Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-08-2016, 07:01 AM   #1

W , Wisconsin
Rivet Newbie looking to purchase vintage

Hi everyone!

I have been wanting to purchase a vintage Airstream for quite a while, and have done some research but apparently I have just hit the tip of the iceberg...... Before we take the plunge on purchase, I was wondering what advice you could give to a newbie?

I would prefer one of the smaller sized trailers, under 24' would be ideal.....

Are there any quirks with the different models I should be aware of?

Thank you!
HoneyBea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 07:22 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Dallas , Texas
My first advice is to read read and read some more. THere is a ton of info on this site and the web in general on the subject of vintage airstreams.

Depending on how handy you are, you might want a fixer upper or one that someone else has already one the work on.

If you get a fixer upper be prepared to spend lot of money bringing it back to par or spend less and have less of a camper.

If you are handy, have tools, have time, have money, and enjoy projects you will be in heaven. If you think you can pick up one for a couple of thousand and spend a couple more and be done in a month, you will be very dissapointed.

Again, read all you can, and look at photos of some of the projects on here. It will give you an idea of what you will be faced with should you choose a fixer upper.

Good luck and welcome. BTW the end result is worth it.
Alcoa Roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 07:34 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Lambertville , Michigan
Hi Honeybea,

Welcome!

I think a lot will depend on what your budget is? I think that really can be a deciding factor as far as what you are looking for and what you can get depending on what you have to spend.

I recently acquired a 18' Globetrotter. Adorable trailer and just the right size in my opinion. Not too small and not too big. The interior layout I absolutely love because when I was looking, a rear permanent bed was a must! This little trailer is only 2180 lbs so it tows like a dream.

I originally was looking at the newer models but unfortunately the financing on one wasn't appealing. One bank wouldn't finance anything older than 8 years and the interest rates I found were astronomical. I had cash but not enough to swing a newer model. Then I came upon the vintage AS that I could afford, although I did pay a premium price for it, but I figured anything in good shape I would be. I have 2 other vintage trailers (a 55 Bellwood that I'm selling and a 63 Yellowstone that I'm keeping) as well as a 2013 aluminum teardrop. Vintage has always been my first love though so it worked out in the end.

If you are looking for one that either has been restored or even semi restored and in camp ready condition, be prepared for a hefty price tag! Especially for the smaller ones.

One of the biggest things I've learned to look for is floor/frame issues. The floor can be obvious if there are soft spots which can lead one to believe that the frame may be suspect. However, since there is a belly pan covering the frame it's a challenge to actually inspect it. Fortunately, with the one I purchased it came with a lot of restoration photos, including ones of the frame.

Keep on researching and gather as much info as you can and you'll do fine. My husband and I have always wanted an Airstream and although it was a huge investment...life is short so buy the dang trailer LOL!

Here are a few pictures of ours. I'm currently working on decorating the interior so it's not finished yet. Still have curtains, new flooring to install, etc.,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tow1.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	213.0 KB
ID:	264023   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lounge1.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	276.8 KB
ID:	264024  

Click image for larger version

Name:	RearBedSM.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	875.1 KB
ID:	264025  
karvay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:17 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Taking on a vintage trailer is all about managing expectations. One very good and easy way to do that is to listen to the old episodes of the Vintage Airstream Podcast (The VAP). You can subscribe to the podcast and get the latest episodes, but the earliest episodes can be bought on a DVD from TheVAP.com.

I recommend the earliest episodes because they spent a lot of time in those days talking about problems that were common to the various generations, how to inspect a trailer, how to execute a "recovery" mission, and then the details of how to fix them up. It is a little jokey and conversational, and you will hear the occasional snide remark about certain generations of trailer, but overall, the value of the podcast is that you can listen to it as you commute around town and pick up a lot of good information that will help you to know what to expect.

