Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2009, 10:17 PM   #21
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I feel your pain...

I went to look at one of those "collectible, rare, timeless classic, camp-ready" trailers a few months back. On Craigslist (pictures) and on the phone, it looked and sounded great. Then I drove out to look at it...
About the only thing it didn't have was rodent poop, and that was probably because the resident snake had eaten them all before they could take a dump. It had no fridge, no shower stall, no beds or other place to sit, unless you counted the (broken) toilet. All the tambours were gone, most of the belly pan wrap was gone on the side not shown in the photos, the whole thing was covered in several coats of beige latex house paint, the tires were off a car, and several windows were either made out of plastic or simply painted over plywood. If the seller had shown his face, I would have cheerfully beaten him to a pulp, but he was conspicuously absent. Maybe it was just as well...
Old 08-28-2009, 07:17 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
moab , Utah
Sorry to hear about your bad luck on Craigs list. I live in the deserts of Utah and I bought a 62' Streamline in California for 2k. My son who lives there checked it out for me and it ended up being a square deal. But I find that because Craigs list is viewed by a large number of people from all over that prices are generally high. I bought a 65' Boles Aero locally here(SLC) for $800. You won't find that on Craigs List.
eddiemoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 08:34 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
a pristine 64 Bambi....
pick up the 1994 21' Sovereign
a 1954 Cloud
Back to the drawing board. Buyer beware!
Looks like you have a variety of interests, seems like the odds would be with you finding the perfect trailer. Things should improve soon.

Carol
tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 08:40 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
still looking

Carol....I'm a very eclectic Airstreamer. If it catches my fancy.....I'm there.
Can you deny the "charm" of a Bambi, a Flying Cloud or a 21' Sovereign? Then again, there is my Curtis.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 08:58 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
I have an acquaintance who descriptions I've learnt to decode:

Brand New! - Considerably used but nothing immediately appears to have failed
Mint Condition - All rust has been rattle canned over broken stuff welded back on
Runs like new - May have more than one "screw loose" in the cylinders
Parts easy to get - All useful mechanicals were removed and replaced with worn out stuff
New tires - New to him (via pick n pull)
Great recreational unit - Cannot be legally driven on the highway

I could go on but I find it quite sad that people treat others like this.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:25 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1959 18' "Footer"
Corpus Christi , Texas
Sounds like you looked at the first ones I saw!
Next time you find one in CC give me a call to check it out.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:43 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Yes, there is your Curtis!

Quote:
Carol....I'm a very eclectic Airstreamer. If it catches my fancy.....I'm there.
Can you deny the "charm" of a Bambi, a Flying Cloud or a 21' Sovereign? Then again, there is my Curtis.

Hey, I'm not being critical here, just saying the odds are with you!

Carol
tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 01:41 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1968 28' Ambassador
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch
If you see an Airstream for sale in the Classifieds or Craigs.....you are an Idiot if you even consider paying for it before seeing it.

In the past two weeks I have purchased a round trip ticket from Monterey, Calif. to St. Louis, had two hotel rooms for two nights, hired a sitter, spent numerous hours of prep time....only to have the seller decide the last day to give a local buyer a "chance." I know....no consideration was exchanged....my Bad.

Not to worry, I drove to Louisiana to look at a pristine 64 Bambi....did not pay in advance like I was asked to. A PIECE OF CRAP....the floor was so bad he even had a 4 x 8 3/4 plywood laying on top of the rotted floor and covered with 1969 yellow shag. He could have removed the dead mice and rat poison boxes before I got there. You know the smell of really dead rodent?

Never mind! I then went to Corpus Christi to pick up the 1994 21' Sovereign I had been searching for....It appeared to have been used as a dog kennel for the past two years and the interior walls and ceiling were completely delaminated.

Never mind! I had a 1954 Cloud in original perfect condition located n Arkansas. Off I went this AM. I still smell the mouse piss and mold. It only needed a new door, new brakes and tires, a new floor (probably a frame)all new windows, access doors, window weather shields, a belly pan, wiring, water system and none of the appliances worked, and the entire interior tossed ...but still ready to camp in.

OMG I am so sorry for your troubles and bad luck.
I hope that my situation turns out differently. I just sent a check for a 68 International in Louisiana (I have family there and visit quite often) I live in Alaska. My best friend checked it out for me , It's 35 minutes away from my hometown and hopefully everything will work out just fine. My brother will pick it up for me as soon as the check clears. Crossing my fingers.

Good luck !

Happy to finally be part of the crowd
La.2Ak. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:50 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Pulaski , Tennessee
Quote:
If you see an Airstream for sale in the Classifieds or Craigs.....you are an Idiot if you even consider paying for it before seeing it.

In the past two weeks I have purchased a round trip ticket from Monterey, Calif. to St. Louis, had two hotel rooms for two nights, hired a sitter, spent numerous hours of prep time....only to have the seller decide the last day to give a local buyer a "chance." I know....no consideration was exchanged....my Bad.

Not to worry, I drove to Louisiana to look at a pristine 64 Bambi....did not pay in advance like I was asked to. A PIECE OF CRAP....the floor was so bad he even had a 4 x 8 3/4 plywood laying on top of the rotted floor and covered with 1969 yellow shag. He could have removed the dead mice and rat poison boxes before I got there. You know the smell of really dead rodent?

Never mind! I then went to Corpus Christi to pick up the 1994 21' Sovereign I had been searching for....It appeared to have been used as a dog kennel for the past two years and the interior walls and ceiling were completely delaminated.

