Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-22-2010, 09:30 PM   #21
Vintage Kin Owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Trenton , Illinois
OK went out and braved the tornadoes to get some inside pictures. Curious about a few things. Is the faucet with the handle to the right of the sink, part of the pump system (its supposed to not work). Also I'm guessing the light fixtures are original? Also can someone tell me what the switch to the left of the door is supposed to turn off and on? How about the fixture attached to the wall above the stove? The thing rolled up on the floor is the home-made awning setup the dude had made to work. Some of the window cranks are busted, is there a source for some of these? Also the fridge still works but its pretty nasty/rusty in spots on the inside, is there a way to restore/clean this? Otherwise we may just modernize everything if/when we redo the inside.

IMG_7827 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMG_7826 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMG_7825 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMG_7824 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMG_7822 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMG_7821 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMG_7817 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
studio47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 04:25 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
1953 17' Clipper
Mendon , Vermont
You are lucky!

Oh my gosh.....what a wonderfully-preserved trailer!! I wonder when they put the floor in, and whether they took out everything to do it, or cut it around the cabinets?? It looks like the ceiling and walls are painted over the zolotone?

You certainly found a good one. I hope you can preserve it as original as much as possible. I must say, I am envious!!

Is that a hand water pump at the sink, or just an on-off? Some of the fifties Airstreams have hand water pumps; I've always wished my '53 did, as it doesn't have 12V or water tanks.
pinktrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 07:52 AM   #23
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Nice trailer with many of the vintage items that contribute to the character and feeling of the era still intact. I think you did well. It's worth paying extra to avoid having to deal with a basket case.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:49 AM   #24
Vintage Kin Owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Trenton , Illinois
I don't want to oversell this trailer, while we are really excited about this one, it has a few basket case type issues to work out. According to the previous owner, the floor was done a few years ago because when he bought it, the previous owner had left a roof vent open for a fairly long time and the floor and dinette rotted away. He had to replace a section of the subfloor as well. Consequently, the steel sheet metal underskin is in really rough shape and will need complete replacement at some point. The frame were visible though still appears pretty solid. He did not take everything out as it is cut around stuff. I may redo the floor and maybe even replace the subfloor with pressure treated for a little extra piece of mind. At a minimum I'll at least the floor back out and take a look at the subfloor myself sometime over the winter.

On a plus side as I was taking the pictures last night of the interior it rained cats and dogs with a ~30 mph wind, and I'm happy to report that it seems to be pretty water tight now. It did however pop the breaker as water was getting in and sitting in the little plug socket. I'm not sure if this is common or it had more to do with how much rain we were getting or maybe it was sitting a little nose down allowing water to sit in there. Any thoughts on this?
Old 11-28-2010, 07:11 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
HOUSE SPRINGS , MO
Wow!

Hi Tom,

Your trailer looks great! What a fun find. We are just across the river in St. Louis and your new trailer is way ahead of our "redo" of our vintage kin Curtis Wright. It seems a bit odd that you may have "sheet metal" on the bottom of your trailer... is it not aluminum? Our PO had redone alot with sheet metal but that was because he was a sheet metal worker. He used what he had back in 1978. It just sounds a bit unusual, but when it comes to "do it yourselfers" you never know what you will find. The inside of your trailer looks great and those original appliances are awesome. Have fun and hope to meet you and see your trailer down the road!

Tina
oh2bcarefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:47 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Shallowater , Texas
fellow clipper owner

Just found your post. Haven't looked at all your pics. I own a '52 clipper, the last year with the "alien eye" windows. The handle to the right is a siphon pump to get water out of the small water holding tank(should be under your sink) when you are not hooked to shore water. Your belly pan is probably galvanized steel. Originally there was insulation. If your floor was rotted, chances are the insulation held moisture and rusted your framework as well. You need to check. The old clippers had a very different frame than the newer Silver Streaks. If you are going to redo your appliances, let me know, I would like to buy your old stove and fridge. You can e-mail me at stickandtin@hotmail.com. Thanks, Ron
stickandtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:00 AM   #27
Vintage Kin Owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Trenton , Illinois
Hi Tina, thanks for the kind words, your resto project looks like a fun project as well.Ron is correct, in that it looks like it had a galvenized (or at least some kind of steel) sheet metal belly pan that the frame and everything was tucked up in. Everything from the edges on up are aluminum though. Ron, that makes sense with the extent that the pan is rusted out. I can actually lay my eyes on the frame in quite a few places and although it has some surface rust it doesn't look that bad. Some of the thin sheet metal cross braces will likely need to be replaced, but otherwise mostly solid. Next time my dad comes to visit, I told him to bring his welder so we could make a go at replacing it all. Pictures and stories will follow I'm sure.
Blog
Old 05-31-2011, 09:49 PM   #28
Vintage Kin Owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Trenton , Illinois
Finished building a new dinette for this summer's big trip. Also threw a new coat of paint and floor down. My work in progress!

2011-05-24_20_44_59 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Blog
Old 06-02-2011, 07:31 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Leadville(for now) , Colorado
Great Looking Silver Streak!
Just read through Your thread...
IMO if You feel it is worth it(initial purchase price)--that is what really counts.

Dinette area looks Really Nice!

Enjoy,
Christopher
Old 06-09-2011, 03:51 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Mustang , Oklahoma
I disagree that you paid too much. There wasn't anything even close to that within 1500 miles of us for under $6500. That's a great trailer for the money.
Roothawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:45 PM   #31

2005 25' Safari
Tacoma , Washington
Looking to buy 1956 SS jet

Hi Tom, I'm looking at a 56 SS jet that he settled for $1000.00 do you think it's worth it. In hindsight. How's that project coming? Just looking for advise. Do you have a contact number?

Thanks, Mike
Happyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:32 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Minneapolis , Minnesota
GO for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyrock View Post
Hi Tom, I'm looking at a 56 SS jet that he settled for $1000.00 do you think it's worth it. In hindsight. How's that project coming? Just looking for advise. Do you have a contact number?

Thanks, Mike
Silver Streaks from the 50s can easily have all the body panels replaced if necessary (no compound curves) and they can also polish to a mirror finish.
Send pictures if you buy!
|:::::::::/\::::::|>
n8andm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:48 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
What a great deal!!
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:57 AM   #34
Vintage Kin Owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Trenton , Illinois
Happyrock

Mike,

Its hard to say if thats a good deal based on the limited data you provided. I'm assuming that if they are asking $1000 that the SS will need some work. SO depending on how much and what your comfort level doing the work is on whether its a good deal or not. If I found another one in the same shape as mine for $1000 I'd buy it whether I needed it or not probably. As for a number, I'm a little leery posting a phone number on an open board. Feel free to email me or PM me through the board with your number though and I'd be glad to give you a call.
Blog
Old 03-13-2012, 09:23 PM   #35

2005 25' Safari
Tacoma , Washington
1956 SS jet

Tom- thanks for your feedback. I know, I didn't provide much detail. This trailer, isn't almost turn key, like yours looked to be. It's a total overhaul. The shell looks really good. Small dent in front corner. I can see the potential, hell, some elbow grease & that think would polish up like a diamond. If you wouldn't mind giving me a jingle, I'd appreciate some input. (253) 232-4845.
Thanks, Mike
Happyrock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags