Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-04-2015, 11:37 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
bloomington , California
I need help PLEASE

These are pics of a 1971 Silver Stream (yes, Stream) Empress that is offered to me for free. Its roughly 80 miles away and been sitting for ten years. There is one dent in the rear passenger side at the bottom which has tore the aluminum. Need to get new tires. All of this I am wondering is it worth it to flip it. In my opinion for a 71 trailer the inside is in good condition. My friend says its ok. The are a few spots in the floor that are a little spongy. Not sure how the electrical or the waterworks in it but it seems like someone took care of it. it has a couple broken louvers and the vent cover is broke off. The only trailer I can find like this is a 68 and its on the classified section on this site. It is a Silver Stream not a Silver streak. I really can't find any information on silver Streams. Everything seems to be silver Streak or Air Stream. I need help. I have to pick it up this morning if I want it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5141.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	235575   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5142.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	235576  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5144.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	235577   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5146.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	235578  

champrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 11:48 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Your pics don't show the dent in the aluminum, so the following is just general info.

If the dented panel is flat or a simple curve (only bends in one direction) it will be easy to fix. Aluminum, rivets, and the tools you'll need are available and reasonable in cost--basically aircraft stuff, but also stocked by Vintage Trailer and others commonly mentioned here on the Forums.

If it is a compound curve, that's a lot more difficult.

Please let us know what you decide.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 12:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Personally, if I'm forced to decided within a short timeframe, I might choose to pass. I didn't have it yesterday, my life was just fine without it, odds are good my life will continue to be fine without it.

On the other hand, it's free. Well - you only have to pay to pick it up which is either an 80 mile tow on a flatbed or a few hundred bucks in tires, lights, and gas.

For that investment - you have something that's either worth parting out and selling scrap metal or fixing up - which might be a $10-20K proposition - which itself is much less than buying a brand new Airstream. Of course - you could have a something you can't fix for less than $50K and years of frustration.

This is why I wouldn't decide in 24 hours - or rather - I'd decide to pass because I know I don't have the money or talent to make it road worthy. If you do - jump on it.

Make sense? :-)

Good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 12:15 PM   #4
Zil
4 Rivet Member

Curtis Wright
Currently Looking...
Eyren Haven , South Jersey
The title could prove to be expensive.
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 12:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
If you are into vintage trailers AND have the TIME, SKILLS and MONEY to fix up (likely well over $10,000 in parts alone) then you might have an interesting project.

You will probably not be able to sell if for more than you have in it after your are finished so if profit is your motive forget it. If what you are looking for is a cheap camper than can be made ready to go quickly and inexpensively, forget it.
Old 04-04-2015, 01:34 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Fair Oaks , California
I think what you are looking at is a Streamline travel trailer.
I posted a link to one for sale that was purchased locally here for $2500 which is a good deal for it. New owner is looking to flip it and started at $10,500 and price is now dropping. As you can see by his add, he is not quite certain of what he is selling.
PRISTINE VINTAGE TRAILER 1962 23' MUST SELL MAKE OFFER
Argosy Heir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 01:39 PM   #7
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Yes, that IS a Streamline. The crown by the door was their emblem.
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 03:30 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Huntsville , Alabama
Sounds like a money pit to me. As others have mentioned, you may not be able to turn a profit by flipping it unless you part it out and then sell the rest for scrap. But, it might be a lot of work for not as much money as you expect.

If you're mechanically inclined and really want a cool vintage trailer, and are not thinking about flipping it for a profit, then this might be worth getting. Myself... I've had enough experience with vintage projects that I either buy new, or used in excellent condition and working order. Even then, it often costs more than you expect.

Sorry to be such a downer, just wanted to share what I've learned over the years with old vintage stuff and having to rely on paying others to fix or restore since I'm not mechanically inclined.
JustSomeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:38 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
bloomington , California
California has laws after 5 years they issue a new title. You don't have to pay back fees. Imagine that in California ...lol
Old 04-04-2015, 10:47 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
bloomington , California
That one is in excellent condition. It seems to me that there is a water mark on the paneling on the left when you first walk through the door. Is that the original flooring???Something about that don't seem original though. What the heck I know nothing about vintage trailers except what I have read the last couple of days.
Old 04-13-2015, 03:40 PM   #11

Currently Looking...
San Francisco , California
Well, we're curious what you decided to do about the Streamline Empress. I have an 1964 Empress and have learned a bit about it. Agree with all the advice!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Murl is offline   Reply With Quote