Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-18-2015, 02:52 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Oliver , British Columbia
That's my bus! Amazing! I was hoping it would be a sister vehicle, buts it's fun to see an old pic of her. I'll contact the previous owner and link him to it. I think I might just have the only one. Some things will just remain a mystery.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
guhleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 02:59 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
I thought it might be yours since that decal was on it
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 03:08 PM   #23
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
Thanks for the pics. Big project for sure. Looks very worthy of the reno. Ive never seen a drive wheel system like that before. Is that unique to those motorhomes or is it used in other applications? Like tandem trucks? Must be one heck of a belt
The concept was developed and marketed by Silent Drive, when heavy trucks were first getting tag axles decades back and experienced traction problems due to only one axle being driven.

This concept was overtaken by traditional tandem axles with both axles driving. The Silent Drive system was apparently marketed up to the 1970's.

Silent Drive still exists, and went on to develop suspension lift tag axles for heavy trucks.

Silent Drive Inc., Premier Suspension Manufacturer :: The History of Silent Drive Inc.

Jeff
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:33 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

Oliver , British Columbia
Cool stuff! Thanks Jeff for the great info.

And thanks again to everyone for all the interest. I'll keep updating as the kitchen gets installed. Maybe I'll take her on the road next summer. Are any of your rally events big enough to need a giant catering vehicle? We could do a pig roast!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
guhleman is offline   Reply With Quote