Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-13-2016, 11:05 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

loveland , Ohio
Newbie with 1985 30p

Well we have purchased an 85 avion 30p. We love it. After looking at so many new campers with my parents, I stumbled upon avion. I looked last weekend at a 34w and the guy said it was ours. So I was going to meet him the next day with cash. But I received a text that he sold it to another guy for $300 more. A little frustrated and I started searching again. I then found our current avion. I have had to fix a water leak which has lead me to remove both layers of the floor plus replace the solid wood and the plywood from the front corner to the fridge. I've removed an area about 24"wide. It's a job but we'll worth it.
I've been reading about ertanabond for seams. I was looking at either great or alumibond. Not sure which one looks better, any thoughts?
mforce12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 07:32 AM   #2
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Newbie with 1985 30p

Congratulations on your Avion 30P! Sorry you missed the 34W, but some sellers are like that even if you've made arrangements to buy. Who knows? Maybe he did you a favor by selling it to someone else. If he's not honest about the sale, no telling what other problems he could be hiding.

You will get varying opinions about Eternabond tape for seam sealing, but I and several others have had good results with it. From my own experience, I will recommend the 4" AlumiBond because I like the fact that the surface that shows is silver like the skin of the trailer. Spend the time to get a good clean surface to adhere to. Follow their instructions and you'll be fine. After I cleaned the roof seams on our 34W, I raised the seam ever so slightly as to be able to shoot a bead of ParBond in the seam before I covered it with AlumiBond. I also cleaned every rivet head on the roof and covered each one with a small square of the tape.

I spent 3 full days doing our roof but the time was well spent. If it EVER leaks, I'll be surprised.

Adding a link to pictures of our roof project:

http://www.airforums.com/photos/brow...c=3530&userid=

PaulnGina
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke

Not "lucky"....... BLESSED!!!!!!
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 07:46 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

loveland , Ohio
Thanks. I was wondering if alumibond in the silver color was a good match or the regular gray color? I'm ordering the parabond as well. Any other sealant I should be aware of? I plan to seal it the put the floor back together so that my new wood don't get wet before I get it sealed.
Old 08-14-2016, 08:24 AM   #4
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Newbie with 1985 30p

Quote:
Originally Posted by mforce12 View Post
Thanks. I was wondering if alumibond in the silver color was a good match or the regular gray color? I'm ordering the parabond as well. Any other sealant I should be aware of? I plan to seal it the put the floor back together so that my new wood don't get wet before I get it sealed.

Other than the AlumiBond and the ParBond, I didn't need any other sealant for the roof. Be aware that in addition to the roof seams, other very common places that are sources of leaks are: the foam seal under the air conditioner (you'll be removing the top half of the A/C while you do the roof seams, so get a new A/C seal.).... The upper brackets on the Zip-Dee main awning.... The front rock guard hinge that is riveted to the body of the trailer just above the front window.... Running light bases...... Radio antenna base..... And one of the hardest to find leak sources that I had was the main awning rail that is riveted to the trailer... I had to seal completely around that rail with ParBond to eliminate rain getting wicked through rivet holes from the underneath edge of that bracket. Might have been sufficient to just seal the first few inches of the lower edge, but I did the entire length anyway.

The only other sealant I have used was some form of a Sika brand product to seal between the frame and the aluminum skin at the lower front and rear of the trailer. I'll try to find the exact product I used.... It did a fine job.

( You are going to be glad you "stumbled across" your Avion!! )

If you need any more pictures of the roof work, I would be glad to get detail shots of anything you'd like.... Like maybe around the roof vents???
Just be sure you clean off any dirt, debris, algae, etc.... And ESPECIALLY any silicone caulk that a previous owner might have used. The AlumiBond tape will not stick to silicone. Sticks like crazy to any other clean surface I've put it on, so you better have it where you want it when you lay it down! They also have a roller available to help make a good seal..... Very worthwhile tool.

PaulnGina
1987 Avion 34W

Old 08-14-2016, 09:49 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

loveland , Ohio
PaulnGinna:
Thank you! If you knows the silkaflex you used that would be great. I have a major leak atoms the vent that it right about the fridge cabinet. I thought it was the ac but nope, the sealant I'd cracked as the garden hose showed! I had water in the belly pan doors and I think it was from the awning bracket. I would like to reseal the windows as well. On the windows, the door window don't seat all the way. On the inside of the door, the metal is showing. I can't push the window all the way through. Was the original window plastic? Or door window is.
Is the a way to fix dents? A tree hit the side when the previous owner had it and it seems that the Gray bondo used is falling out
Old 08-14-2016, 10:00 AM   #6
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
For the leak near the fridge, suspect the area where the fridge vent comes through the roof. I took that vent cover off and sealed the upper and side seams with ParBond and AlumiBond tape.... Just used ParBond on the lower edge. I eventually replaced the fridge vent cover with one I bought from Vintage Trailer Supply. That's another good place to seal holes where that vent cap is fastened to the roof. Check/seal around anything that comes through the roof. All time spent doing a good job will be rewarded with lots of years of non-worry about the roof.

PaulnGina
1987 Avion 34W

Old 08-15-2016, 07:27 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

loveland , Ohio
[QUOTE=PaulnGina;1835101]For the leak near the fridge, suspect the area where the fridge vent comes through the roof. I took that vent cover off and sealed the upper and side seams with ParBond and AlumiBond tape.... Just used ParBond on the lower edge. I eventually replaced the fridge vent cover with one I bought from Vintage Trailer Supply. That's another good place to seal holes where that vent cap is fastened to the roof. Check/seal around anything that comes through the roof. All time spent doing a good job will be rewarded with lots of years of non-worry about the roof.