Never mind! I had a 1954 Cloud in original perfect condition located n Arkansas. Off I went this AM. I still smell the mouse piss and mold. It only needed a new door, new brakes and tires, a new floor (probably a frame)all new windows, access doors, window weather shields, a belly pan, wiring, water system and none of the appliances worked, and the entire interior tossed ...but still ready to camp in.

I went to Michigan to find my current trailer. Before I went I obtained an extensive set of pictures from the seller that covered almost every foot of the trailer inside and out. When I got to Michigan the trailer was every bit of what I expected and I negotiated a final price and pulled it home.
07' Classic 31, 11' Dodge 3500 Cummins
au_ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:52 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1971 27' Overlander
1957 22' Caravanner
Jourdanton , Texas
We had good luck buying a '57 Caravanner off Craig's List...in Alaska! (Problem now, of course, is getting it home, but that's another adventure.) To his credit, my husband did his due diligence: he talked to the previous owner, got pictures, talked to the seller, got more pictures, and finally had our son who lives in Anchorage go look at it, pay for it and take it to his house. We had good feelings based on conversations with the seller and it has all worked out. Cannot wait to get it home and start working on it.
Paula
pienjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:58 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' International CCD
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by au_ee View Post
Before I went I obtained an extensive set of pictures from the seller that covered almost every foot of the trailer inside and out. ...the trailer was every bit of what I expected...
This describes our purchase from Mojo except we sent him a $1k deposit before seeing the trailer in person; but after looking at DOZENS of current pictures, researching all his previous posts/experiences his trailer looking for issues and getting all our questions answered before leaving.

I imagine it is MUCH more difficult to gauge a restoration by photo than look for flaws in a "like-new" trailer. (IMOSellers are unlikely to send the "worst" photos for long-distance scrutiny anyhow.) Sounds to me like OP may have avoided some of the headaches by requiring extensive pictures before a in-person visit and that's good advice from OP for all prospective buyers of anything used and expensive.
SoCalStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:29 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Oh boy do I know that one - when I first got my 58 Overlander I was REALLY hoping someone would steal it - or maybe I could just leave it on the side of the road - you see the people I bought it from really, honestly thought they had something great and my wife was saying "WE" could fix it up so I went ahead with it - well "we" is "me" and for 3 1/2 years I spent more time underneath it than in it - I can tell you camping is wayyyyy more fun than rebuilding an entire trailer........... but , the one thing about Airstream, is there isn't anything that can't be made new again......

Oh the one I liked - its got all original zolotone - its painted over - but its all there!

Just takes a ..... little.... time......and a ...... little....... money

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:34 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Red face Are you sure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J View Post
Oh boy do I know that one - when I first got my 58 Overlander I was REALLY hoping someone would steal it - or maybe I could just leave it on the side of the road - you see the people I bought it from really, honestly thought they had something great and my wife was saying "WE" could fix it up so I went ahead with it - well "we" is "me" and for 3 1/2 years I spent more time underneath it than in it - I can tell you camping is wayyyyy more fun than rebuilding an entire trailer........... but , the one thing about Airstream, is there isn't anything that can't be made new again......

Oh the one I liked - its got all original zolotone - its painted over - but its all there!

Ken J.
It's not a...LOTTA....time and a.....LOTTA....money? Either I'm spending too much or am slow or both
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:48 AM   #34
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
I think you are building up some serious Karma somewhere, and I believe that some magically beautiful TT will come your way.

Hang in there, MR!
Old 03-26-2011, 09:12 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
You got it -

Ken J.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHoot View Post
It's not a...LOTTA....time and a.....LOTTA....money? Either I'm spending too much or am slow or both
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:22 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
More AS's

I saw a number of AS's on Tin Can Tourist web site. You might check it out.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:42 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
I was the winning bidder on a 78 Ambassador "fixer" on eBay, and within 2 days of winning the bid the nervous seller filed a "cancell transaction" with eBay and sold tghe thing to a local buyer! I had to cancel transport bidders, took time from a generous forum member who had some of the parts I needed, etc. It's very frustrating. I am sorry to hear about your troubles.
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:33 AM   #38

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrunes View Post
I was the winning bidder on a 78 Ambassador "fixer" on eBay, and within 2 days of winning the bid the nervous seller filed a "cancell transaction" with eBay and sold tghe thing to a local buyer! I had to cancel transport bidders, took time from a generous forum member who had some of the parts I needed, etc. It's very frustrating. I am sorry to hear about your troubles.
"Nervous seller" eh? How charitable of you. I'd translate that as "scumbag seller got a local offer for a higher price than your winning bid AFTER the ebay sale closed and screwed you out of the deal he'd agreed on." But then I'm the cynical type.
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:48 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Cruisin , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J View Post

Ken J.

We had no idea how much of a project we were getting into! Only been 2 1/2 years for us and mostly good.

We do feel fortunate for coming across our 54Cruiser, I don;t know what I would have done with my spare time and money otherwise
Hopefully this year we will get into some camping time in her.

Just takes a ....lot time ....and a ....lotmoneyGota keep smiling

It has been a fun experience though and will probably do it again.

Your airstream is out there and it will find you! Keep looking!
Doug

https://tinman54.blogspot.com/
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f228...tml#post616014
tinman54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:51 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Cadet , Missouri
Boy we got ours 2 weeks ago you guys are scaring me. It was on craigslist for about 3-4 weeks. Wonder if any of you experienced guys looked at it and passed it over? Wonder if were not seeing maybe what you saw. Being inexperienced stinks. To us it looked like a great opportunity. It didn't seem to have more than we could handle with time. But now you guys have me kinda frightened of what we might not be seeing.

TAC-MO-08
WBCCI-29835
Love shack is offline   Reply With Quote