Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-28-2012, 02:07 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Everett , Washington
Red face New member: we have a 1962 Silverstreak

Hello everybody. We have a 19 foot Silverstreak which we are currently renovating. It is a 1962. We used it for about 3 years before starting the renovation, and enjoyed it. am almost to bare metal inside (i.e. no more interior) and soon will start rebuilding. I have a few questions that I am hoping the forum folk can help me with, or at least point me in the right direction.

1. My plan is to put all LED lighting inside, preferably 12v. Basically everything will run 12V except the basics like vents, refer (gas+12V+120V), etc. Does anyone have a wiring diagram or know where I can find a good modern-style diagram for a travel trailer? I would like some guide on wiring gauges etc.
2. My wife wants a pull down bunk bed. Anyone got plans for one of those?
3. Our SS has a solid door, but I have toyed with the idea of replacing it with the door/screen type. I haven't really seen parts like this. Any Ideas? I am in the Seattle area.

I'll try to get some pictures up soon.

Cheers!

Aaron
62-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Aaron,

Welcome to the forum. I'm right down the road in Seattle. You should find a lot of good advice on wiring here. But you should also check out SSSabre's blog at 1970 Silver Streak Sabre - Model 20 He has a bunch of helpful documentation for Silverstreaks including some wiring diagrams. Vintage Trailer Supply also offers a couple of books about RV wiring. When rebuilding from the ground up like you are doing, you have a ton of flexibility in designing your systems. Just make sure you study carefully to avoid overloading individual circuits or using inadequtely sized wire.

Norm
Old 09-16-2012, 08:14 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Everett , Washington
Thanks.
With everything out, i am going to leak test it, but I already see many areas of potential leaking. Just about every hole through the roof has some signs of water, as well as most holes through the walls like logos, lights, doors etc. I am sure glad I decided to fully refurbish. :-)
Old 09-16-2012, 08:21 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Everett , Washington
I finished removing the interior except for the floor. I am going to decide on the new layout before I tear up the old one. I don't want to have a missing floor for too long. I started a blog with lots of photos as well (see sig). Now i just need to find a 2-piece screened door.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070264.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	253.5 KB
ID:	168484  
Old 09-16-2012, 09:46 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Robstown , Texas
Hello, I have a 1963 22' Silver Streak and a 1973 33' Silver Streak. Both need a new door and would love screens too. I'm also looking at trying to find new hinges for existing doors and then getting someone to retrofit new alum on existing doors as well. Any info you uncover would be appreciated.
silvergirl22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags