Old 06-10-2010, 10:12 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Benson , North Carolina
New to me 1983 Avion 34'

Hello all, I have always wanted to go camping and being a vintage kinda guy have always liked Airstreams. I came across this Avion and did a lot of research on them here and other forums. Thought I would post some pics and get some opinions on its value. I have no intentions to sell it anytime soon, just curious if I'm in over my head. I posted a quick little bit about it on my blog here :

Avion 34 foot 1983 34V | sunblock racing

I would just post them here too, but they are on my main desktop and I am being lazy on the couch with my laptop. I did some research on the avion yahoo groups page but now I can find the forum any more. man I hate yahoo groups. If anyone has a link please post it for me. I am going to search around a bit some more too.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:28 AM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
1976 31' Sovereign
Upstate , ...
Welcome and congrats on the Avion.

The Avion Yahoo Group link is avioncampingandrestoration : Avion Camping and Restoration - Repair,

The link can be found at the Silver Avion website SILVERAVION :: INDEX which is another good resource for information.

There are several current and former Avion owners here who may be able to provide some opinion on value.

Regards,

Kevin

"...the most confident critics are generally those who know the least about the matter criticised."

Ulysses S. Grant

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:05 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
2007 Base Camp
Middletown , New Jersey
Nice rig! I don't know about the value, but some say Avions are even better made than Airstreams (heresy, I know!).

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:26 AM   #4

Vintage Kin Owner
1976 31' Sovereign
Upstate , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfowler View Post
Nice rig! I don't know about the value, but some say Avions are even better made than Airstreams (heresy, I know!).
Our Avion whispers this to me all the time...But you know I'd never listen to the evil Anodized Mistress!

Kevin

"...the most confident critics are generally those who know the least about the matter criticised."

Ulysses S. Grant

Old 06-11-2010, 05:58 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Benson , North Carolina
Thanks guys I love it more and more each day. I cant wait to get out on the road. It ran me about 6k, so I hope thats in line with what its worth. I hate getting into something without months of research, but that sucker was just calling out to me somehow.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:07 PM   #6

Vintage Kin Owner
1976 31' Sovereign
Upstate , ...
$6K sounds like a fair price based on what can be seen on the photographs. If the appliances and systems work and there's no extensive skin damage or floor rot I'd say you got a very good deal.

Kevin

Ulysses S. Grant

Old 06-11-2010, 11:22 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Benson , North Carolina
no damage, or floor rot, no leaks either. skin needs a cleaning and waxing but is ok. Everything works minus the gas heat. it blows but doesn't light. I am told this is an easy fix. The fridge was replaced with a standard 110v, thats the biggest downside to it I have found so far.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:11 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
nc , North Carolina
avion

avion was the best trailer made, from the six inch frame up. best split axle setup used. i have owned airstreams and avions and put a airstream and avion side by side and i'll take the avion. still own a 89 30p. if avions were still made today they would cost a lot more than a airstream.
enjoy your avion.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:27 PM   #9
SJ1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Gwinnett County , Georgia
Congratulations on such a lovely trailer!
Old 06-12-2010, 08:37 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Florence , South Carolina
As a fellow Avion'er I'd say you got a good deal on your rig. Here's a couple of links for a RV refer should you want to replace that conventional refer

Norcold Refrigerator

New Norcold 7.5 cu ft Refigerator

Best of luck to you with your 'new' trailer.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:26 AM   #11
Vintage Kin

Corpus Christi , Texas
From reading ad's nationwide for several years, I'd say that $6k is the opening price on a good one of any size. Few seem priced beyond $12k. This brand is a bargain, thus, high on my list. I'd love to have a late 80's 34W.

Hope you'll regale us with pictures as time goes on. There is a dearth of information on line beyond the links posted above.

If you wish to prioritize your efforts, my opinion is to address all road-worthiness issues first: tires, brakes, bearings, axle alignment and investigate each to exhaustion prior to spending money. Also, converting running/signal lamps to LED. Breakaway switch, chains, power umbilical, make them all as new or better.

Look forward to your posts. Pics and comments. Random thoughts.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:14 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
nc , North Carolina
price of avions

i see avions in good shape go for $18,000., if you get a good one for $6000.oo its a good buy. i have had four of them and there the best trailer made.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:22 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cypress , Texas
2 weeks ago, I picked up a really nice 89 34V Avion. it has not been used hard and is in great shape for 21 years old. Been cleaning and checking it out. The front A/C died and I replaced it with a Coleman Mach 15K, heat pump. next project is to replace th epower converter and distribution panel with a 50 amp panel and get the rear air wired to run at the same time as the front. Progersive Dynamics make a nice distribution panel.

I have a 1979, 28' Silver Streak, that is in like new condition now and it looing fro a new home. It is listed on the classified here as well as Houston Craigslist. Sure hate to part with it, but the Avion has a lot more room.

Side by side, Avion and Silver Streak are both solid built units and both better constructed than an Air Stream...ouch, I had to say that.

As soon as I check out the beaings and brakes, the Avion will be road worthy. The tires are less than 3 years old.

Keep those silver trailers rolling. Nothing built today comes close to the quality...fancier, yes, but not in quality. Wonder how many of the current production trailers will be on the road in 20 years or more?

Ken
Old 07-28-2010, 04:32 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Benson , North Carolina
Thanks, yes mine seems to be very road worthy and checks out great. I still have been anywhere on it yet though. I came close, but then I clipped my mailbox haha.

Avion camper versus mailbox | sunblock racing