbing with PEX as a preventative), electrical wire damage in walls, and insect or rodent damage.

1990 35' Silver Streak
2004 555 Cummins
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 02:22 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Agreed with no concern over final model Avions. Plus, true independent suspension as a bonus.

The downside of Avion versus other vintage kin is reduced storage. I can pack far more into a pre-1988 28' Silver Streak or Streamline than into a 34' Avion. And, appliance access is worse.

At the age of any of these units, it comes down to condition. Past skin appearance the big concerns are internal water damage from external leaks (and expect to replace grey poly plumbing with PEX as a preventative), electrical wire damage in walls, and insect or rodent damage.

1990 35' Silver Streak
2004 555 Cummins
I have a 1988 32S. I don't know what 34 footer you saw, but the amount of storage in my trailer is amazing. My daughter has a 34 footer & she has empty cabinets when packed for 2 weeks with 2 children. I had lots of empty ones when packed for 2 weeks. This is just the kitchen cabinets in my trailer ....tons of roomClick image for larger version

Name:	1365.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	300.4 KB
ID:	274528

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 10-30-2016, 03:56 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Never been able to fill all the space in our 30 ft Avion. Much more storage than any of the AS I owned. Don't know about vintage kin. Avions were advertised as trailers to travel extensively with and also something to spend extended times stationary. Storage inside and out is amazing.
Old 10-30-2016, 06:28 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Waddell , Arizona
Thanks!

I appreciate all the advice. I'm in the process of putting down a deposit for my Avion! If everything goes well, I should have it within a week or two.

My plans have changed, and while I still plan on living in it, it doesn't look like I'll be taking it on the road quite yet. I plan on spending most of a year in it in a much more temperate climate before travelling, which should give me a chance to shake out all the bugs. I'm so excited!
Old 10-30-2016, 06:31 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Waddell , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky B. View Post
I have a 1988 32S. I don't know what 34 footer you saw, but the amount of storage in my trailer is amazing. My daughter has a 34 footer & she has empty cabinets when packed for 2 weeks with 2 children. I had lots of empty ones when packed for 2 weeks. This is just the kitchen cabinets in my trailer ....tons of roomAttachment 274528
I've been following your restoration thread for this trailer. It's absolutely beautiful!
Old 10-30-2016, 07:27 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by janjess View Post
I've been following your restoration thread for this trailer. It's absolutely beautiful!
Thanks....it's coming along! My daughter-in-law just bought one too. That makes 3 of us in our family with them. We love the space!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 10-30-2016, 10:03 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Torsion axle. Same as AS. Better than previous systems as to handling and stability.

My understanding, from speaking with Chuck Cayo, is that the best Avion suspension is the MorRyde, with the second best being the Adjust-A-Ride, and then the torsion axle like Airstream uses. My understanding is that the MorRyde and Adjust-A-Ride are superior because they actually offer a true independent suspension.

I also find my 84 Avion 30R has an enormous amount of storage compared to my prior 79 Airstream Sovereign.
KYAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote