Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2015, 12:51 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Superior , Colorado
insulation removal tips

Gurus,
Does anyone have a nifty method of removing the sprayed-in foam that I find on my Streamline? I have not decided if ALL of it needs to come out, but some sections do for sure. Last weekend I cleaned out some with putty knives, but it's SO difficult and slow. It there a nifty tool of any sort? Drill attachment? Miracle vanishing spray? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150517_085651_resized.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	279.1 KB
ID:	241101  
ericpeltier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 01:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Miracle vanishing spray! Well, there might be...and this is more of an interesting bit of trivia piece of information here (rather than a recommendation), but...If you pour acetone into a shallow bowl and then set a styrofoam cup in it, it will disolve like magic. Could be it would do the same for your sprayed in insulation, but working with atomized acetone would be very dangerous.

Seriously, you might try using an oscillating tool to cut the insulation into vertical strips a few inches wide, and then you might get that stip to "peel" out more easily than just pecking away at the entire section. Those oscillating tools also have a scraper attachment that if you got it under the end of the previously mentioned strip of insulation might ease freeing the insulation from the shell.

Good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Why are you taking it out? Leak hunting?
I'll second the oscillating tool with a scraping head. Seems like the best possible solution. Other than leaving the stuff there. Keep the head at a low angle so it doesn't pound outward against the exterior skin , possibly causing stned, outward dents.
Miracle elbow grease!
I guess this is a good example of why not to use spray foam as has come up many times on the forums.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 12:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
2007 20' Safari SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Wesley Chapel , Florida
Eric,
Wondering why is the need of the total removal? There isn't a simple miracle fast way to do it, acetona helps while the foam isn't cured yet or in big quantities but I wouldn't recommend it, not only because of the monetary factor involved but also due the hazards involved.
"Cutting and removing" small sections is your best shot, If you are trying to solve some leaks, a small area around the window should give you enough space to trace the leak and seal it from outside and the spray foam again.
The spray foam if well applied "SHOULD" help to prevent water intrusion as well.
Please keep us posted!
2 chronicles 7:14
VeggieBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 09:45 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Superior , Colorado
I'm coming around to the idea of leaving it in. Is IS a good insulator, and, urethane foam is still considered safe 40 years later. I'll just need to vacuum up all the dead bugs.
Most of China
ericpeltier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 08:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
The old saying "if it ain't broke..." comes to mind!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 05:04 PM   #7
Slympicins

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Sevierville , Tennessee
I suppose if you decided to go the ionized acetone route, it's quite possible we will be seeing you and your AS on the news. Not a great idea if thought through. Scrape the areas which are troubling and add new foam to those areas.
Slympicins is offline   Reply With Quote