Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-10-2011, 06:30 PM   #1

Gardnerville , Nevada
Looking at Streamline trailer

Hi!!

I'm new to this forum and first of all want to say Hi!!!

Me and my wife are looking for a trailer and found nice Streamline empress 29ft from 1971. It seems to be in good shape. Price is $4500.

I was trying to research it online but cant find any information about it. Do any of you have any info on streamlines? is there any place i can find manuals etc?

Also...if we buy it will we be able to go to rallies with airstreams or do we have to buy airstream to be allowed to do that?
Stebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:07 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Columbia , South Carolina
Welcome
Have a look at this site: Tom's Trailer Section Frameset Page

and: streamline [Tin Can Tourists Wiki]

That should get you started. Can't say on the rallies, but I'd let you in.
Arrowstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:52 AM   #3

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Any Air Forum rally will let you in but WBCCI requires you have an AS. The Air rallies are fun and very informal. Good luck on your search!
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:30 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Streamline is a great trailer. I believe their last year of production was 1974. It's a very well built and rather heavy trailer, as evidenced by the triple beam frame chassis.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:06 PM   #5

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Just off hand, if it is in good shape, that sounds like a pretty reasonable price. If you decide to get it be sure to come back and share pictures I've never seen one in person.

You'd be welcome at any forum rallys, probably be welcome as a guest at many of the more easygoing WBCCI unit rallys, and there's also Tin Can Tourists rallys. Lots of opportunities to socialize with your vintage trailer!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:41 AM   #6

Gardnerville , Nevada
Thanks for all your answers!!!

We are still thinking about it. I'm worried about spare parts availibility. What if i have to change breaks, wheel bearings etc? Where to get a rim to make a spare wheel? I'm just affraid that i wont be able to get any parts.
Other than that we really like it.
Ita a nice trailer and the price is right...i think. But on teh other hand i like the panoramic windows in airtreams. Oh boy...what should we do??

Here is a few pictures i took when we went to look at it:

Stebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:14 PM   #7
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
The low production trailers like Streamline are generally easier to get parts for, than the hi production models.

Here is why. Small companies like Streamline had to buy parts off the shelf. They used standard axles, stoves, fridges, etc. And, any parts they made themselves had to be simple to make. So many parts are so simple you could make in your home garage. See for example the end caps on the trailer in the picture. They are made of flat pieces of metal fitted together. A good sheet metal man could make new ones out of plain sheet aluminum very easily. Airstream stamped out their end caps on giant presses, if you need to replace one you have to go to Airstream for it.

Likewise for the appliances. They are probably standard off the shelf items from Dometic and other major makers. These appliance makers tend to make their appliances the same size and fit in the same place even when they change models over the years. This is so their customers don't have to tear up their blueprints and redesign their trailers every time they come up with a new model of appliance. So you could probably buy a brand new stove or fridge of the same brand and it would fit right in.

The axles are probably standard straight axles with leaf springs. These were made by the millions and are still being made by a dozen different makers. You could order brand new ones and get them cheaper than Airstream's special rubber mounted jobs.

The wheels should be a common type of trailer wheel available from any tire dealer. You have to be careful here. Trailer wheels will interchange with car or pickup truck wheels but the car or pickup truck wheels are not strong enough. Trailers put more stress on their wheels than cars or trucks. So be sure to buy wheels made for a trailer.

If all 4 wheels are original trailer wheels there is no reason they won't last the life of the trailer.

So, I would not worry about getting parts. You would probably have an easier time getting parts, than for an Airstream of the same age.

By the way many people consider the Streamline one of the best trailers made, stronger and better than Airstream although heavier. In any case, they are a top quality product and very durable and long lasting.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:06 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Another vote for not worrying about parts..

If you'd cruised through the thousands of messages on this site about restorations of older and more obscure trailers, the only parts that are really hard to come by are unique body parts, like skins, doors, some windows, etc.. EVERYTHING else is generally purchased from an industry-wide supplier and "assembled" at the factory.. Interior cabinetry is often custom, but can also be fixed if necessary, and refinished. Flooring and bedding and upholstery aren't brand specific, and are actually pretty easy to shange out...