I have ordered the eternabond alumnibond 4"x50' from zoro tools. Now I am getting ready to order the par bond off of vintage trailer. Do I need the silkaflex for the body seams that run along the side? What about the windows? Just preparing for a day of sealing!
Old 08-15-2016, 09:20 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

loveland , Ohio
Would the vulkem 116 work for the body sides? I can get it local tomorrow but its $12 a tube or homedepot has it for $6 yet I'll have it in two weeks! Any thoughts? We do have a leaky front window it seams..."yes that's a misspell"!
Old 08-15-2016, 09:40 AM   #9
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
"Seams" like Vulkem 116 is what I used on that gap at the frame.... And that's where I got it. Went on nicely and doesn't sag. 😀

I haven't tackled any of the vertical seams on our trailer.... No sign of any leaks there, although some of the sealer looks brittle.

I worked on the seal around our front window. Dug out what I could with things like a small knife blade and a pick... Whatever I could get in there. Then used butyl tape and squashed it into the gap. Used ParBond around the rock guard hinge bracket after I had cleaned that area well.

PaulnGina
1987 Avion 34W

Old 08-15-2016, 10:25 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulnGina View Post
... Be aware that in addition to the roof seams, other very common places that are sources of leaks are: the foam seal under the air conditioner (you'll be removing the top half of the A/C while you do the roof seams, so get a new A/C seal.)....
I seem to have covered all the trouble spots you mentioned but this foam seal.
Do you happen to have a photo of this foam seal (so I know what exactly you are referring to) or a link to where I can buy it from?

BTW, I followed your advice on sealing the roof and it turned out great (Thanks again!). Photo attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0051.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	406.3 KB
ID:	269147  
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 10:37 AM   #11
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Newbie with 1985 30p

Here is an Amazon link to the 14"X 14" foam seal..... This is what was on the bottom of our AC against the roof.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-25071-U.../dp/B000EDUTNQ

Just about any RV shop should have these.

PaulnGina
1987 Avion 34W

Old 08-15-2016, 10:41 AM   #12
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Newbie with 1985 30p

BTW.... That roof job looks fantastic. Now you can sit back and just dare it to leak again!

PaulnGina
1987 Avion 34W

Old 08-15-2016, 10:52 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

loveland , Ohio
Thank you. I just ordered 2 tubes of parbond and 2 tubes of trempro 635 from vintage trailer supply. Now I will get the foam seal. Since I had to remove some flooring I will have to replace the 1 2/2"x1 1/2" poplar board that runs around the perimeter, so I will be replacing the screws as well. This is an area I will use some parbond on the screws as they are replaced back in.I'm kind of up on the air whether to use poplar or go overkill with a 2x4 pine which is wider. I like the wider board which would add in greater support at the door area.
Old 08-15-2016, 02:57 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulnGina View Post
BTW.... That roof job looks fantastic. Now you can sit back and just dare it to leak again!

PaulnGina
1987 Avion 34W

Thanks! I have since replaced the reflector lights, changed the running lights to LED, and sealed all lighting fixtures with parbond. Also sealed all the non-roof seams and window gaskets with parbond, and replaced the window glazing beads.
Old 08-19-2016, 09:35 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Jewell , Kansas
Wow. Such excellent work! I can't wait to get mine back from getting the new window installed so I can get to work too!

The journey is the destination!

1978 7.9 meter Avion

5.9 Cummings Dodge
Prairie Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 07:38 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

loveland , Ohio
[QUOTE=PaulnGina;1835588]Here is an Amazon link to the 14"X 14" foam seal..... This is what was on the bottom of our AC against the roof.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-25071-U.../dp/B000EDUTNQ

Just about any RV shop should have these.

Thank you sir! Also on the rivets around the vent for the fridge. I have tried the tape and the parabond and to no avail is it working. I am goint to remove the vent and reset it. I plan to clean the vent and use parabond and the tape with new rivets, is this the correct way?
Old 08-21-2016, 12:44 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Wind View Post
Wow. Such excellent work! I can't wait to get mine back from getting the new window installed so I can get to work too!

1978 7.9 meter Avion

5.9 Cummings Dodge
Gald to see another 1978 7.9 meter Avion owner! Avion seems to have manufactured so few of these. We have the center bath model (26-H). Is yours center or rear bath? (I believe those are called 26-F).
Old 08-21-2016, 09:03 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Jewell , Kansas
Center bath here too!! I love love love the back bedroom with the huge view. Does yours have the goofy chrome bumper on the back?

1978 Avion 26H

5.9 Cummings Dodge Ram
Prairie Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 04:23 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

loveland , Ohio
Paulngina..... Which rivets should I use for the fridge vent? Is there a particular size for the shroud then the vent with the screen under the shroud?
Old 08-25-2016, 08:17 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Wind View Post
Center bath here too!! I love love love the back bedroom with the huge view. Does yours have the goofy chrome bumper on the back?

1978 Avion 26H

5.9 Cummings Dodge Ram
Cool, our trailers are identical then! And yes, it has the goofy chrome bumper as well. We have twin beds in the back and a dinette in thr front. This was the layout we really really wanted.