Old 03-04-2016, 05:38 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
New to a Trailer, Not Sure if this is the Right Place

Hello (from the PNW)—

About a week and a half ago, we (spouse and I) found ourselves making an offer on a smallish property (~5600 sq') in a highly desirable area (SW corner of WA State, very small town near amazing state parks, 5 minutes walk to the Pacific). We had not been looking—did not think we could afford that area—but stumbled upon the somewhat hidden lot, checked the price, visited that afternoon, made an offer about a week later. It looks as though the offer has been accepted. Signed contract and all.

On the property is a 40' tri-level trailer that was indicated as a "Delta" of 1958 vintage. I realize that it is not an Airstream! Frankly, I can't tell what model it is, but I don't know Delta trailers from the '50s.

Question One: Is a non-Airstream owner welcome on this Forum, or would another place be more useful? I ask this with no hint of spite.

The trailer is in reasonably good shape. Some floor damage (but the spouse is a hardwood flooring contractor), a little veneer damage by a window—there's a small leak up in the roof we'll have to find and fix. Otherwise the place is dry and solid inside. Needs some cleaning up, oil on the wood, but it's pretty solid.

Definitely needs paint on the exterior, and we'll be taking out the porch and building a larger one, with extended deck. But our other house is a 1918 Craftsman, and so we are fine with old, and with working on a house. We are handy people, but this is a new kind of venture.

Question Two: We aren't going to be trailing this trailer—it will be our funky beach cabin for the handful of years before we save enough to build a cabin on the site. We've spent a lot of time in trailers—we love them (which is part of why we leapt at a property others might have avoided). But are "we use it as a beach cabin" trailer owners welcome here? Again, I ask without a word of spite. I totally understand specialized communities.

Question Three: Are trailer types so specialized that since this isn't an Airstream, the Forum would be useless to me? I have no idea.

Right now I feel pretty competent with some aspects of what we are doing, but keep running into questions (there's no hot water heater, for instance, and I realized I don't know what kind to buy for a trailer) and it would be great to find a community where I could ask such.

If this is such a place—I found it through my general Googling about certain issues—that's wonderful. If there is another Forum I should head to, please alert me, and I will.

Many thanks—

Abulafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 05:59 PM   #2
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
I'm certainly not going to say you can't be here on this forum..... I'm a squatter with a non-Airstream, although it is aluminum-skinned.

Congratulations on your purchase.... sounds like a really neat place!

I'm very curious about your Delta. Can you post some pictures? I have searched around for Delta trailers on the web, didn't find much at all other than a Yukon Delta canned ham kind of trailer.

1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 06:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Of course you're welcome & without reservation. This forum mainly deals with Airstream related issues but some issues are related to all RVs so stick around & get more informed, that's why I'm here.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 06:18 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
This forum is primarily for Airstream travel trailers. It sounds like you have purchased a mobile home trailer. (40' Tri-level) Two completely different animals.

But there are a lot of diverse topics at this site and you might learn something.
RVDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 07:21 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Yes, to be clear: this trailer is not an Airstream (I know what those are, and have stayed in them), it is a ~40' trailer. I understand the difference.

I covet an Airstream, but it's not what we have. We bought the place for the property, but the fact that it has a trailer was a plus, rather than a minus.

My concerns will mainly be with things like flooring, veneers, proper water heaters (the water heater has been taken out of this, but other appliances are here), and some general questions.

I'll try to post some photos (though they aren't good ones!). Is there a minimum post requirement? I guess I can try and see.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:36 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Trying to figure out how to post photos. Sorry. Will go research this site to figure it out.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:51 PM   #7
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
I think there is a minimum post count.... maybe 5?

So, the trailer used to have a water heater.... are the gas and water lines still there?

I'm guessing there are several options you could choose to add a water heater: an RV 6 or 10 gallon, an on-demand tankless heater, maybe a small propane home-type heater? I guess it depends on the room you have to work with.

1987 Avion 34W
Old 03-04-2016, 08:00 PM   #8
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abulafia View Post
Trying to figure out how to post photos. Sorry. Will go research this site to figure it out.
Toward the bottom of the thread, look for "Go Advanced". In the list of options there, you'll see "Additional Options". One of those options is "Manage Attachments". That will allow you to add pictures (if there is no post count restriction.

1987 Avion 34W
Old 03-04-2016, 08:12 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Gainesville , Florida
You can check out the tin can tourist Facebook page, all years and models welcome.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 08:42 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
You are welcome here!

Even if it's not an Airstream it's a vintage trailer - and probably a rare one. I'm curious to see your pictures, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

You may have a "park model" which is sort of a predecessor of the "modular home". Would I dare suggest you have a "tiny home" - and that that whole "new" trendy thing actually is just your 50's home recycled. Yes I would.

If it is a park model, there's a good chance that regular home appliances were used and IF you can find them in the same size today you could put a new one in. If you can find the HOLE where the old one was, that will determine what you can put in it's place. Of course a tankless water heater wouldn't be a bad idea either. Virtually unlimited hot water... not your 1950's tech, but nice if you don't like G.I. showers. Watch out for the zoning Nazi's - your trailer is probably grandfathered, but if you make too many exterior modifications you might screw yourself. Sometimes the rules can get downright crazy. You might be able to build a big freestanding Cupola or deck, but if you ATTACH it to the trailer - NO. A friend has stairs down from his house, a six foot gravel walkway and another set of steps up to his screened in roofed deck. (Don't ask about the aluminum draw bridge that is slide out from under the deck! really.)

If you're lucky enough that you're not IN a municipality you can probably get away with anything. Of course, you could then add a 30 amp hookup, and a water line and invite some of us to visit...

Good luck in your rehab, Paula
Old 03-04-2016, 09:12 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Yes, I think it's a "park model!" I just Googled that term, and found this (I hope it attached) which is not identical, but similar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tri Leel.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	258156  
Old 03-04-2016, 09:15 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
They had one of those on the show "Flippin' RV's"
No amount of time will erase the memory of a good dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:21 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Ok, trying to upload shots of the trailer now. Keep in mind that these are horrible shots (took them before we made an offer, more of a "Well, this is kind of interesting" thing). But you get the idea.

A couple of photos of the exterior, and a couple of the interior. I'll post a photo of the property and our "front yard" (five minutes' walk away) with the next post.

I know it looks pretty cruddy outside, but I think it's workable.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:23 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
OK, that didn't upload. Trying again. Bear with me.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Trailer 1.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	443.4 KB
ID:	258157   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer 2.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	258158  

Name:	Trailer 3.jpg