Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-16-2015, 08:06 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeincolor View Post
And the thing that has me the most worried. I think we can fix it I just worry about cost, time, and having a good place to work on this (inside would probably be best if we removed each window, cleaned and resealed). Any one done this on an Avion?
I have a 1984 Avion 30P. Last summer I put all new trim on the windows. It's a tricky business and tedious. I ordered all the pieces from Interstate RV Metal & Supply

Interstate RV Metal & Supply

You will not / should not remove your windows. There is a product called Captain Tolleys
Vintage Trailer Supply - parts and supplies for vintage travel trailers and campers!
That is sold by Vintage Trailer supply that you should use around every screw that is under the trim that holds the window in. Remove all the silicone that's around the window. It is doing nothing. When you get to this project, you can PM me for more information if you need it. The supplies to redo all the windows was about $250.

I built myself & my daughter (she has a 34 Ft Avion) a rock guard for approximately $200 each. Cayo in Watervleit, Michigan has fiberglass big black ones for about $500 (I think). I like my design, but I'm a bit biased! Here is a link for the instructions for building your own rock guard:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f454...it-122061.html

I agree that the price is rather high. You should have them have all systems running for you, including the water heater. I wouldn't trust a furnace from '78 and would automatically subtract $1000 from their price for the cost of a new one. I really like my Avion (I covet a 32S!) and am sure you would enjoy one too!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:37 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Mobile , Alabama
Avions are great trailers. I've owned Airstreams and think Avions are better built and designed. You don't have to worry about axle replacements or a shell off restoration. With all of this said, I agree with the prior poster that the trailer you are looking at it is probably a $4,000-5000 trailer at best. You'll spend $3k on awnings and rock guard if you decide to put them on. You'll have major cleaning and upholstery on inside. And I'm surprised by any kind of soft floor. Still, my advice is buy it if you can get the right price and are willing to spend the time and money fixing it up. It is a great trailer.
Jarrod White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 09:09 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Salem , Oregon
Thank you again and again and again you guys. I've been doing non stop research and looking for other trailers too, of course.... Can't stop since I've been looking for months anyway wow what great info about the windows, thank you! We're looking at another one, much less work needed. I'll keep you all updated. I don't care how long it takes we will find the perfect Avion!
lifeincolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 12:18 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Terrace , British Columbia
It is totally normal to fall hard on a vintage...even if it is "Uncle Lester"

Seriously though it looks like a great trailer. The asking price does seem a little steep given the initial appearance. Perhaps just a good cleaning and you could have a working trailer.

Don't let love blind you though! Go in with your eyes wide open.
They are a tremendous amount of work depending on what you want to do with it.
jonplayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 03:28 AM   #25
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
I also agree that $14k is too much. With $14k you should get a clean Avion (non-smoker) with all the appliances in working condition and no major issue (floor, etc). I think if don't rush, and do more search online, you can find a better one. As a reference point, I found a 1987 34 footer, 1 owner, and in great shape for $15k. It only needed new upholstery but was otherwise camp ready (I did not buy it as I'm looking for a smaller trailer, and ran into this 34 by chance). I also saw a 1978 30P, which I almost bought (the deal fell through eventually), and it was priced much lower. 30R is rear bed floor plan and is very nice.

Avions are GREAT trailers. They have a solid frame, and an advanced suspension system, and they do not leak as much. They have real wood cabinetry, insulated walls/floors, and much more inside/outside storage. I think if Fleetwood revives the brand, even the same mid 1980 trailer, and just update the interior stylistically, they will make a lot of money. Many people think Avions are the best aluminium trailer ever built.
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 07:32 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Gonzalez , Florida
IMHO 14,000 is high. For that price I would expect that all awnings be in place. Have you priced the awning. As for the front guard last time I priced a new one it was over $500.00. All appliances should be working, running lights etc. I painted the interior of our 1978 almost the same color. We changed counter tops, new backsplash etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	238.8 KB
ID:	232598  
Pensacola, Fla.
Go Noles!
Smokeydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:35 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeydog View Post
IMHO 14,000 is high. For that price I would expect that all awnings be in place. Have you priced the awning. As for the front guard last time I priced a new one it was over $500.00. All appliances should be working, running lights etc. I painted the interior of our 1978 almost the same color. We changed counter tops, new backsplash etc.
So pretty! Yes, awnings are very expensive, I priced them out yesterday.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:29 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
1990 29' Land Yacht
Vintage Kin Owner
Americus , Alsrural Bristol Tn.
I have a 1990 30'. Rear bath. Bought from original owner. Exceptional condition. Floor problem is the exception. I am amazed and question what caused the problem. Call me if U like. 813.760.9317. Jim....... It is for sale also. Thanx
Jim & Mitzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 11:13 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Salem , Oregon
I thought I'd update this thread to say that I did get a 30R, only it is a much nicer 1984 version. Now I see what all the fuss was about with painting it. There is no way I would paint this, it's so beautiful and well maintained. I'm so happy. I'm going to start a new thread all about my new baby, but just thought I should say here that I kept looking and got what we were after!
Amber
Old 03-17-2015, 06:10 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Yay! Congratulations! I have an '84 30P & like it a lot!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote