Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-25-2015, 11:57 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Your Wife is correct.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
A lot of hours, Probably 100 or more on the first polishing ( plus stripping the clearcoat on a newer unit) If the coating on your unit is decent don't even think about it.

If you do go ahead ,slave labor , like children or grandchildren will help
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 07:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Depends on a lot of variables...
  • Weather - more humidity will cause the polish to dull quicker
  • Location - beach areas will cause it to corroded more
  • Storage - stored indoors will keep the shine better
  • Maintenance - a "once a year" polish freshen-up (20+/- hours) will help maintain the polish so you don't have to start from scratch every time
  • Periodic washings & waxing help
  • Travel - do you plan on traveling to the beach or in the snow w/salted roads - both these types of trips will require thorough washings after (during?) each trip

The nice thing is, if it has been polished and no new clear coat applied, it oxidizes slowly & evenly. If you ever decide to take on the effort to bring it back to a high polish, it's going to be a lot easier if it's already been polished before. You'll only be dealing with the oxidation from 3-5 years (or whatever) instead of 30+ years worth of oxidation.

Ours is highly polished. We have gone through phases of being "festidious" about the polish job and others when we care "not so much". We love the polished look and are willing to do what it takes to get the "Ohs" & "Ahs".

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:18 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Cumming , Georgia
Polishing...so easy a cave woman could do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbailey01 View Post
Looking at a '74 Trade Wind that is brightly polished. My wife says I am too
lazy to keep it looking good. She may be right. How much does it take to keep them looking good?
Let your wife know that you read online that several husband/wife teams have done yearly maintenance polishing in about 8 hours. Let us know what her reaction is! I know what my wife's reaction would be.

The best polish jobs I've seen were in fact done by one particular woman...many who read this will know who it is.

I've done maintenance polishing on my Caravel in under 7 hours...but there again, it isn't perfectly polished....and I keep it inside...except in the summer.

I'm currently polishing someone else's Bambi. Here's some results from yesterday, 1/26. The black residue will be gone when finished.

Thanks, G
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A_polish_1.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	231174   Click image for larger version

Name:	A_polish_2.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	231175  

Click image for larger version

Name:	A_polish_3.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	231176  

As I saw written one time:
"I don't always tow a travel trailer, but when I do, I tow an Airstream"...stay thirsty my friends.
StreaminGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:21 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Cumming , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
Depends on a lot of variables...
  • Weather - more humidity will cause the polish to dull quicker
  • Location - beach areas will cause it to corroded more
  • Storage - stored indoors will keep the shine better
  • Maintenance - a "once a year" polish freshen-up (20+/- hours) will help maintain the polish so you don't have to start from scratch every time
  • Periodic washings & waxing help
  • Travel - do you plan on traveling to the beach or in the snow w/salted roads - both these types of trips will require thorough washings after (during?) each trip

The nice thing is, if it has been polished and no new clear coat applied, it oxidizes slowly & evenly. If you ever decide to take on the effort to bring it back to a high polish, it's going to be a lot easier if it's already been polished before. You'll only be dealing with the oxidation from 3-5 years (or whatever) instead of 30+ years worth of oxidation.

Ours is highly polished. We have gone through phases of being "festidious" about the polish job and others when we care "not so much". We love the polished look and are willing to do what it takes to get the "Ohs" & "Ahs".

Shari

Agreed on all!

G
StreaminGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 12:33 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1959 18' "Footer"
Newton Abbot , Devon

Console your wife it is not one of these...!
1947liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 01:34 PM   #7
Gazoo!

1963 19' Globetrotter
Denver , Colorado
My '63 Globetrotter has been polished ...

... However, not by me. I purchased in 2012, used it in the summer but now currently deployed in middle east serving America. When I return, would like to know how the steps to polish it back to that mirror finish.
Might there be a training video or slides to demonstrate the steps for this?

Thanks,
Michael
Sweneau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 03:48 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Colorado Springs , Colorado
We have a 1972 27' Airstream, clear coat gone, polished. We polish it once before summer season and again when putting it up (outside) for the winter in Colorado. Takes us about 6 hours to keep the shine. Prior to a trip, or after a rain, we just take a damp cloth, rub a section at a time and dry with fleece. Keeps it looking great. We probably don't need to do 2 polish's a year, but we do.
jvannamee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 03:51 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Colorado Springs , Colorado
One more thing. Don't cover it. Even if you keep it outside. You will be dealing with black streaks all over your Airstream from the inside of the cover.
jvannamee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 05:01 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
SWEET Cessna 195! Aluminum airplanes SHOULD be polished.

Nothing prettier in the World than a polished P-51.

All that being said....I have an Avion that is Anodized, and you cannot get the beautiful Mirror Finish of an Alclad Airstream. But, I polish it up with ParFe wax as best I can, and you can still comb your hair in it, and I had it at an event at WVU with everything from Coleman popups to Prevost Motor Coaches....and the guy across from me came over, shook my hand, and said "Buddy, your trailer looks great. Only problem is that the sun reflecting off the skin BLINDS me!" Old fellow was laughing when he told me that. I took it as a compliment

Polish that metal!
Old 01-27-2015, 05:32 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
seffner , Florida
keeping up the shine

I will tell you that keeping up the shine is EASY,EASY,EASY, once you get it polished !
We live in Tampa Florida , and my 1972 21 foot Globetrotter is not inside
a barn or garage .
We bought the wonder hut two years ago from a guy who did not care about the shine , and I love a polished Airstream, and so do other campers .
I can do a quick clean up polish on in 2 hours with Johnny Cash on the radio and a beer in my hand . I love doing it , anyway . But there are alot of tricks you can learn......
joseph lamb is offline   Reply With Quote