Good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 10:57 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
As a long time vintage owner my advice is to start with a unit the size you want that has either been well maintained or reconditioned. Maintaining a vintage Airstream can be a hobby in itself and you don't want to start out with something that will take up all your time. That way you can enjoy the Vintage camping lifestyle while you learn.

The advice that others have given to do your homework by spending time on Air Forums, Vintage Airstream Pods and talking with vintage owners is good advice. Of course you need to do some research as regards to price and value before you buy. Start with a realistic budget and go from there.

Regarding where to buy a trailer, try finding one that has spent much of its time in the southwestern US. It will have less chance of water damage. Some older A/S's are subject to leaking in certain areas which, if severe, can damage the plywood floor and may lead to shell off restoration. My '67 Overlander for example has leaked at the rear on two occasions and I didn't catch it in time to prevent floor damage but the damage has occurred in an area that we can live with for now.

Best of luck to you.....Jacob D.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 11:08 AM   #6

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Tularosa , New Mexico
I have completed vintage AS Flying Cloud 22'

If your interested, give me a holler.
I wasn't going to sell it but I need to get a larger one.
This one has quite a history with Wally Baum in that it went on Caravan with him to Vancouver and to Mexico City in 1962.
Anyway, the trailer is completely restored down to original plumbing fixtures in the little toilet (brass). Has all wood work refinished, original Kreft refrigerator and Princess stove. Has brass fire extinguisher and tube radio mounted above gaucho bed/couch. Been buffed to perfection and exterior is excellent shape given it's age. Has full array of carvander windows that all work. All works and ready to roll/camp.
A show piece. Priced at $42.5k and has original number registered in my name and of course can be transferred. This is a remarkable trailer and I have pictures and full disclosure and is current insured for agreed value and stored in RV garage at my house.
I live in Tularosa, NM and depending where you are, might be able to haul to meet.
Sincerely in health,
jim brown
(575)973-1743
jbdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 11:55 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1968 28' Ambassador
Carbondale , Kansas
Hi, I have a 68 Ambassador 28'. It is polished, ready to camp in and go anywhere, new wheels, tires, shocks, greased, toilet, AC, water heater, pump, furnace, polished propane tanks full of propane, refurbished refrigerator, microwave, 3 burner stove, sleeps 3 or 4, very clean, tube and shower, built in desk, lots and lots of storage, pulls like a dream, and only weights 4000lbs. All windows, screens good, with a rock guard for front window. comes with complete reese hitch, and spare tire. I am in Carbondale, Ks. phone is 785-221-8201. Thanks
rodeobarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 07:49 PM   #8

W , Wisconsin
Right now I am considering this one:

https://northernwi.craigslist.org/rvs/5620177952.html

Or this one:

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/rvs/5604973909.html

Can you obtain financing to purchase one of these lovely trailers or do you need the entire amount up front?
Old 06-09-2016, 09:54 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Be sure to get yourself good and educated before rushing to purchase. There are folks out there who buy a 40 year old wreck, apply some fairly superficial fix-ups, and shine it up nice. These trailers are often refered to as a "polished turd," because under the new flooring is a rotten subfloor and disintegrating frame, walls full of dead mice, and original (ancient) plumbing and electrical elements. You need to understand the "correct" ways of doing refurbishment, and be able to recognize when corners have been cut. Whenever a seller gives you a big list of items that have been replaced/repaired, ask for pictures, receipts, etc., that prove the work has been done. There is a place on the right hand side of the "portal" page as you scroll down that will help you to find volunteer trailer inspectors, if you want some help.

As to financing a vintage trailer, especially one that is being sold by a private party, I would suspect that financing is going to be hard to come by (unless some owner is willing to owner-finance). The biggest reason is that it seems to be so difficult to decide what these vintage trailers are worth. There is no "blue book" guide (at least not an accurate one) like there are with used cars. The "worth" of two trailers of the same model and year can vary dramatically depending on how much and how well any restoration work has been done.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote