Old 07-11-2011, 12:43 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Flora Vista , New Mexico
Maiden Voyage

I got the '68 A-25 out on the road for a quick trip to Bluff, Utah. For some reason OTR drivers kept following me even when they could pass. I thought my sedate 55MPH would annoy them. Almost every other RV on the highways seemed to be either a monster 5th wheel or a 50 foot Class A. I saw one Airstream that was in storage (parked on a slope). One of my neighbors (a local) had an ancient tent trailer that looked to be 1950's and would be great behind a korean war era jeep.

Everything worked (even the magic chef-the pilot wont STAY lit, but the oven works) with a few minor problems that a few (larger) screws and some glue will fix. I heard a lot of "Nice Airstream" comments LOL I saw a lot of turned heads too. I guess aluminitis is very contagious.

Thanks to the forums here (and a few others) I got most of the ol girl going with minor frustration. Now to decide if i should junk the furnace (the only thing that doesnt work) and go with a catalytic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	avion 001.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	397.7 KB
ID:	134503   Click image for larger version

Name:	avion 002.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	134504  

Old 07-12-2011, 07:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
House Springs , Missouri
Welcom

Hi Erik!

Congrats on your maiden voyage! Before you decide to scrap the heater, take a look at this link from the Silver Avion website. It has manuals for some of their older heaters and yours may be included.

Manuals

We have a very cool looking old coleman heater in our Avion that we sure hope works, but we've got to add LP back to the trailer. PO (previous owner) made the trailer all electric.

Good Luck!

Tina

Old 07-13-2011, 04:56 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Flora Vista , New Mexico
The heater

Thanks Tina!

I have the manuals and all the original paperwork (even the warranty cards for all the appliances--sadly expired lol) but my pilot light assembly is missing on the furnace. It appears to have been hacksawed. I think if i can find another (I found a brand new spare thermocouple in the furnace still in the package) I might get the furnace working. The fan works without squealing on the manual setting.

Also, just a side question, but the AC will not work on a single 20 amp 110v outlet. It will run then the compressor will shut off and the fan motor will pick up. Do colemans require 30 amp to be happy? The plug is a 30 amp and the breaker box is a bit beefier than original (i have to run a multimeter over more of it when i decide the AC is important). All the other electrical will happily operate on a single 110 20amp circuit. I ran the coach all weekend without a hookup on a marine battery and LP with excellent results, for something that old an until recently neglected.

Insights will be appreciated

Eric
Old 07-19-2011, 08:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
House Springs , Missouri
Air conditioner

Hi Eric,

I know nothing about a/c - so I asked my husband. He said he thought it could be in the control part of the a/c. If the power was overloading, it would trip the breaker and neither the compressor or the fan would run. It could also be that the compressor has a leak and you may be out of freon, the a/c will try and run, and if it can't build pressure, it will shut down. Hope that is helpful, it's tough to give advice several states away !

Best,

Tina (and Mike!)
Old 07-19-2011, 09:34 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Springfield , Missouri
The air conditioner requires 30 amps to run properly. You should not try to run it on a regular household current. Before I knew better, I tried to run my a/c on 110v house current. It ran for a few minutes then blew a breaker. When I got to the campground and hooked it up to 30 amp service, it ran just fine and cooled well. I know others will jump on and tell you all the bad things that could happen, so it's best not to even try regular house current.