If the size and floorplan fits your needs, and the body shell and frame are in good condition, and windows and doors are sound, you can probably get anything else needed serviced or repaired or replaced when necessary...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:08 AM   #9
LJH
Rivet Master

1985 27' Sovereign
Defiance , Ohio
Nice looking unit! Make your best deal and hit the highway.
LJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:58 PM   #10
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
That is a nice looking unit and would be the hit of any rally. The rarer models like Streamline draw more interest than the commoner trailers.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:30 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1981 20' International
Shasta Lake City , California
Looks to be in good shape... double check the floor for leaks, only takes one leaky rivet, out of 10,000 rivets that were used to build that trailer.

Come and see me at: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f185...-71804-60.html
Trex "Airstream Nomad"
Trex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 04:34 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Columbia , South Carolina
One just popped up on Craigslist (Augusta, Ga), don't know how long it'll stay listed, but here's the link:
1973 STREAMLINE CAMPER
Arrowstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:35 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Newcastle , Oklahoma
I bought a 1966 24' Duke last year. We really like it. I also have an Airstream. The only trouble finding parts I've had are the grease seals, but found them in CA. It is built well. I am adding a grey water tank and tankless water heater. All the appliances are like other trailers. I bought a wheel for a spare that matches and and you can get the brake parts etc. If worse comes to worse you can get new hubs to replace it.
Barkingdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:27 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
1990 29' Land Yacht
Vintage Kin Owner
Americus , Alsrural Bristol Tn.
Streamline tt

Buy it it's a steal. And welcome to the world of vintage travel trailers....
Jim & Mitzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:38 AM   #15

Currently Looking...
Midlothian , Texas
So...did you buy it Stebel? I'm also considering a '69 Imperial that seems in great shape for its age, but have some hesitation due to concern about parts and the "great unknowns" that seem to arise with these 40+ year old trailers. I love the old rare ones though, and these Streamlines seem about as rare as they come!
CBACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:39 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Santa Cruz , California
Send a message via Yahoo to jgbyler
Hi There - did you find any manuals? I just inherited a trailer from my Uncle and have the entire manual for my 23' Streamline "Dutchess" Regency Gold...and the accompanying marketing material from when they purchased it... I just had it at the RV place to check out what's working and what's not, and it needed very little. Just needs a little TLC now... Let me know if I can help you. It was very helpful to me to have been able to read the information.

Happy trailering!
Janet
jgbyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:47 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Santa Cruz , California
I have almost that exact trailer they're looking at! lol I just got it last week...from my uncle...and I am SO excited to give her ("Goldilocks") some TLC... Mine is in fabulous condition as well, with the exception of one of the awning arms having been dislocated when my uncle hit the side wall in tunnel on highway 140 going to Yosemite. I think my family was with them when this happened...I was only in grammar school...

I have the entire manual if anyone needs one for a 1971 Streamline Dutchess Regency Gold. I can't wait to hit the road...need new tires, check bearings, add trailer brake controller in my Denali, and then tow her home so that I can work on her... So very excited... This forum's participants are SO GREAT!
Old 05-25-2012, 10:50 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Santa Cruz , California
(by the way, the manual said that the 23' Regency Gold Streamline weight 3,600 lbs, plus the tongue of about 400 lbs, for a total of +/- 4,000 lbs. Is that comparatively heavy to other trailers? I thought it was one of the most lightweight ones (as they said in their brochures!) lol My Denali will tow 8,000 lbs...but my friend who towed it from my uncle's to the RV place last week said it towed heavier than his much newer 20'. The tires, while "brand new" and were never on the ground while stored for 10 years, had no cracks or wear/tear... My uncle had covered them up and kept the trailer covered the entire time under an aluminum roofed porch where little/no light or water hit it. The RV place said that their pressure test (water) revealed no leaks in seams...yay!

Now I just have to have the heater fixed...and I already know the guy for that.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:48 AM   #19
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Trailer tires should be replaced at five years. The penalty is too high and even the best tires are dirt cheap ($1000/four) compared to possible damage ($6000+)
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:02 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Santa Cruz , California
Rednax: Thanks - I have it in my budget to replace the tires (all five), check the bearings, trailer brakes, and trailer shocks.

Tags
1971 streamline empress, 29'