Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-19-2012, 01:52 PM   #21
USN Avionics Tech QA Insp

Vintage Kin Owner
Morristown (Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge area) , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966Countess View Post
Wow, what a warm welcome. Thanks everyone.
To dmcummins: helpful info on waste tank (much more than I had), I now have a general idea on the original setup. I might add a grey tank in the future, baby steps for now.

To Zeppelinium: yeah, sewage AKA black water tank, it's gone. When I get a replacement for that, I plan to direct the grey water to that for now. Relinquishing storage space for a grey tank is hard to swallow.

PEX 100% seems to be the general consensus (to Jim/Mitzi, I'll look into the CPVC for difficult locatations).

I've found a good amount of info on Tom Patterson's Page. I'm wondering if Silver Streak's are very similar. There seems to be more info available for those, and the owner's of each company were partner's at Silver Streak at the beginning.

Anyway I will be posting photos of my progress regularly here. I'll make some bad calls I'm sure. It's the journey not the destination, right?
Thanks, Meg
Silverstreak was formed by two original founders of Airstream. Then Streamline was founded when those two disagreed on a major building point. I read that the original breakup was over the use of a third spar in the frame for increased structural rigidity( AS did not want to increase cost), and the second was over using a fully code compliant electrical system in the trailer so that it would pass housing code(Silverstreak did not want to increase cost this time). I can't prove this, but that is what my research concluded to the best of my memory. Silverstreak eventually shut down, and Streamline became Newell motorcoaches. I have spoken to Newell about their technical library, but I had no luck in finding old documentation for my 65 Streamline Duke.
LarryGlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:45 PM   #22
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Newell was founded by a man who bought a Streamline motorhome and was appalled at what he found . . that is, he knew he could do a much better job. So he bought the motorhome rights/plans and went his way.

A NEWELL today (the best motorhome built, all of them custom) start at around $1.7-million.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:06 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
My lord, that is a beautiful trailer... Good luck with the tanks, you may have to get in there and measure it all out.

They may be nicely built, but hose Newell mohos are the tackiest things I've ever seen.
Eric H is offline   Reply With Quote